Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wacky Idea?? Roots compressor for the shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecheappolock, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Could a Gmc 4-53 blower be fitted to my 60 gal. compressor instead of the conventional 2-stage pump? The compressor works fine but it's loud and it's in the garage right under the bedrooms. I've got a "spare" 4-53, that's in really good shape, and I'm thinking it would be a lot quieter.
    I'm probably out of my mind, but, if nothing else, might be a good conversation piece.

Thoughts?

Dan

2. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I'm not 100% sure it would work, but if you did it and threw a dummy 4 barrel and air cleaner on it, you'd be my hero.

Seriously...

3. I heard a long time ago that the "original" use for a roots blower was to pump fresh air into mine shafts. Then they got stuck on either a gas or a diesel engine and the rest is history. But, that version could have been just made up, I don't know.
    It seems that it wouldn't take long to recharge the tank, or you could run the blower at a slower r.p.m. to keep it cooler.

Dan

4. i dont know if the effiency is good enought to use with the 4-53...i am using a m90 of a gtp lol
    tk

5. RichG

RichG

There are screw type industrial compressors...I guess you'd have to figure out a way to separate the blower from the pressure chamber, as I'm thinking that the supercharger isn't air tight or up to holding a static pressure of over a hundred PSI.

Would it work? Beats me, but imagine if it did, you'd be the only one with one on your block!:p

6. squirrel

squirrel

normal roots blower would not work too well to make enough pressure to run air tools, but a screw type (industrial) compressor would

A roots blower isn't really a compressor, it's more of a low pressure pump

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

To generate under 10 lbs of boost for a small block, they need say 15 horsepower. Lots of volume but not alot of pressure. volume and pressure are not the same thing.

8. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I had a roots rotary lobe industial blower once upon a time. I wondered the same thing about it. Thought about trying it but a friend of mine had an actual use for it so he wound up with it.

It was similar to the this one. Anybody know if that would work in a compressor application or are they to low pressure? Just curious. They are a lot quiter than a regular compressor. Would be nice it it would work.

Attached Files:

9. It would look cool as hell with a dummy carb and an air filter on top wouldnt it? CJ steak, you think real good!
    squirrel and 53sled, might make a great set-up for an hvlp sprayer.

10. McDeuce

McDeuce

Car blowers dont have enough pressure, lots of volume but not the pressure. But it is a really cool idea.

11. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

The manufactoring plant I work in uses the roots blowers to push and pull plastic resin (BB sizes beeds). It works really well but at low pressure and has to run 90% of the time to keep up the flow to the storage bin. The entire plant is on three screw compressors and the run 100% of the tme. When they are off you have no air, they also create a lot or heat and this leads to lots of water/oil in the lines, with filters and seperators every where. Maintenance is a constant must with this type of a set up. I wouls not waste time or money to try this at home!!!

12. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

they are technically just an air compressor. The cubic feet of volume and the pressure that they are able to produce would be the question. What do most superchargers put out say, 10 psi, or 15 psi. Most resi shop air compressors are good for 150 psi, then you regulate down to what you need. That being said, I don't think you'd have enough pressure, let alone volume. Then again, this is just what I think to be true based on limited knowledge. Maybe a roots type blower would be capable of much more than this.

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

As others have said - not efficient enough - IE too much blowby.

You'd be better off finding an old engine and convert it instead.

14. uc4me

uc4me

It'd be cool but for the time and headaches involved I think you'd be better off finding an older reciprocating compressor....heres a pic of mine, its a V4 Brunner, you don't even have to raise your voice to talk to someone when it kicks on

Attached Files:

15. That does make sense, makes volume, not a lot of pressure. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll get back to making the end plates for the blower, and use it on some engine, like I originally planned. Maybe a big GMC 6-holer.....

Thanks Again,

Dan

16. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

I worked on a Harvest Crew when I Got the "Final Slip" from High School.
    We had an air compressor mounted in the back of our service truck.
    This was a 302 Ford that ran on 4 cylinders. The Right bank had been converted to compress air. This old girl really put out the Air. There was a modified Exhaust manifold and it ran to a 100 gallon propane tank for reserve. Turn the key and it ran about 900 rpm. Holy shit did it push air through a 3/4 hose! You could blow the paint of shit with that one!:D

I have since been thinking about setting one up behind the Shop for operating my Blaster, but I am too lazy I guess.....:rolleyes:

CJ