Register now to get rid of these ads!

mixing early ford and Bedix brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5foot2, Nov 24, 2009.

1. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

So I have the front and rear out of a 36 ford. I'm digging the wide five look and I'd like to use it on my A build. MAC's lists a Bendix hydro front brake kit for 36 fords (B-2013-PR, $450) and another Bendix kit for the rear (48-2213-PR, $650). The rear strikes me as way overpriced since from what I've read I can use 39 and later backing plates with the original drums.

If I roll my own solution on the rear and buy the MAC front end kit I'd end up mixing Bendix and early for brakes. I don't think this would be a problem, but I figure I should ask around first.

Is this a bad idea?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Been done for forever!! Most braking is done by the front anyway.

3. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I think the only difference, and difference in cost, is the rears are set up for e-brakes.

4. Why not just buy some 39 - 48 backing plates and be done with it? If you really want bendix type, I think Bass did a quick thing on how to adapt bendix to 39-48 type backing plates..........or maybe he was selling them......something. it just seems like a pricey kit to me fro something you could prob sort out yourself.

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

someone on here posted a model A converted to hydrolic brakes using the stock wheel cylinder hole on mechanical brakes. i think it was in south america? and i think it was an early chevy wheel cylinder?? its been a few years... but converting it to the later ford brakes will only cost you about 600 for the entire car. maybe less(like 150) if you can rebuild some stock stuff yourself.

6. colorado kid

colorado kid
    BANNED
    from Colorado

you should listen to aussiesteve he knows everything

7. I have purchased two complete sets from Vaphead. Join the Alliance. You will save 10% and get free shipping. More than covers the cost of joining. I am almost certain MACs sells the same backing plates. Vaphead's list price is less as well.

8. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

why are my ears burning?
    huh what?

9. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Alliance membership is on my short list.

Vaphead. Do you have a packaged setup to run front bendix brakes using 36 wide five drums? MAC's has a listing for them, and with all I've been reading on the HAMB about the difficulties with the 36 drum a packaged setup seemed like a good way to go.

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i think the issue was the 36 drums wont fit the 37-48 spindles. but if you have the 36 spindles, then you need to buy adapter rings from speedway, and then oval out the holes on the 40 ford brake setups.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

To use "wide five" hub/drum assemblies on the hydraulic backing plates you must use the 37-39 hub/drum assemblies. These would require the hydraulic brake adapter kits to mount them to the spindles. If the spindles are marked 48- the bearing spacers will be required, if marked 68- they will not as the 68- spindles have the shorter stub axle like the 37-41 spindles.

12. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I do have the Lincoln backing plates for early spindles.(#1004)
    but as stated,1937-39 hub/drum is needed for the front.and bearing spacer.

13. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Thanks Vap, that's what I thought. After the holiday I'm going to call MAC's and confirm the kit they have does indeed fit the '36. If it fits, it seems like I'd be money ahead compared to sourcing hubs/drums and backing plates from a later ford.

14. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

It wont.
    They source the parts thru us.
    It will bolt on to the early spindle but that's it.

15. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Too bad. I guess I'll start searching from some 37 or later drums.

Thanks.

16. Southfork

Southfork

I've got some Ford wide-5 front brakes, backing plates and drums that are on a beam axle that originally had parallel leaf springs rather than transverse springs. Would these hydraulic brakes work OK using '37- '40 Ford spindles on a 32 - 36 axle?

17. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Well, I don't think he sells 37-39 wide five hub/drum combos. Perhaps you missed that detail.

18. To my knowledge no one sells "new" 37-39 front drums and hubs. There may be some NOS stashed out there. But used is the only source that I know and "used up" is usually more accurate. More than one 37-39 Ford has been upgraded to 40-48 hubs, drums, and wheels to solve this problem.

19. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Your suggestion implies that I'm screwing Vaphead after he gave me some good advice, which of course is impossible since he doesn't sell the parts I was inquiring about anyway.

I mentioned MAC's because they do list a part that they claim fits the '36 front end I have but Vaphead then tells me he supplies MAC's so he's sure it's not the part I need.

So since it seems I'm not doing to be able to use the '36 drums I have I'll have to find some 37-39 parts, which no one sells new.

As for the actual brakes I want a Bendix system so I'll be looking for the best deal on a quality part, and with the alliance discount Vaphead seems to be the guy to deal with on both price and quality.

Is that clear enough for ya? Does that meet with your approval?

20. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Since it seems there's no practical way to use the '36 hubs I hope people are pressing out the studs and saving the drums. At some point serviceable drums are going to get scarce.