Register now to get rid of these ads!

unfreeze foozen engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hlhpa, Nov 24, 2009.

1. hlhpa

hlhpa

:confused: HELP! What is you best formula to unfreeze frooze engine????

2. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Put it in the sun.

Clay Belt likes this.
  3. Blackie

Blackie

Place in microwave. 10 minutes on the defrost setting should do it.

Clay Belt likes this.
  4. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

A little more info please! Brand and size of engine?

5. 31modelo

31modelo

Marvel Mystery Oil set it and forget it

Clay Belt likes this.
  6. hlhpa

hlhpa

engine :1956 Buick 322.

7. budd

budd

pull the plugs and have a look inside the cylinders, if you see rust then don't try and roll it over, you will score the walls and pistons up, thats my take on stuck engines.

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Probably best to pull it apart unless you know it's history. You can always go MM oil and big cheater to rock it back and forth.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

would that be a Chip Foozen engine?:D:p

or a Foozen Chipped engine

Clay Belt likes this.
  10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

marvel mystery oil in cylinders let it set a day or 2 if your working on a straight shift,you can rock the car backwards and forwards (in gear)till it breaks loose if it will. (done a 6 cyl 55 chevy like this)
    I have heard some of the old automatics will kick in gear while pulling them after a certain speed, things could break, but I have heard the old timers talk about gettin them unstuck like that..................I done a straight shift 64 valiant like that by popping the clutch and it came unstuck. It ran great after a carb was installed
    socket on the end of the crank.
    vice grips on the flywheel.
    try to turn the flywheel with tire tool or pry bar against/between flywheel teeth and block or tranny

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'se preparin' a foozen torkey for Thanksgivin', how many days should I hang it out to defooze?

Clay Belt likes this.
  12. According to my Foozen Shop Manual 31modelo is correct.

13. twofosho

twofosho

Pull the plugs, dump a 50/50 mix of ATF (your choice of brand) and pure acetone (still available in gallon cans at Home Depot last time I checked) down the cylinders (a small "squirt" type oil can works well for this). Don't be afraid to fill them up until it is running out and if the motor isn't bolted into anything, lean it over to put the spark plug hole at the top to get more in. Screw the plugs back in a couple of turns and wait. Check it every couple of days and refill the cylinders that are "down". Try rocking the crank every now and then. Just remember to pull out the plugs every time before you do it (the old liquid doesn't compress thing).

If that fails, you can always take apart the bits that will come apart and soak the main lump in a wash tub of the stuff.

14. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

too funny!i have taken out plugs put some trans fluid in them and let it sit for a couple days.if you can try to take dist.out and prime the engine{keep spinning drill till you feel alot of drag or the drill starts smoking}then either breaker bar on crank bolt{dont strip or break}or try a prybar on the flywheel.

15. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I agree this could work but it also could cause damage. I tried to unfreeze a 216ci in a 52 Chevy this way. The pavement was very coarse so traction was good. Even though we soaked down the cylinders for a few weeks with Marvel Mystery oil and this car came out of dry storage the engine was stuck worse than expected. The fairly new pull strap snapped and went slinging towards the pull vehicle and hit with a load bang.

Clay Belt likes this.
  16. krooser

krooser

Spell check is EVERYBODY's friend...

17. hlhpa

hlhpa

twofosho; I like your formula, I'll give that a try.
    Thanks

18. If you search "stuck engine" or the like you should find several threads. There is no *right* answer to this question, and no two guys will give the exact same answer.

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I would disassemble it as far as possible and remove the pistons one at a time and hope only one was seized.

20. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

21. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

I hope this isn't for another rat rod. Foozen engines..........ah hell, I got nothin

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. hlhpa

hlhpa

53sled,
    That's what I did on the first engine ,but I was unable to rotate the crank, the ridge was keeping the pistons from coming out and the ridge remover needed the piston lower down in cylinder to work, I got a few out, but they where not stuck any way.
    Thanks for comment.

23. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HLHPA...first off stop trying to turn it over. take the engine apart to find the problem. and if your not a mechanic, what's the point? you will need someone who is. i don't mean to sound harsh. it's just the way it is...POP.

24. I wanna know if you get any movement at all with either the starter or a crank turning tool. Also, do you know anything about where and how long it sat? Just curious. But, any kind of a penetrating type oil (Kroil/PB/Liquid wrench/WD/ATF and acetone) in the cylinders. Leave out the spark plugs. HOPEFULLY, if you get some movement, I say rock it back and forth with a flywheel turner. Or, alternate tapping the starter, then turn as far as you can the opposite direction with the flywheel tool until it's free. Don't "lean" on the starter. I've freed some really stuck motors that ended up running perfectly. So frozen, I'm sure they'd look like ass inside had I opened them up. It's amazing how resilient an internal combustion motor can be

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yes, IT'S BUGGIN' you. But, slow down and do what RustyNewYorker said: Drop back and SEARCH the previous threads on the subject. These are written by guys who've DONE it successfully. If you go slowly, the enigne may ocme back to life with LESS $$$ to you.

As has been stated, FORCE the issue, and you break rings, etc., and INCREASE your rebuild costs.

26. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

I had a flathead that was stuck once. I took the heads off and soaked the cylinders down with PB Blaster (aerosol can with yellow cap or skunk piss) kept spraying the top of the piston and outside edge of the pistons so the rings got soaked down as they are what are stuck for almost a week. I then took a propane torch (like plumbers use) and lightly heated the piston and cylinder once warm I took a screw driver to the flywheel and rocked it back and forthe until it broke loose. I also honed the top of the cylinder with a stone hone so I could remove the piston once free to make sure the rings were not stuck of broken.

27. indyjps

indyjps

I read an article where different penetrating oil compounds were tested, ATF and acetone ranked the highest with Kroil coming in second, PB blaster WD40 were quite a way down the list. Ill post the article if I can find it again.

Id pull the heads and check for damage on the engine. new gaskets arent that expensive and then you know where you stand.

28. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

If all else fails and the motors out and in a stand you could flip the motor and pull the pan then dump crushed dry ice into the bottoms of the pistons.
    The extreme cold hopefully will contract the pistons enough to break them loose.

29. 61bone

61bone

If it has Aluminum pistons, put it in a caustic soda bath. In a few hours the pistons will be gone and then you can do whatever you like with the rest.

30. hlhpa

hlhpa

What is a caustic soda?.Does it leave the block, rods and crank alone?
    I will put acetone and ATF in cylinders this week end and let you know next week how it works out. Thanks for all the ideals.
    I can't put it out in the sun until next summer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009