Register now to get rid of these ads!

C9 ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retorq, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

I met Jay many years ago on another board. We had a whole lot of e-mail conversations about a myriad of different subjects and although we didn't always see eye to eye, I considered him a friend.

Its always a sad day when any car guy passes on and I will keep Jay and his entire family in my prayers. His wisdom and wit will be surely missed.

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Funny how you can shed a tear for someone you've never actually met. I talked to Jay a few different times about some different random things and he was always a great help and super friendly and easy to talk to. Even had an invite to stop by with my wife next time we drove through Kingman on the way to visit the wife's family in Phoenix. Sad I'll never get that chance. Will miss his writing and insights...my heart and prayers go out to his family.

3. Haven't been on the computer today and spotted this on the Canadian Rodder site. Came to the Hamb rite away to see if it was true. Sad news indeed. Passing of another legend. Jay will be missed worldwide, not many people can say that. My condolences to the family. Pat.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am so terribly sorry to hear about this,..... prayers for his family.

5. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Words typed on an Internet page seem inadequate. I would hope all of us have him in our thoughts, and you, Gay, and your Family, in our prayers......

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

RIP Jay ...

[​IMG]

Jay and wife ... :D

Jay and I spoke a few times over the phone. A few PM's also. I was supposed to stop this June ... on my way out to LA for the LA Roadster show. When he was doing " Pinky " ... he talked to me about using my old 40 Ford coupe's photo on the book.

Jay loved hot rods and guns ;)
    but he loved his wife ... even more :D :D :D

Jay will be missed ...

7. Like DrJ I first met Jay at the Taco stand at the "hot rods & hot cuisine" week. You were never a stranger with Jay! He had a great personality and was a lot of fun to be around.

I remember the bunch of us were trying to get to So-Cal speed shop before it closed so we were flying down the freeway, when we pulled into the parking lot Jay said he wasn't sure how fast we were going but that was the first time his shift light ever came on in high gear!

We will miss him. Condolences to his family.

Mick

8. volken65

volken65

oh no.... that's sad news.
    met him once... way cool guy

9. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

10. Justin B

Justin B

wow.......

sure wasn't expecting to see this news, i never met jay in person but always enjoyed his posts, from the tech stuff to the great stories he deffinetly brought something special to the hamb community.

rip

11. Very sad news. A H.A.M.B. legend for sure. I highly recommend his book California Hot Rodder. A true account of a young guy growing up a gearhead in Ventura. Seemed kike a good guy for his whole life. It says alot when you leave this world with as much respect as Jay has.

12. I'm another face in the crowd that he influenced without knowing it. My condolences to Gay and family.

13. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

WOW....I like many others never got a chance to meet C9, but was able to read and learn from him as if he was a true friend. Unlike C9, I am not a gifted writer, can't hardly spell and typing, to me, sucks!! Pay no attention to punctuality either. Words are really hard to find now....to his wife and family as well as his legion of friends my condolences, prayers, best wishes and most of all THANKS. He was one rare bird...better than most but treated all as equals. RIP BIG MAN...GOD SPEED AND HAPPY ROADSTERING IN THE SKY. Gay, if there is anything any of us can do, please let us know. My thoughts and prayers, sincerely Al Larsen, aka 333 Half Evil

14. BigJim394

BigJim394

I am so sad to hear of his passing.
    When I log onto the HAMB, I look at topics I might be interested in reading, but also look at who posted the topic and who made the latest reply. If there was a reply by C9, I always took a look at that thread to see what he had to say. I do that for very few HAMBers. He was one of the most knowledgeable, least judgemental HAMBers. He would give mechanical / technical advice, with a "that's the way I would do it or did it" kind of feel, and never saying his way, was the only "right" way. I'll miss his writing (both technical and fiction) greatly.

15. Mel

Mel

My condolences to Gay and the family. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Although I never met Jay, I greatly enjoyed his writings and contributions to the board. He will be missed. Godspeed.

16. Jay was as generous as he was crafty. I originally met him on the original Rodder's Round Table in the late 90's. He was a wealth of knowledge, and helped out with advice, and parts he whittled out on his lathe. When Mike Bishop wrote about using a "in-tact" wishbone in the rear of a hot rod... I thought "man, what a great idea!"... Jay was quick to offer up a set of '36 bones, for free, for use on the Roach Rod. He had taped them up with duct tape, and wrote my name and address on them with a Sharpie. I thought it was so neat to have something that he had wrote on, that I left the writing on the bones... it was still on them when I sold the car... I used to look under it and chuckle...
    I'll miss you Jay.
    Sam

17. ratster

ratster

RIP my friend

18. Muttley

Muttley

Wow, this really is shocking news, RIP Jay. :( :(

19. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

My condiolences to Jay's family. He will be missed on the HAMB by all.

20. Chuck R

Chuck R

RIP Jay, Loved your stories, dug your cars. You always were there to help with a wealth of knowledge. You are missed today, and will be forever.
    chuck

21. Rrumbler

Rrumbler

I am shocked to hear this, to say the least. My prayers and condolences to Jay's family and friends.

It is funny how a couple of guys can travel so many of the same roads in life, figuratively and literally, in the same frame of time, and never meet in person. I always enjoyed and appreciated his writing, and his posts here and on other boards, and considered him one of the "Good Guys". I will miss his presence.

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This is soooo sad. I didnt know him in person but chatted a few times and read a lot of his stuff.
    Cant belive "Mr slotmags" is no longer w/ us.
    Cant even get to the end of the thread. :(

23. titus

titus

Wow, sad news, Jay sent me a copy of his book when i won tech week long ago, heres a scan of inside the cover, great book, great guy.

RIP

JEFF

Attached Files:

24. Sailor

Sailor

Oh man, C9. He was easily my favorite writer on the hamb. Also: this needs to be said: back in the earlier times of the hamb things were fun, but could be pretty rough. In that setting guys like C9 was a relief. He was allways polite and nice, but obviously had great knowledge and generously shared it. Simply a good man. And he took the time to write down some pretty damn great and everinspiring pieces. "Customs are for the night". I remember several of them. Rest in peace my friend.

25. Life is to short.
    Rest in peace Jay.

26. Just, unbelievable! Another fountain of knowledge, turned off, too soon.

27. Condolences to Gay, family and friends.
    Rest In Peace Jay.

28. RIP. That is a real shock. Only knew him for a few months but we had a lot of fun critiquing each other's stories. He'll be missed. For those of you who enjoy a good yarn go read Jay's work on the Writers' Board social group.

29. Lucky77

Lucky77

Man, what a kick to the gut. Jay was one of my favorite guys on the HAMB. He'll truly be missed, RIP.

30. 63Compact

63Compact

RIP and thank you for recording those great stories of days gone by.