Register now to get rid of these ads!

industrial sewing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill wilson, Nov 21, 2009.

1. bill wilson

bill wilson

what is a good brand of industrial sewing machine?:)

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Consew, Singer, Pfaff, Juki. To name a few.

3. bill wilson

bill wilson

thanks bob going to start sewing my own.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

any specific models that anyone recommends?

5. Just make sure it has a walking foot.......A reverser is a plus.......

6. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

There is a place in KC that has industrial Juki's- I have the info at work, I will try to remember and post next week.

We have Juki's at work, other than set up I haven't had to repair them, but they dont get used. Wife has a Singer, but same story- no repairs but almost no use.

David

7. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have been researching this for the last few months.
    I have found that Juki or pfaff are the prefered choices for a reliable long term investment machine 1500.00-2000.00 range . The consew used to be the best but they are made in china now and are not as reliable as they used to be. If you are going to sew anything thicker than 1/4inch foam you will need a walking foot machine. I purchased an old singer industrial and quickly found out that it caused the material to bunch up when I tried to sew 1/2inch foam for seat covers. I contacted my local sewing machine repair shop and local upholsters for info. My local repair shop was very helpful and even let me test a juki he was servicing. I will be upgrading to the juki as soon as I can afford it.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

After pricing complete interiors from places I admire... I've realized that I'm going to have to make my own. I've been doing some research and since I want saddle leather interior I'm going to go with a Tippmann Boss Leather Sewing Machine. It's pretty old school and since seeing them used (hand powered) I know I can completely do this.

I'm going to start with my roadster first, as practice... then onto the coupe as it progresses.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try calling Quality Industrial Sew in Grand Island NE. They have a web site. Ron has been a regular at NSRA and some Goodguy events for many years. Will steer you in the right direction.

10. bill wilson

bill wilson

11. Moondog13

Moondog13

I've got an old 70s Singer 281-3. Still going strong!

12. mj40's

mj40's

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a Juki 555-4. It is not a walking foot. I wish it was, but a good walking foot industrial machine is way out of my range. It took some getting used to. It is sweat-shop fast and will sew .090 3003 with the right needle, or your finger.

14. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  15. Mine is a Yamaha brand.
    Sorry, not sure of model.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Juki, with a walking foot. My friend has one for sale. He is a car guy. Trouble is he's in FL.

17. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

One of my son-in-laws father has an upholstery shop, he has a Pfaff & loves it.

18. Merge

Merge

I currently have a Consew 206 and love it, easy to change stitch length and have had no problems whatsoever. At work we have a couple of Pfaff and Adler sewing machines. The Adler machine is a workhorse with all kinds of features my Consew can only dream of. Biggest thing is getting a "walking foot" machine to do any kind of heavy sewing like what will be done to produce auto interiors.

19. PFAFF 1245 is the only way to go. It lasts forever and can stitch through about ten layers of vinyl or leather. EASY

20. oh and its a walking foot with locking stitch and reverse

21. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Join the upholstery group on here. Lot's of good info. :)