Register now to get rid of these ads!

EMS sheetmetal repair panel quality?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50chevy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Has anyone has used EMS out of Cleveland Ohio for sheet metal repair panels?

I am intereted in there rear tailpan for 49-50 chevy fleetline and wanted to see if anyone has installed one and how the fit was?

Thanks for your time

2. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I have used alot of their sheet metal for repair on my 49 ford. So far everything is great. I have replaced rockers (inner and outer), quarter panels, and a fender dogleg.
    They are a bit pricey, but their stuff is top notch.

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

i used them for my 36 ford and really nice stuff.the fit was very good.

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

I put one of their rear pans on my '35 sedan as well as both rockers. Perfect fit, properly stamped.........I'd give them a "thumbs up".

5. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

I put one on my '47 Aerosedan. It fit pretty well. Nice quality stuff.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've used their merchandise, and I have no complaints.

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good fitting replacement panels

8. Brian C

Brian C

Ditto here as well. Used EMS sheet metal for new running boards for our '47 Ford sedan (both sides) and a rear roll pan as well, Good fit and quality and able to get a REAL (and knowledgeable) person on the other end of the phone when I ordered.

A major accomplishment in this day and age.

9. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it is worth the $$ to go with them.

10. SimonSez

SimonSez

I have been wondering the same thing. Please keep us informed :)

11. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

99% of what I've used from them was good stuff, perfect shape, and all that jazz... the ONLY exception to that is the tailpan I got for a 51 fleetline. There was a big "crease" at both ends going from the upper corner of each end, and inabout 9" toward the bottom center of the panel. Nothing a little hammer/dollie didn't fix, but its kinda disappointing to pull a new panel out of the box and know right away its gonna need work to be right.

Also, if your replacing the tailpan for rust repair, you'll probably need their trunk extension panel, too.

12. homebrew

homebrew

The quarter patch on the 39 - 40 ford coupe does not fit. Can be made to work but takes 2 cuts to get the end correct.

13. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Anyone use the EMS rear tail pan for 41-48 Chevy's? I bought one for my 41 coupe, but looks like tons of work to make fit. I'm not a body guy, so maybe I'm expecting too much. It is a reproduction part. The weather strip channel is v shaped rather than square, and the deck lid opening is too narrow. I think trying to fix my rusty stuff may be easier. Just wondered if anybody has used this part and how it worked out. I've got the rocker boxes and floor braces tacked in, which went fairly well except the passenger side outter rocker is catty wampus (sp) on the rear 12 inches or so. Didn't really notice untill I had it cut and was tryin to make it fit. Duh! I would have sent it back had I noticed it was funky.

14. their customer service guy is a hamb member. i bought a fulton visor from him, seems cool.

15. I must be the only one to get the Bad stuff or my expectations are a bit different. I bought lower fender inner and outer left and right for my 57 Ford. "NOT EVEN CLOSE" I posted photos and info at the time I was doing the repair. I could have and should have built them from scratch. Lesson learned again. I don't know how to link up to the old thread or I would.
    I should tell you I don't do Lap welds or use Bodyman in a can to get final shape. If that's what a guy is willing to do then any piece of metal will work. In my opinyon that's what they sell.
    The Wizzard

16. did you contact them about the fitment issue?

17. They know all about it. Best they could do was offer a refund however I had already started to trim on them so that was out. They must make something that is correct or they wouldn't survive, just not what I ordered.
    The Wizzard

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I got some quarter panels from them at the Carsile Events last year . I am very happy with the product and it's not cheap thin crap either ! I looked at many other sheet metal parts that they had there and really looked good . The ones i dealt with were very knowledgeable with the products also .
    For Pist-n-Broke that had problems , you should have told them so they could correct the problem .

RetroJim

19. belair

belair

20. Anybody know if they ever got the 1949-52 front and rear quarter panels ready for sale? Got sick of hearing they were coming and gave up. That was a couple years ago and don't want to call and hear more B.S. stories.:mad:

21. [
    For Pist-n-Broke that had problems , you should have told them so they could correct the problem .

RetroJim[/QUOTE]

Jim; I was very clear about the missing revieal line, wrong shape crown and general poor quality along with Photos of there piece and a good clean stock part. They didn't put much merit in my problem and generally Pooped me off. I'm sure they haven't made any changes and are still selling the same Pieces. In my origional post about the problem I posted several photos. I still have them if you'd like to see. Lucky for me I was able to CORRECT them and make a nice all metal repair. I could have just as easy started with a flat piece of tin.
    The Wizzard

22. I did a Cut and Paste of my Old E.M.S. post. Hope the photo's followed.
    Just so you know I'm working on a 57 Ford car lower front fender (actually both sides). I bought the patch panels from E.M.S. They arrived last Friday. I've learned not to expect a lot and Hope for pieces I can Make work. I was told about the reveile line not matching up well and probably a little wider than stock over all. Didn't sound out of line for aftermarket parts. E.M.S. is also a vendor here on the H.A.M.B. They posted on the previous thread and showed a photo of there pieces. The photo's of my fender has the patch piece sitting above the needed repair. Minor as it looks it's pretty weak. As you can see in the picture the reveile is non existant, not just out of place. Also as warned it is wider by 3/8" of my personal fender. That may not be the case if you lined up 10 fenders. I think they will all very some in places.The fender edge of the patch is Rolled not a Fold for a nice Crisp line but I'll fix that when I narrow it up. The other piece that comes with it is the inner brace patch. It has a few issues also in that the Arch top to bottom is no where near the factory lines. This causes problems mating to the leading edge of the Door and Rocker. The 2 pieces from E.M.S. do not match together on the pinch weld.
    This is my own Personal car so I don't get a lot of time on it since I do this 8 to 5 daily. I knew it would not be a perfect piece but over all I'm ahead of things by starting with what I got. A little Talent and Time and this will be a metal finish repair. We should all be thankful that E.M.S. will make us the products to get started with.
    The Wizzard
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version Name: 57 Ford lower front fender patch 001.jpg Views: 168 Size: 130.5 KB ID: 591943 Click image for larger version Name: 57 Ford lower front fender patch 002.jpg Views: 119 Size: 130.9 KB ID: 591944 Click image for larger version Name: 57 Ford lower front fender patch 004.jpg Views: 122 Size: 137.0 KB ID: 591945

online Report Post Edit/Delete Message

23. ems customer service

ems customer service

here is the stuff for your car,

Attached Files:

24. ems customer service

ems customer service

if your part was damaged in shippment, then you need to call us. our policy is that we are responsable for getting the parts to you undamaged. unlike others we will not tell you that you are stuck dealing with the trucking company or ups alone. (we may ask to have you fill out some forms) ems will ship out a new panel to you. yes it will kind of pain and slow things down a bit, but at the end of it all we cover everything. so anyone who says they got a damaged panel and got stuck with did not call us.

if you ordered ems panels from a dealer and they where damaged then we need to deal with that.

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

well this is getting to be a big thread. but every one at ems thanks all the customers/ hambers that have purchased our stuff. we see that most of you are satisfied with our products and the way our customer service treats everyone. it is a tough job for those folks and they will see your comments tomorrow morning.

i will try to answer all the concerns of some customers who have less 100% satisfaction. although we try to do the best we can, and will adjust and modify tooling to meet customer expectation ( we can do this cause we mfg in the usa and have access to out tooling vs the chinese importers)

but in some cases there is not a practical solution or a solution that can meet customer pricing acceptance. but some times we are just not able to find a real accurate panel to copy from so we have to do the best we can.

26. ems customer service

ems customer service

yes you are correct, the panel is made to fit 37-40 coupe 1/4, there is a slight variation in the arch of the rear fender as it bolts to the inner rear wheel well between the year 37-38 and 39-40 the variation is to slight to justify seperate tooling for each. although we had quality control master panels sent to some 37-40 ford experts in the hot rod industry and restoration "early ford v-8 club judges" the opinion of the experts was not conclusive to any pattern of fitmit. we spent a lot of time and effort to solve the question.

for those who have a variation in wheel well radius, the solution is a 2" to 4 " cut about 1/2" from the edge by the wheel well opening and pulling the "tab" out about 1/4 to 3/8 and filling in the pie split,

some folks get out of focus when they align the panel to the wheel well and then try to adjust the panel back into shape which ends up being way more trouble then calling us for a easy factory tip for installation.

yes the panel will be less then customer expectation, but here is where a call to us will get you a simple solution to a issue.

and yes it one of those issues were we can not win, we did the best we could and it continues to gives us a headache

thanks ems

Attached Files:

27. ems customer service

ems customer service

==============
    the panel will fit, the way the weatherstrip channel fits to the 1/4 panel is unique for this car, it is a long story, call us when your behind the car and i will tell you the tricks to do this, i am not sure where you got a idea the opening on the panel is narrow, but we will cover it when you call,

we had a install article on this car about 10 years ago in i belive american rodder,or rodders digest i will have to look tomorrow. we can not post the older tech articles. as we did not keep the rights to them, no internet then.

the rocker panel die was repaired this summer

28. ems customer service

ems customer service

i assume chevy 49-50 rear 1/4's in stock 51-52 not sure when, it is on the project list but inquiries have been low for a long time , we are starting to see a slight rise in requests for this part, but that does not help your situation,

but if you call we can tell the options with the 49-50 panels

Attached Files:

29. ems customer service

ems customer service

here is a copy of the answer i gave you during your original post.

""""he body line on the lower fender of the 57 ford is pain in the @%&* for us. we have made some adjustments to the tooling but the oem detail is a kind of soft body line (not very crisp) and difficult to duplicate , we had it much sharper in the begining and had complaints so we made it a softer line, complaints did not go down. difficult to win this one. comments and photo's are welcome"""

as we said in another post today on a different, this is one we can not seem to win, the body line from ford is softer then most body lines and hard to reproduce, tried a bunch times, changed the tooling 3 times, and hard to find a true original panel, and then there is a debate as to thick or thin paint will change the final appereance of the panel. we're gonna lose every debate on this panel.

30. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i've used ems for 2 shoebox fords and a 54.....never had a major setback. my cuts were always the problem..i'm half blind.