Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has any body doen it? SBC in 1957 Fairlane?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevydeuce, Nov 23, 2009.

1. X2, or at least another Ford motor.. My buddy Bob had a 57 fairlaine that the previous owner had put a 302 in and it seemed to fit in there rather well.. didn't look like they had to do alot of crazy stuff to get it in there..

2. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I would think just moving the cross member would be easiest to this abomination . I definatly would not cut the firwal for any reason.
    FE would be my first choice but for your desires the small Windsor or find the dual cam 4.6 from a lincoln mark VIII , some fab would be required but it would fit everyones bill I think .

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I thought this was the HAMB ... not some restorer site.

Put the Chevy in it ...
    If that is what you what.

I have been trying to buy a 57 Ford 2 door 300 series for the last few weeks. ( but not this one ... :eek: )

[​IMG]

The one I am trying to buy is BLACK and just like this one in the photo but not as fresh and NICE :rolleyes: IF ... I get it ... it will recieve a 427 and a 4 speed.

A Chevy 427 and a Muncie :cool:
    I have a bunch of good BBC stuff and no FE Ford stuff. It just makes sense to use what I have and know :) :D ;)

4. roddinron

roddinron

No, because the goal of hot rodding has always been to improve the car.:D

5. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I had a lot of fun in the mid 60s with a 427/425 powered 57 Custom 300. An FE or small block Ford is a bolt in, I dont see any sense in the chevy going in it. Cost wise might be cheaper with a stroker 460 now, FE parts are getting pricey unless you stay with a 390 stroker motor.If you work hard enugh you can put the factory 427 maniflods on it. To all who say you cant, I did it and Ill tell you how if you want

6. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I parked next to it at Fat Burger...it is nice but that's a 392 not a SBC:confused:
    [​IMG]
    Ron

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

All the front suspension needs the crossmember. Mine was a 6 originally.
    It's had 390's 427's and now it's a 429. Can't afford the 27's anymore.

8. Broncoholic

Broncoholic
    from Michigan

The guys over at Hotrodders.com would do it they are mostly Cheby guys, http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/&ei=2MkKS5GkJMKMnQe5iN3tBg&sa=X&oi=nshc&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAoQzgQoAQ&usg=AFQjCNG2wp3xS429Sp0t4AxmOnRkKoifnw:eek:

You will lose the actual character of the car, would you put a Cummins 4bt in it just because you had one?:rolleyes:

It has been done before.

Would you re elect Obama?

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple while its in your shed you can do what you like. But it sure wouldnt happen in my shed. Long term the resale would be less.
    A ford SB will virtually bolt right on in there ,slot the frame engine mount holes lower put an 1" spacer between early mustang engine mounts and I think you need to put a slightly longer, to the rear ,tag on the trans mount.
    Though as usual if you already own the part the tendency is to use it cos the price is right.
    The only rear mounted distributors in my fords are Y blocks.

10. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

I understand the swaps in the 30's and 40's cars. #1 Chevys mostly made of wood and not a bunch left. #2 SBC slides in easier as a replacement for a flathead than other Ford engines do. But for christ sake a 57 Ford and you want to bastardise it. Might as well buy some Boyd wheels to go on it also. And don't forget the 2 mega watt stereo.
    I'ld rather have my mother and sister working in a whore house.

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Do what the customer wants. Do it to the best of your ability and do it so when somebody asks, you can say with pride "Thats my work". Right or wrong is the customer's resposibility. Make it safe and well. Nothing dosent fit if you have a torch and the owner's go ahead. If you have reservations price yourself outta the market. Then if they still want it, laugh all the way to the bank.

12. fbcoach68

fbcoach68
    from SOCAL

Chevy motor in a Fairlane it is like drugs, Just say no!

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

460? Thirsty, yes. Grunt, yes. Fit, yes.

Hey Broncoholic...ixnay on the politics.​

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well I have a 55 Ford and would never , ever think of putting a damn orange chev in my Ford , but that's me . I am one of the guys who keep brands together . That is what I do with mine but if you must use something different don't let it be that same ole thing that too many people do just because they are cheap HP . I can do the same with a Ford and am doing it now on my 302 for my 55 Ford !
    It's your car so do what you must , but just be happy with the engine and drive the car .
    My real choice would have been a 460 but have seen many 390's put into the Fords . They fit real nice !

RetroJim

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A 5.0HO and AOD will bolt in, aside from making a trans mount and driveshaft cut. You won't have 360 hp, but it'll more than keep up on the Autobahn. Just ask anybody with a Fox bodied Mustang. I have one in my '59 T'Bird, it makes a very, very nice swap. Way easier than the Chev., and nobody will throw stones at you, if you care.

16. Judd

Judd

I would use a later model Ford with a 302/351 and AOD auto for a doner car. 64 Comet Falcon style motor mounts should get the motor bolted down in the front then you just need to make a trans mount. Stock drive shaft may work.

17. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i had a 51 victoria with a flattie in it,nice sharp car, couldn't get 15 grand out of it. put a 383 stroker and th 350,the thing brought $22,500..so the value thing is debunked here.
    it was still a desireable car either way and my preacher never told me i was going to hell for it.

18. Maybe this is more of what you want instead of Opinyons. I have 2-57 Fords a 58 and 59. I'm also kind of Qualifyed to do some Fab work. Here is something to think about and what I'd do to get around Pan/steering clearance. Drop the center link and tie rods. The ball end on the Pitman arm points up. Change it to down. That will get you 2" more pan room. Drop the other 3 mount points the same. It's simple Fab 101. The ball is tapered like a tie rod so you will need the ream from Speedway to change it. Only go 1/2 way and you'll be fine, I do it all the time. Drop the idler arm on the side of the frame. Make a dropped tierod adapter for both spindle ends and your home free. You may still need the Nova pan but you will have plenty of room.
    Who builds a car for Re-Sale anyway? The Customer is right, Do what he wants. Would I do this to one of Mine "FUCK NO"!! Could you pay me to do it "HELL YES!!
    Ford S.V.O. sells Horse power in a box in the form of 427 small block and your choice of AOD or 5 speed over drive and they basicly bolt in. So what. The Customer is the Boss.
    The Wizzard

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm all for odd-ball engine swaps, especially into 57 Fords! The swap should be a pretty easy one. The center crossmember is immovable with stock front control arms, so you'll need to plan around that. You will need a Chevy II oil pan, which can be had aftermarket from Milodon. That will convert that SBC to a front sump and should fit effortlessly into that space. You could probably even modify the Y-Block mount tabs off the crossmember to the side mounts on the Chevy. My '67 C/10 mounts look like they might be close. Exhaust will be tricky, namely because a center dump might dump directly into the front crossmember. Rear dumping headers will be the ticket as you can probably avoid the steering box. Starter on the SBC is a non-issue since it is on the passenger side, same as the Y-Block. The factory radiator will prob keep the SBC cool as well, especially if you add a shroud.

Good luck!

20. See,I told you guys we were just talking about it this past weekend!

And,Deuce,,I still think it's wrong!:D HRP

21. Had a passing thought. The Nova pan in question may not fit the late block. I believe they changed the ends to accomodate the one piece Chevy rear seal. Something to check on before you own it.
    The Wizzard

22. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

go with the y block!

23. He already dove in, paint the block ford blue and burn the wheels off of it.... its just a car...

24. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

If you DO put a Chevy in it, you might want to rebadge it from "Fairlane" to Fastlane"....you know, in keeping with the swap:D.

25. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I don't think I have ever seen a chevy engine in a Ford. Is that even possable

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  26. Contact 57gasser on here. I beleive he had one in his 57 Ford gasser for a while

27. twofosho

twofosho

I think you should go ahead and put the SBC in, that way you guys can have an ABAMAnation over on that side of the pond too.

28. Mac_55

Mac_55

Ive never been a fan of the tri 5 fords . But that car just screams sinister . Absolutley LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

29. krooser

krooser

Have him a find a SBC like this one... the best SBC ever built.

Attached Files:

30. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I just realized that the OP is in Germany. I don't know how tough it is to find a nice 351W with a front sump pan, pickup tube, and AOD in Germany, I don't know if the value of a Chevy powered '57 Ford is not as affected, or how accepted in general these practices are there, but it could be that these guys have no choice if they want to get it on the road quickly and economically.

-KK