Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller welders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brumm, Nov 21, 2009.

1. brumm

brumm
    from Central IL

So i was welding at my buddies shop and he got a new Miller 212 with the auto set.....its sweet!!! I think I am going to buy the 180 or the 212 for myself.....

Does anyone know where to get a good price on one? I live in central IL....or ??:confused:

2. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

I suggest you visit the following:
    www.welders-direct.com
    and
    www.cyberweld.com
    Between the two you'll find about the best prices for new machines from an authorized Miller dealer. (DO MAKE SURE YOU BUY FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER)
    Note, you'll save the tax and I believe they offer free shipping. Hard to beat.
    If you have a good local dealer, you can go to them with the internet price and give them a chance to show you how close they can get.
    I think there's a certain value in dealing with a local vendor.
    Good luck-
    Steve

3. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

I have a 180 miller and I love it great machine!

4. gonmad

gonmad

I just bought my first welder a couple months ago. It is the 212 and I love it! The best price I got was from a Goodguys show special. That was about a hundred cheaper than I could find it online anywhere.
    Good luck!

5. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I got mine from a power seller on ebay, good price, free shipping. Just read feedback first.

6. Great sources , thanks a lot ,,,,,

7. brumm

brumm
    from Central IL

Man thanks guys! I appreciate the help, having a hard time deciding between the 212 and the 180......good options, ill check the sites out now, thanks so much

8. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sweetspot with the 212 is using .030" wire, you can go up or down from there. The 180 is maxed out running .030" wire. Think duty-cycle.

9. krooser

krooser

I buy some stuff from Indiana Oxygen on Fleabay... good service and fast shipping.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I was shopping for a tig unit a couple of years ago and shopped all the e-bay sellers and I have to admit, their prices are tempting. But, having been a 'local businessman' for many years, as well as a consumer, I knew how desirable it can be to buy local. Anyway, the welding shop I have been doing business with for many years, and was happy with, deserved a shot at the business.,

Without saying a word about having shopped on-line, merely telling them what I was interested in (a Lincoln unit in this case, though I have Miller equipment too) they offered me a price virtually the same as on line. And the best part, I didn't have to pressure them for the "good" price. I ordered it, they delivered it, and we were both happy. I think the local guy(s) should always get a shot unless they have been unscrupulous in the past. Besides, if you have a problem, "who you gonna call?"

Ray

11. brumm

brumm
    from Central IL

Yeah man thanks for the advice. I stopped in our local welding shop ....well 30 minutes away...local when you live in the middle of nowhere like me :) and the prices were the same.....so I think I'm gonna buy from them....just got to decide which one now....

12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Indiana Oxygen and Weldfabulous (ebay and Amazon also) have good prices.
    I use a Synchrowave250DX and a Millermatic 250, never had a problem.

13. gonmad

gonmad

The 212 definately. Especially since it isn't that much more.

14. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

if he is a hobbyist welder, the 180 will be fine. I have worked on several backhalfs and even a full frame with my 170 lincoln and .030, I run out of prepped area for welding before I hit the duty cycle. IF you plan on bridge reconstruction or structural welds on suspended sewer pipe, you might want something more robust.

of course, immediate and actual needs didnt stop me from buying a plasma cutter that will clean cut 1 1/2" plate either, haha. sometimes overkill is just right. Buy what you are comfortable with.

15. walls

walls

i just got the 211 a little while ago. great machine and can do 110 or 220v.

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

My Miller 250X is a great machine. Perfect size for a home shop.

17. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I have the Miller 180. It easily boxed the front of my frame and installed my TCI front end with plenty of power and penetration. The drive mechanism is all metal and is very consistent. This is what you need for sheet metal repairs.

For true production work, high duty cycle, the Miller 252 is one hell of a machine.

You can find good deals on-line, but many welding supply stores will cut you a deal, because they make their money selling gas. You gotta shop around.

18. brumm

brumm
    from Central IL

you guys are a huge help.....i go back and forth every day between the 180 and 212

19. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I bought my Miller from Cyberweld.com. Best prices i've seen and shipping was included.