Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jsprcn

jsprcn

The car is going to be as raced in 1969----White with the Weld number "91" and chev. power.
    We do have the time frame of the car from when Kenny built the car with Greg's help in the winter of 1967 until we bought it in 2007.
    The car was first raced in 1968 with with a Ford small block, number 31, and sponsorship from Don Rice Ford.
    It had a white with orange paint job. ( You will find a photo of the car on the cover of the 1969 Stars and Cars Yearbook.) On March 23 the car was displayed at the Chamersberg auto show; still with the number 31 but the car is now painted all white with a super snake on its side.( ford power) I have one photo of the car in the pits in early 1969 with the ford still in it. By May I know he has change to chev power, with wins on the 14th at Hershey and the 16th at Williams Grove and June 21 at Lincoln.
    Next photo we have of the car is at Tampa in 1970, all white with "Weldwheels" on the side of the car and using the Weld family number 91.
    We think the car was sold some time in the spring of 1970 and that Sidney Clark drove the car. It ran the number 22 and was painted white with red trim. By Sept. of 1974 we think the car has changed hands again. Tommy Johnson ran the car at Devils Bowl through
    1980 at least. The car still had the number 22 but was now blue with red and white
    numbers.
    It was brought north again in the 90's to be restored and put in a museum that two brothers were putting together. Because of unfortunate circumstances that did not happen and the car was put up for sale in late 2007.

You now have the history of the car as we know it! We would appreciate any help you could give to fill in the gaps.

2. jimg12

jimg12

Zoom,
    I think the car that jburt took picture of was bought by Eli Vukovich's family about 3 years ago from a friend of my in Frankfort, Ky. They bought it because it was real close to the car Eli used to drive. They then fixed it up as it is now. Am I right jburt?
    Jim Graybeal

3. Buildy

Buildy

When I saw that photo of the #33 Midget today the first thing that popped into my mind was Eli Vukovich,not Bill.
    I looked on Google to see if I could find any photos of Eli,to no avail.

Bill was known for driving the #1 Drake powered Midget,and Gerhardt`s #45 Midget comes to mind as well.

Eli in a Drake powered #33

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. jsprcn

jsprcn

Hay; that is the car...Thanks.

5. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

# 22 The great invevter Tommy Johnson from Texas. This is one of the Weld/Brown roadsters from back in the day, if I remember right. His next car was even wilder. Ted

If you notice the left rear its very large, Tommy had a plantery gear on the left rear hub with a calpier and an air bottle. He could engage the plantery to change the drive ratio to not have to run stagger. He tested the wing angle in the back of his Dualley on the interstate. And the stories go on and on. Ted

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

6. [​IMG]

7. Watched that number 22 car at Knoxville and I could never figure out if it was a deranged Elk or an over sized lawnmower. It had plenty of horsepower but it looked like it handled like a pogo stick.

8. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Old Age, 'Honestly, my first thought and reaction to the #22 car was......'What a mess. I do give the guy a lot of credit for trying to out-think everyone but, even if he had Kenny Weld, Eddie Leavitt, Doug Wolfgang or the The Dude, 'not sure if it would have mattered??? And Buildy, 'that was my first thought on the #33 car. Eli was a great guy and used to frequent the races in the Cal central valley after his racing days. And he was VERY opinionated about the way his nephew wore his hair and his clothes back in the day. And, I always thought that the 1953 and '54 Indy winner went straight from his little Drake midget to ordering a new Kurtis/Offy and driving Fred Gerhardt's Offy #45.

Attached Files:

9. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

10. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

"Here is the unfortunate fate of the "Fike" in Australia .......roll cage:mad:... wing:mad:.....wide wheels:mad: Hank Henry probably rolled over in his grave when he saw how Johnny Anderson and Gary Rush screwed up his "magnum opus".

That comment is probably true, however if it wasn't for a Sydney promotion team of Frank Oliveri and Mike Raymond bringing that sprintcar and John Anderson to Sydney, we would not have seen true sprintcars in Australia for some or possibly many years later. I'm very pleased I saw that car at it's 1st appearance in Sydney and to this day still attend sprintcar shows on a weekly basis. I look forward to Bob Blacklaw restoring the car, whichever way he chooses. What he has done with his other cars is truly fantastic.The "Cascio" midget that Bob Tattersall raced in Australia, circa 1961 and now owned by Blacklaw, is the most wonderful restoration. I'm in awe whenever I see the car!

[​IMG]

11. racer5c

racer5c

12. btjones

btjones

I know this isn't 69 and older.
    The late Stevie Howard circa 1976 (I think) When I first met Stevie he was walking on his hands through the pits at the old JFK stadium before an ARDC race in 74'. My sisters Liz had such a crush on him she couldn't even speak. He was a helluva nice guy.

[​IMG]

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Roy, there's a good photo of you on the track in that car on the DAARA site.

14. RCT

RCT

Corngrower:
    The other day you asked about how the Merkler 404 got it's number. Apparently they chose it, because they had a shop at 404 Merkler Dr. in Fort Wayne. They were only about a 1/4 mile from the 5/8 mile Speedway.

15. wynns #1

wynns #1

No telling how far Steve Howard may have gone in his career. I believe that at the time of his death, he owned the Speed age/ Hespell Kurtis midget.

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

RCT, Thanks!! That's pretty cool.

JD

17. JBurt

JBurt

I'm not sure of the exact history of the car. I was the just the photographer. My understanding is it was driven briefly at some point by Bill. But I don't remember if it was Sr. or Jr. and I could be entirely wrong. Next time I see Larry, I'll get the correct info.

18. weathrmn

weathrmn

We lost Steve Howard at Lincoln Speedway. Great Young Man,one of our local heroes.

19. btjones

btjones

I know ...I grew up in Levittown. I met Stevie when my dad was driving for Bob Abernathy in ARDC.

Stevie was one of those special people. Guys like him where never supposed to die.

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Anyone have access to Kurtis Kraft I.D. tag Registration details? I got a number I need researched..

P.M. ME !!!

Thanks,

J Shaw

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

OKAY FELLA'S

PICTURE TIME...

A couple years ago our own Carol Hamilton (a.k.a. BLACKI-SUEDE) gave my dad and I a huge stack of pictures from when he was the Promoter at the "Legendary Lawrencburg Speedway"

...and I forgot we had them!! My ol' man pulled them out the other night and what a thrill! I've learned so much in the short time since i first saw the photo's and since this thread has been started!

Now, I realize most of these photo's are after 1969, but I'm gonna break my own rule due to the "coolness" and overall QUALITY of these photo's. There are some BIG NAMES, good cars, and wild rides.

Hope you enjoy..

and a big THANK YOU BLACKI-SUEDE!!!

-----------------------

Boys, there are a bunch. But.. its' what this thread is all about!! I do have info on each, so if you have questions ask!!

Here we go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There not all from L-burg...

[​IMG]

I have that sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Danny Milburn :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Danny Smith's dad.. Mike Smith.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car took the place of the Blue NANCE my we own..

[​IMG]

The year I won the Championship, Alllen Barr finished second and was a HARD competitor ALL YEAR!! I really liked racing with this guy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OUCH!!

[​IMG]

Check out the OPEN TRAILERS!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

SIDE BURNS!

[​IMG]

STAAB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Danny Smith had a few at the Banquet! ha ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some big names here.

[​IMG]

I sat in this car a week ago..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ha! Mr. HINES.. Harley Gene, that's for you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very famous picture from the "River Days" of the Burg'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am just old enough to remeber when Tracks were like this!!

[​IMG]

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'd like to have this guy in my pits during a fight! Ha ha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ones for you Jim Graybeal..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this pic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again BLACKI-SUEDE.. Now it's time to say hi.. Lookin' good!

[​IMG]

Check out Kerri Norris to the right of Blacki

[​IMG]

25. Ebert

Ebert

AWESOME stuff, Josh!!!! You guys rocked!!!!!

Eric

26. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    OKAY FELLA'S

PICTURE TIME...

A couple years ago our own Carol Hamilton (a.k.a. BLACKI-SUEDE) gave my dad and I a huge stack of pictures from when he was the Promoter at the "Legendary Lawrencburg Speedway"

...and I forgot we had them!! My ol' man pulled them out the other night and what a thrill! I've learned so much in the short time since i first saw the photo's and since this thread has been started!

Now, I realize most of these photo's are after 1969, but I'm gonna break my own rule due to the "coolness" and overall QUALITY of these photo's. There are some BIG NAMES, good cars, and wild rides.

Hope you enjoy..

and a big THANK YOU BLACKI-SUEDE!!!

Boy, that brings back a lot of memories..and damn "I'm Old". The 'Burg has created a lot of history, and continues to do so. Gotta love those dirt track bull rings.

Note, I gave your Dad those photos and the press clippings scrap books because I was confident the history would be preserved So, a big thanks to you guys as well.

Blacki-Suede

27. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Is your dad Bruce Jones?

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Won't find any wings, cages, (or even roll bars) humpers or wedge hoods here, :rolleyes: as Jack McGrath brings the field down for the start of Sacto 1954.

Attached Files: