Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual fuel pump problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grinderspark, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Chev 350 with manual fuel pump. 1930 Ford 2dr sedan.
    Parked the car about 6 weeks ago due to working out of town, and it ran fine when last driven.
    Now the engine cranks okay, but it isn't getting any fuel. There's a glass in-line filter in the supply line and it's dry as a bone.
    I never had a problem with a stock fuel pump before so I never had to mess with one.
    Do these go bad suddenly, or would it help to crack the line at the filter and pour a little gas in it to prime it?

Or better yet, block it off and add an electric pump?

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

How many siphon hoses in the neighborhood?? I would look for leaks.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

manual?
    you must mean mechanical

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

You using the stock (dashboard) tank? If so is the valve pass side open?
    The stock tanks will gravity feed past a mech pump and if it's a Holley carb it will seep into the motor. I speak from experience.

5. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

You're right-mechanical.
    The tank is mounted on the back between the fenders, similar to a 32 set-up.
    No leaks-the tank is full.
    There is a fuel filter mounted on the frame 1/2 way between the tank and motor. I took off the lines on either side and there's plenty of gas.
    There is a short section of rubber hose connecting the hard steel line to the pump. At this junction there is no fuel.
    There are no bends, kinks or breaks anywhere in the line.
    I'll try to prime it and see what happens, then it's off to the store if that doesn't work.

6. skidsteer

skidsteer

Check the fuel filter INSIDE the carburetor, where the fuel line connects. Those can be so blocked with crap that you can't even blow thru it.

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey GRINDER...i would change the carb. filter, and if that doesn't help then i would change the pump. but i must say, this is a new 1 on me. those pumps are very dependable, but they can go bad. good luck my friend...POP.

8. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

I can't tell if the carb is the problem because there's no fuel getting to the pump for it to send to the carb.

I removed the in-line fuel filter that was located on the frame rail, poured gas back through the line to fill it, connected that line, removed the supply line to the carb at that filter, filled that line, (hoping that the pump needed primed from sitting) and put on a new filter. Just waiting for the battery to charge some more.

I did turn it over for a few seconds out of curiousity. It started to run, and like a dumbass I pumped the pedal and flooded it, pushing a little flame out of the exhaust. It's got mucho gas now.
    Not wanting to set all of the old lady's christmas stuff on fire and putting up with her lecture, I'll wait until morning and roll it out into the driveway and see if I can scare some of the old folks on the street.

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Check the inside of that short piece of hose to make sure it hasn't turned to jelly.

10. sinwagon49

sinwagon49
    from mo

its easy fill your float boals with fuel through the vent tubes ( if its a holley) when the engine fires the pump will pump faster than the starter can make it pump if it dies and thers no fuel in the filter its a bad pump ben thare before

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

What carb is it.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Run a hose from the suction side of the pump to a temporary gas tank....gas can for the lawn mower etc. If it starts and runs the pump is OK and you need to find out why fuel is not reaching the pump. Check any rubber hose connections in the fuel line that could have a pin hole that will let air in and break the vacuum that pulls the fuel from the tank.

If it doesn't pick up the fuel. replace the pump.

It's pretty easy to isolate where the problem is so that the corrective action will be obvious.

13. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds to me like a blockage in the line. Disconnect each section of line, blow compressed air through it from front to back.
    Generally speaking, mechanical pumps don't like filters on the suction side. If your tank is old, the filter could be plugged.