Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The Project" (In novel form) Chapter 1 - The Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theloosecannon707, Nov 20, 2009.

1. So let me remember back to the beginning. I believe it was a Saturday. A brisk Saturday, and not freezing but a bit brash for California in August...

I was sitting back in my chair enjoying an evening smoke, the McClelland i believe, actually a good year the 2009 Christmas Cheer, they brag it to be "Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. This 2009 blend is made with a special selection of beautiful, sugary, deep orange South Carolina Border Belt flue-cured Virginia from the 2003 crop." How could that not be amazing, anyways im getting off point, my apologies... I digress.

So there I was reclined at chair reading the evening paper. Now by the evening paper I mean a good book, and by good book I mean my laptop mowing over the h.a.m.b. as one often does these days...

So there i sat looking for possible Eddie Edmunds intake manifolds for a straight six, seeing if I could find perhaps a set of firestone bias ply white walls. It seems when I get to looking for parts it comes with a seriousness, almost a regimented format to look at the most adds as quickly as possible to be able to see as much as I can. That wasn’t the case this evening. I contemplate now I must have been in quite a calm mind set to just be whimsically clicking on interesting posts, and laughing at peoples avatar photos. Perhaps I was just reading signatures at the bottom of peoples posts...

Anyhow, it was at this point i believe i blacked out. Don’t be alarmed, it happens quite a bit to me. Now this isnt a standard black out its my subconscious that goes into cruise control while my routine continues on unaffected...It’s a slow gradual warm, loss of consciousness that gradually takes over starting with you ears, you stop hearing the outside, and then moves to your eyes, then fingers, then WHAM! It all stopped on a dime. I mean reality hit my like the blitz in '41, I was floored. Somehow in those minutes of euphoria I had landed in the cars for sale classified thread and was looking at a 34 chevy 5 window. Surface rusted to shit, missing expensive parts, on a trailer 5 hours away, and absolutely magnanimous. This old boy was the manifest of every form that the virtues could become themselves into a tangible objective image. This car looked like it was on its death bed in an old hospital but still wearing its faded uniform proudly reflecting the bars showing captains rank. I new I had to rescue him.

(It is worth noting, not a lot of cars are hims. most are hers, but with the amount of regal character this car possessed it was clearly a bearded retired man of influence oozing sophistication and a stubborn will to survive.)

After a few calls and emails, and about 15 hours, i had him in the garage. It is important for me to mention that at this moment I felt that I truly understood the purest form of potential. This moment of man meets car, became the moment that i was transformed back to my childhood and the part of my brain that is uncontrollable with creativity and excitement for what could be, fired up again. Here in this moment, it had begun.

That week I went with a couple friends to the Early Ford Swap at the
    Paso Robles Fairgrounds. I made out with a pair of front bones, dropped front axle, a pair of kelsey hayes, and on the way out spotted a original hood in the back of an old timers truck...he parted with it for 200 dollars.

Photo 1 = the photo from the add I saw on the hamb
    Photo 2 = a photo of the car in the shop a week later after the swap

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. Gigantor

Gigantor

keep it coming!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now go look at Kiwi Kevs post on how he is chopping the 34 Ford. Not the same but the principles should serve you well. I would love to see a 34 Chevy with a heavy lakes chop and a 302 GMC engine set far back into the cowl covered by a hood. Nasty rubber rake and a undropped axle sitting in front of the crossmember. If Iaccono built a lakes car what would it be?

4. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

5. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Yea, don't stop now!

6. Awesome Score! Keep us informed with pics.

7. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

nice score,, love the story..

8. Part II, i would read part I for this to make sense...

So here I stand, in the garage, looking at the Captain. Actually through a slip of the tongue by one of my kommrades, the car has been affectionately named, "The Baron of Bad News". Priceless...

The work began with the simple, grinding of the surface with paint cookies... Now it is worth mentioning here that its at this stage that you see the vibrant steel of the body underneath the years of rust as it begins to shine through. To finish a section of the car and find beautiful American steel from 1934 hand crafted to this point, I mean steel older then my father, just perfect in great shape and a lot of it, is a feeling that is almost spiritual. Not to get sappy but when the simple work you can do reaps something that shines like fine jewelry, you see the importance of pride and time and patience in the things I do. Building a car can really be like your first real love, it’s a event that consumes your mind with all the complexities and shadings of real love out in the world. The scents stay with you, the touch of the car, and even the pain is the most rewarding hurt you’ll ever feel. I challenge anyone who would say that building a car isnt these things.

So piece by piece the Baron began to clean up, like changing his clothes or taking a good bath. The age began to disappear. As my friends and I sat there, we contemplated what this car would want his new life to entail. What would he pick, if he could, for himself. I feel some cars are gorgeous in their original condition, some are perfect restored. Some cars are unbelievable as a custom, and some are just meant to be hot rods. But I know that not all cars can be anything, if you do, its like forcing yourself on a beautiful woman who may be saying she wants it, but you can tell its only her attempts to forget someone else before you... its just un natural and you feel bad for them and dirty for being there and a part of it.

Thinking, waiting, thinking, and more thinking, and listening for what was right... and then he spoke, and I mean the Baron, he said to me in a mental telepathic way, I mean he flat out told me; now I also think this came at this point because perhaps he had to trust me, and with those hours of sanding and cleaning, he felt that he could be honest with me, and he said, "I want to run fast again"...
    Now that was all I needed, the flood gates opened, I knew what I had to do and what he was entrusting me with... This car was meant to be a Bonneville style racer. It was as if he had missed that part of his life and knew we could get there together. I knew this was something that had to be done tasteful for his age, it should be a true period correct hot rod to the 50's... Almost to not ruin the dream this car has himself! It was like he knew what it was to be a racer in the 50's and 60's and he didn’t have what it took back then and he was held out, now he knows he can do it and hes entrusting me to bring him there. And wow, what a responsibility for me, I mean this one friend of mines' dreams entrusted totally to me, I had to do it right, the first time.
    So for the first leap... the chop was begun, and it had to be handled carefully and period correct to what the baron wanted...

Photos of the process

9. I like the cut of your jib!
    If you dont write for a hot rod magazine, you should, thats some of the best reading in a long time.
    Cool score/car..........keep it coming!

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

You write purdy.

Rich

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Holy shit...that is a bitchin chop...

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

This is the best thread I've come across in the last six months. You put soul into your car, and you have a vision that is perfect for the Captain. A club member has a '33 five window and I pictured your car as a "theoretical build" in my head. Hopefully your car will be an inspiration to him. Please keep the yarn going- it's masterful.

13. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

14. I love it. I am working on the Captain's utilitarian cousin (who also wants to go fast, though maybe not as fast as the Capn'. Hey! Is that a freakin' Y-block?!

15. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Excellent read, my good sir!

Keep it up, I want to see and read more!

16. synthsis

synthsis

We were just in SLO on our way up the PCH on our honeymoon. Madonna Inn, what, what!!! Had some beers at the Frog & the Peach, good times.

17. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

The chop is epic.
    You may just end up doin' the ol boy proper.

18. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I looked at that car in Pleasonton at the GG show for 2 days earlier this year. The pic of it on the trailer was from there.

I could not beleive that no one was around this car for both of the days.

Dont remember what he was asking for it. But it was a cool car no less.

Wife kept telling me to keep my distance as I already had enough on my plate.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, that is one of the most perfect chops I have ever seen!

20. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

Looking Good!!!!
    Please send more PICS.

Just awesome,
    56Chevy4Dr

21. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

22. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

23. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

24. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

25. I look forward to your updates. This will be a great car and you are an excellent writer.

26. thanks everyone for the great comments! ive got another chapter im posting tomorrow, im really proud of how the car is turning out.