Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I identify my motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopsaw209, Nov 20, 2009.

1. I recently bought a used chevy big block and am wondering how I can figure out what it came out of based on the block number and vin. Anyone have a good website I can go to and plug that info into it??

Thanks,

Chop

2. time_xx

time_xx

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

it's the one with your smile and dna.

4. JBurt

JBurt

5. squirrel

squirrel

first step would be to post all the numbers from the block, here. Look for two stamped number series on the front, probably on the deck surface in front of the head, possibly above the timing cover. also on the back of the block above the bellhousing look for a long casting number, and a shorter casting date code (letter followed by 2-4 numbers)

we should be able to figure it out

6. I just figured out that the kid in the dark alleyway who sold me the 454 the other night was really selling me a 402. Son of Bitch. Now here is the vin# can anyone tell me what it came out of??

CE356119 or CE356779 it's hard to tell by the stamping

7. HAHAHAHAHA......I aint got any of those yet....Thats the only reason I can afford all these damn car parts.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I think you're missing one character in the VIN, should be 9 total. first is make, second is year, third is plant. then the 6 digit serial number. The first 3 can be letters or numbers.

9. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

10. R Pope

R Pope

Don't feel too bad, the 402 is a better engine than the 454. It's internally balanced, for one thing.

11. CE is the code used for warranty & over the counter crate engines. That's why it's not showing up on any of the lists. That's also why there is no VIN number on it. The number you're seeing is some sort of part number & possibly assembly date code. It could be almost anything. Look for the cast in date code to find out the year. Other than that you'll have to tear it down and measure stuff to know the displacement. This code is used for Chevy big block as well as small block engines for several years which adds to the confusion. I've heard a few different opinions on what it stands for "counter exchange", "crate engine" but the one that makes the most sense is that it means "complete engine" since they use a different code for shortblocks & bare blocks. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  12. Thanks for all of the killer information everyone!

13. Glad to help. As I said the number you listed is NOT a VIN. There will be no VIN because that engine was not originally installed in a car. It came in a crate from GM. As others have said, post the block casting number, date code, etc. Also the casting numbers on the heads & crankshaft & we can figure out what you have. Date codes will look something like this.. B 1 9 which would be Feb 1 1969 (or 79, 89, etc) The first letter is the month. Jan is A & so forth. Second is a number which is the day & last is the year. There are even casting marks on Chevys that look like a clock & tell you exactly what time a part was cast and which shift it was. If the heads are off measure the bore as well. CE coded engines are desirable for guys restoring special cars since they could have been replaced under warranty back in the day when the car was still new. If the date codes line up it's the next best thing to having the original numbers matching engine. For example I know a guy with a 69 Z/28 he bought new. He blew up the original engine when the car was only 2-3 months old. The dealer replaced it under warranty with a CE coded 302.

14. squirrel

squirrel

the only over the counter crate big block I bought had the normal stamp with the engine plant, date code, and 3 letter suffix. no CE number

Get the casting number and date, and look closely at the stamped number to make sure you got it all.

15. Trust me my friend, I do know what I'm talking about. I may be new to this site but I'm far from new at messing with Chevy hotrods. I've been collecting Chevy muscle cars & building & racing Chevy engines for 35 years. Yours was likely an engine made later than the early to mid 70s when they changed the numbering system. Here is a small example of the CE code being used. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1309603 There are MANY others if you do some searching. I bought one of the last LS6 454 crate engines sold before they were disontinued in the mid 80s. It was coded like yours with a 3 letter suffix because it was made in the 80s. It also had a tag on it that said "made in Mexico".... Here is something else to ponder... "Quoting from the Chevrolet Dealer Service Information Bulletin, 69-I-1, dated 19 Sept, 1968:
    The first letter will designate the GM division which produced the engine. C-Chevrolet L-Oldsmobile K-Cadillac B-Buick P-Pontiac The second letter will designate the type of unit "E" engine or "T" transmission. The number following the letter will designate the model year "9" for 1969. The last five digits specify the service replacement unit sequence number. The group of numbers to be used by Chevrolet manufacturing plants [for engines] are as follows:
    Flint motor plant (L-6 engines) 00001 to 19999Flint V-8 engine plant 20000 to 49999Tonowanda motor plant 50000 to 79999Example: Number CE900175 designates Chevrolet engine - 1969 year, and the 175th unit produced for service at the Flint motor plant.
    This numbering system applies to service engine assemblies, partial engines, fitted cylinder cases, cylinder cases, transmission assemblies and transmission cases." Going by this info quoted directly from a GM Service Bulletin the engine in question on this post appears to be a warranty replacement engine made in 1973. Any other info such as cubic inch displacement, horsepower rating, etc remains to be seen.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I've heard about the CE engines, just never seen one. My LS-7 was made in 89....even closer to the end of the run than your LS-6....

17. Jim very cool "shtuff" on your page. Could you please ship the 61 Chevy to NH. There is nothing left up here even that clean. The salt they use on the roads in the winter has eaten them all up. :eek: The Muncie overhaul link is cool too but they left out the old trick of using a cutdown broomstick to hold the needle bearings in place when installing the cluster gear. :D

18. stevejack

stevejack
    from london

Hi chopsaw209,
    It is easy to identify our car from the lots of same type of cars. We can identify it without show number. Because the picture of our car fixed in our mind. we can easily mark it. Otherwise we have to check the number of our car.
    Thanks for that , Have a nice day.