Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me set up my ´54 Chevy steering on my Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Florian, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Florian

Florian

I just got my front axle mounted yesterday and want to figure out how to mount the steering stuff I´ve already collected.

Here are some basic facts:

1930-31 Chevrolet axle
    1954 Chevy spindles and brakes
    1954 Chevy steering arm

Here are some pics I took today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don´t know if the way I mocked it up is right or not, so any input would be appreciated. Pictures are fine too :)

Thanks!

Florian

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm thiking you want to use the 31 spindles? and 51-59 truck brakes? with the 54 car spindles/drums

and possibly 55-59 truck steering box

3. Florian

Florian

No, spindles as seen in the picture are ´54 Chevy car, I already modified the axle for that. Brakes will also be ´54 car.

I only need to know how to line up that steering bar in the pictures.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is good stuff and I'll keep an eye on this thread. I need to get to work on my Father In Law's 31 Chevy coupe asap before the holidays and I needing info on a juice conversion.

5. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FLORIAN what help? man looks like your doing a good job. just keep on pluging away. most of this stuff is DOING IT YOUR WAY anyhoo! now when you realy get lost, well then these badboy's have the answers. but your not ready to hear just yet, don't understand? you will my friend. call me POP...or the old FART!

6. squirrel

squirrel

the arm that the tie rod connects to, needs to point in towards the center of the rear axle, not outwards.

The solid axle spindles have the mounting ears further back, so the steering arm can fit right against it. You might be able to use thick tube spacers, like they use to space the backing plate on the trucks.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Here is the stock front end from a 51 truck, I can't get the box to turn, but you can see the angle of the drag link, steering arms, etc.

If it would help, I can take pics of my 53 car front end but it is a completely different animal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. how did you modify the 54 spindles? I'm very courious?

9. Florian

Florian

Wow! Thanks for the pictures 53sled! That was what I was looking for :)

I did not modify the 54 spindles, nor the 31 spindles, I only modified the axle.

In this (crappy) picture you can see the two king pins. The smaller one above is the stock 31, the slightly larger one underneath is the 54:

[​IMG]

Luckily I had a friend who could help me then. We made the hole in the axle slightly bigger with a CNC machine to match the bigger 54 pins. We also had to enlarge the little hole that goes horizontaly to the king pin hole, where the pin goes in that secures the king pin, because of the king pin hole´s bigger diameter.

[​IMG]

Took us some time adjusting it all but it fits really well now.

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

im not really sure what you are asking.... but couldnt you just bolt the 2 arms together put them in a vice, and then heat and bend them to the same angle?? or is one longer, just cut it down, champher and reweld?