Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 chevy 6 into 1953 chev can it be done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodGuy1932, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Hi,

I have the chance to buy a 1955 Chevy 6 235ci, i want to fit this into my 1953 Chevy sedan, which has no trans , no motor, no anything , except it does have engine mounts.

I have noticed that the mounts on the 1955 motor are at the front and the mounts i have are on the side. What do i do here.

I have the orginal diff still which is a torque tube so i need advice on what to put in the rear.

Also just scored a 1956 Cast iron powerglide with convertor and flexplate will this fit in my 1953 chev sedan, or do i need more mounts again.

Do i not buy the 1955 motor and try and find a 1954 motor. I want to stay with the 6 cylinder as i have other V8 projects on the go.

Oh and if anybody has the original power glide shift for the column and wants to sell please contact me.

So do i A. Stick with the 55
    or B. find a 1954 motor and use the original mounts. ( let me tell you very hard to find a 1954 235ci here in Oz.

Thanks for the help if you can.:confused:

2. t5stang91

t5stang91

switch out the front plate(behind timing chain) onto the later 235 , that should work. i am gonna switch the plate from a 48 216 into my 62 235 so i am hopefully gonna mount it that way . or weld mounts for the side on to the frame.

3. Looks like that answers the question of the motor mounts, you would need to do something about the tranny mounts, would be similar. For a rear axle, a '55-'57 is almost a bolt in.

4. The Front plate you talk about i dont have what does it look like and what yeaqr is it from, or should i buy the mounting kit from Stove Bolt Engineering?

Sorry this took so long to respond.

5. I wonder what the measurements are for those engine mounts?

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

inliners.org has many solutions as well in the tech archive. If I were going to have to do it, I would use a later 250 i6 and 3 speed auto. Motor mount kits are basically the same as a v8 and the modern trans is lighter, more efficient. Since you would HAVE to swap the rearend and get a new driveshaft anyway.

7. Yeah i have to use what i can get my hands on at the moment, i have the 55 motor and i have a cast iron powerglide to suit so next is mounting and rear end and tailshaft, and transmission mount?

I will check out Inliners.org thanks

Brentyn

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

One thing yu need to take into consideration is that chevs from the 30' up to '51 with front mounts also had small 'stabilizer' mounts at the outer,lower bellhousing to the frame. Because the engine and trans mounts were so low the engine and trans would torque over on accelleration. When they went th side mounts '52-'54 that eliminated that problem. Then '55 -'57 low front mounts returned, but the engines had rear mounts at the bellhousing to frame again.

So, my point is, you need to allow for that when adapting these different mount systems to your chassis. Not all that difficult, but needed to properly control engine torque.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is the water pump is longer on the 55 and later engine. What I've always done is drive the hub back, cut off the extra shaft and use a shallower pulley; then you should have clearance for the radiator.

10. But you can also install the radiator a tad different and get the needed clearance for virtually no hassle; my '50, done old-school in the 60s, the radiator was put back in with the fins ahead of the cradle fins. Makes bolting it on a bitch but there's a full inch between the rad and the fan with a stock water pump.

The 55 motor just needs some round ears to mount to up front, should be easy to fab up if you have basic metalworking skills. Track down a 51-older Chev and copy those frame mounts?

11. 53 2DOOR

53 2DOOR
    from Mn

Just took out a 235 from my 53 Belair, motor has 2000 mile s on since an overhaul. 3 is what I had, have trans and motor plus torq tube etc. etc. just laying ther if your interested.

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It shouldn't cost very much to ship it to Australia.:D

13. Hi,

Guys thanks for all the responses so far i will try and fabricate something. Would love to know the measurements though?