Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone in central ohio just cruise anymore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by il Revrunde, Nov 3, 2009.

1. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

scotbot Winter is fast aproaching but pick a date on the calender and put it on here to say meet at a restaurant for breakfast ,talk cars and old times. We up here in Youngstown have a group of guys that meet once or twice a month thru winter ,talk about what project is going on and it passes time. Who knows as big as Columbus is you might even find a half dozen or so people who think the way you do. Then when the weather breaks you fire em up and go cruise. Just pick a date and a greasy spoon put up a cruiser sign on the table and see what shows up.

2. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

I've been on that thread and I really like what I'm seeing. I'm also super happy that theres been so much positive reinforcement. I'm slowly meeting folks and getting great ideas. I love the idea of the whole American Graffiti thing. I encourage folks to get out there and lay the foundation along with me. Talk to some businesses around that fall into the right categories. See if they're receptive to some guys and cars littering their space, checking out their services. I'd like to set up some shop tours around the place. The old shop at Jegs is a neat place to check out and I know a few folks on the inside there as I used to work there in the mid 90's. I know a couple other places and I'll hit 'em up and see if their into it. Throwing a lil money at them is incentive for them as well. Keep it up gang. I'm super impressed. And really looking forward to getting out there and cruising;)

3. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Fan-fricken-tastic idea! I'll take that advice and get something together pronto

4. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Hollywood Knights was filmed on Van Nuys Blvd....Tubbys was actually an old A&W...Corvette Summer was filmed there along with the forgettable film "Van Nuys Blvd"....

5. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Anyone else have any other ideas? I'm listening

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

il RevRunDe, are you aware of the MoPars on Brice Road weekend that happens every fall? Every night, guys and their families cruise the straight strech of Brice between Main & I-70.

If you're not aware, I'll find out when it's scheduled for 2010, buddy. My wife & I never miss it!

7. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

we use to cruise high street, and out west years ago.
    all the young kids, street racing, gangsters have ruined it sadly.

I would love a drama/bs free crusing and hangin scene in central Ohio again.
    keep me in the loop also :)

8. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

while it's a cool cruise, I have seen plenty of assholes throw shit at non Mopar cars, bottles, rock, etc.

I would kill someone!!

9. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

There are only a couple themes. One is the local guys that hang out and the other is an informal cruise that goes somewhere as a group. I'm a cruise and go somewhere guy with maybe an occasional midweek or weekend hangout thing. You need enough people to make it fun and you need an objective. As I read it, it's to put some miles on the cars and have a good time.

Maybe try some questions to see where people stand and this thread can become the repository of names for the winter months and contact point in the spring. What are guys thinking?

1. Are a cruiser or hang out guy?
    2. Would you travel 50 miles one way to either tour some place or maybe attend a car show to meet new faces and cars?
    3. Would you be willing to meet on a weekday night somewhere local just to look at each other's cars?
    4. Do you prefer to just hang out somewhere local with a few guys?
    5. Offer some comments.

Get the basics of what guys are looking for to see if it's doable and then go from there. I am willing to help if others are and I'm familiar with the longer cruise thing. Scotbot/il Revrunde seems pretty motivated on the hangout and local cruise thing so who knows?

10. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Yup, I know all about it and I hafta go with what was said previously. It is a great cruise, but some folks take it over the top with some of the non mopar guys or stuff they deem out of the circle. The cruising that happens up at collegeview during the good guys weekend is alot of fun but, with far too many cops and a few muscle heads doin burnouts every 100 feet, that gets everyone all gun shy. That alone is probably why central ohio has a bad stigma for cruisin'.

Even though the holidays are around the corner, I haven't thrown in the towel just yet as far as cruisin goes. Sittin on the back of the bed knockin a few back may be out of the question, but wandering down the "strip" a few times and meeting up for hot cocoa is still a viable option. setting up a tour or 2 or a latenight thrash to get wheels to pavement is doable as well.
    :cool:

11. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

So to answer you q's, yes, yes, yes, yes, and "see above":D

12. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Alrighty, I need a sound off on who is where so I can try to determine a good location to get all y'alls in one place at one time. I'm going to try to clear a day on a weekend for lunch or mid afternoon. lat me know if saturdays or sundays work better for prelims. Prevailing vote wins. I'm also going to set up a F**eb**k acct. just for central Ohio cruisers and traditional guys to help keep up with whats going on around town....at least thats the idea. we'll see how well it works, and go from there

13. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Yes and No!!!! No Carney's is no more GONE!! it move up to the Laurel Sq just north of the Org. site from back in 87' then that got shut down and it moved to the "Bob's Big Boy" in K-mart plaze, then Bob's got shut down and then torn down, Now it's a M/T lot, so the cruz was moved back up to Laurel Sq and that is where it is now, there is a new Mc Donald's up there to, we cruz from there down Rt 303 to the new Steak&shake down acrossed from k-mart and back Lot of cruising going on here on Sat. night, Oh and brunswick lake is gone that whole lot was turned into a shopping center, Home depo, Giant eagle and a bunch of other litte stores. The Laurel Sq cruz still pulls in a good 300 to 500+ cars on a sat. night and it's fun to drive down 303 and find a place to sit and watch the rods roar by. Here's a pic to jog your noggen.

Attached Files:

14. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

This brunswick cruz has been going non stop in this town for over 24 years now, not bad.;) Just in case any of you southern rodders want to make a road trip up this way on a sat. afternoon, the lot start's filling up at 3pm and is going strong by 6 to 7 pm.;)

15. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

il Revrende---

PM sent to you

16. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Bttt to keep it fresh.........any other suggestions?

17. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I will offer this..... I've helped with planning a bunch of events in the past. One thing I can say is, find a place that welcomes the cars. Otherwise it's a big hassle. I tried organizing shows/cruise-ins at location with big parking lots (Wal-mart, Meijer, Kroger, etc) and all of them said we weren't welcome.

They were worried about liability and wanted nothing to do with it. Likewise, they are also hip to the idea that most attendees would be coming only for the cars and would most likely not be going there to spend a bunch of money, so the prospect of non-paying customers taking up parking spaces for paying customers was not exactly appealing.

That being said, if you can find a place that car guys like to spend money (auto parts store, small restaurant, ect) it will probably meet less resistance.

This is another suggestion.....
    On fridays there is a Track in Mt. Vernon called Pacemakers Dragway park. It's a 1/8mi track and friday nights is open runs. They run about anything. It's pretty cheap too. Might consider meeting at a place like that. (http://www.pacemakersdragway.com/)

There is the Sonic on Gemini near Polaris as well. TeeJays in Graceland. The large parking lot on the Northeast corner of Cleveland and 161.......

18. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

the huge kmart lot in millrun in hilliard is empty and no one hangs out there.....and gimme a call jon, im looking for a mid 50's sbc v8 for the 56 bel air project, fiberglass tilt front end-period correct......more to follow.

19. Jax2A

Jax2A

Stopped going years ago for that very reason. My dad has a bone stock 63 Corvette roadster and caught a rash of crap. A guy in front of us got his Chevelle peppered with beer cans when reved it up in response to the vocal abuse he was getting.

20. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

yeah, I don't understand some people.

I have learned to love something about all cars the older I get.
    why any car guy, would do that to another car guy is beyond me

21. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i am kinda a lone wolf around here, most people built their cars for shows, very few people drive, they tell me i don't let my car sit long enough to finish, wouldn't have it any other way, i have a buddy bud he is in the middle of a build, i spent to much time and money to let mine be a garage queen.

22. Jax2A

Jax2A

I'm on the North side of Columbus, past Polaris. I have 3 kids so my schedule isn't conducive to "spur of the moment" planning but with advance notice I can generally work something out. Let us know when you get the F**eb**k thing set up.

23. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Another location that would probably blow their load to host a cruise in would be Roadhouse 66 restuarant on Wilson Bridge Rd just north of Schrock. I think they have a myspace page.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  24. Jax2A

Jax2A

That's around the corner from where I work. I'm definitely up for meeting there. I don't know how friendly there parking area is for a cruise in though. I'll take a better look when I drive by it tonight.

25. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Parking area out front sucks. but they have parking in back. I used to throw darts there back when it was Rush Creek. I work near there also on Doubletree Ave.

26. Jax2A

Jax2A

Yea, the front area would hold a small event though, looked like maybe 40 cars. Plenty of over flow around back though in the industrial park. Didn't look like the patio overlooked a parking area though. I haven't been in there since it was Rush Creek, don't know what it's like now. I work over on Dearborn.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  27. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

is that place tucked into the corner across from that cigar shop???? I go that way but those damn RR tracks are a bitch. Thats the real back way home for me.....

28. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

That's the place. Looks like somebody piled a bunch of Betty Boop crap in the middle of the floor over a stick of dynamite and lid the fuse inside.

But food and drink prices are decent/average. Food is decent too. I think they have a happy hour.

29. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Never heard of it. Might hafta make a dry run to check it out

30. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Keepin it fresh.....still takin comments and ideas as well