Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shocked on a trip to get snap ring assortment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sandybeaches, Nov 17, 2009.

1. :eek: This is so not a plug for our local Many/Moe/Jack store......BUT HAS ANYONE BEEN IN TO CHECK OUT WHAT THEY JUST DID TO THE STORE??

As we entered Pep Boys today, I thought I was in the wrong place. A sign just inside the door read, "Pep Boys Speed Shop". They had totally revamped the layout, and the front quarter of the store was separated from the other aisles, and was loaded with every brand of speed equipment you could think of. There was actually a long glass showcase, filled with higher end stuff, and behind the counter was a dude who sounded like he was a knowledgeable motor head. I didn't get to talk with him, but overheard his conversations with several customers. He was definitely not your clueless twit that we normally have to deal with at these types of stores.

The shelves were stocked with all the normal chrome goodies, but also parts and accessories from B&M, Edelbrock, Hedman, Air Lift, MSD, K&N, etc., etc. There was also an assortment of magazines, and soft cover books, tons of exhaust parts, S.S. mandrel bends, flanges, and headers. There are all the air suspension goodies, including bags, brackets, and controls.

They're probably geared toward the tuner and muscle car boys, but their setup is nicer, and better stocked than any speed shop in this area. I went there for a few snap rings, and wound up staying way too long to check out their new setup. Not really catering to the traditional hot rodder, but I was impressed none the less.

2. Flop

Flop

hmmmm in PA too i expected you to be in CA. i will have to check out the local one and see whats up because its only a block away from the shop.

3. gonmad

gonmad

Sounds cool!! I'll have to look in the center of the country!
    Keep us updated everywhere else guys!

4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

The shop im a driver for has had that kinda stuff for years, Mazza auto parts: "If we dont have it, You dont need it!"

5. jasone

jasone

There is a Pep Boys "Speed Shop" here in Los Angeles, no idea where though. Might have to take a trip down to scope it out.

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

1200 west Washington Blvd. LA

Google Pep boys Speed shop then check the images.

7. The one by me is the place to go if ya need a chinese mini bike, air fresheners,oil or a bottle of wax. Parts, not so much. They are carrying a lot of tools and chrome
    do-dads for the ricer boys though.

8. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

that's pretty cool...sometime I'll have to check it out

hotrod writeup here

9. Lancaster isn't that far for me. Looks like a good excuse for a road trip!

10. still the same dummies behind the counter :(

11. :)This conversion only happened within the last month, but considering all the up and coming garages in my area, (I deliver parts to most of them), this up- grade by MM&J may be just rite now for this area.:p

12. :)I had a chance to deliver yesterday to MM&J and talked to the dude that is the manager of said department. Seems this transition only developed over the last several months. Looks like it is getting great response from customers, and could become quite an asset to this area.:D
    I am wondering how many other stores, in the states have this revised area:confused: Appreciate your replies:cool:

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Where in Lancaster ?

14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Yep!

15. it's a speed shop if you got a 350

16. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Hey, you could have a 5.0/302.

17. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Actualllyyyy....They cover far more than that now. Someone there pulled their heads out of their asses and realized other companies made motors besides Chevy

18. LAROKE

LAROKE

Haven't been to any of the local stores for a long time since the nearest one is three times are far away as the local FLAPS, but they have started to sponsor several shows and cruise-in's around here and I have three of three of their "Pep Boys Speed Shop" tee shirts that they give away at these events.

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

do what? there are more than just chevy? well i guess i need to open my mind a little.

20. In the same area as Paradise, which you get to through Intercourse... and then you get to Blue Ball (can you tell I grew up in PA?)

21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have a 350, AND a 351, and a 312, and a 223, and a 454, and a 1600,and just cause the boat hasta be cool, a 1958 Johnson 35hp.
    I'll be checking mine out on the way home.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

We have a true classic rod shop here, Don's Hot Rod Shop, and I will continue to buy my speed equipment there.

23. Actually I think you get to Blue Ball if you haven't been to Intercourse in a long time:)

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Do you make a right or a left in Bird in Hand ?

25. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Don't tell anyone,especially the Ford guys running Chevy mills

26. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

The discovery channel has ruined this fucking hobby. Im going to build furniture now.

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Is it near the Green Dragon ?

There is MM&J in York on RT 30 by pass . anyone been to that one yet ?
    I guess if you have the chev and tuners then you are covered there . Of course all the cheap chinese crap to make you engine looks kool till the rust sets in .

MM&J is a direct connection to china for all their crap ! Can't see them having REAL SPEED parts !

RetroJim

28. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

[​IMG]

29. Hey there Mac....How yu been? How is that ditch doin you fell into?:eek: You sure did get your directions rite:p MM&J is on the Lincoln Hwy just accross
    from the State Police Barracks:rolleyes:

30. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting. Haven't seen that here in Indiana.

They do have a nice assortment of things like diamond encrusted stick on numbers so you can slap 22" or 26" on the side of your Caprice to impress the ladies, and other such junk.

The only real change I noticed during my last visit is that the aisles were all clogged up with free standing displays of RC cars, cameras, neon, lawnchairs and other such distractions for sale. It makes you feel like a real dumb ass walking left/right left/right just to make it back to the oil filters in the rear of the store...