Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this worth saving? 32'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Nov 18, 2009.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

or you already have a decent 32 5 window that someone cut the roof off of 40 years ago.

would make my cobbled together "cabriolet" a really nice 5 window in no time.

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Yep sure sign it was a stocker with it gutted and rear cut .
    I would say 3,000 or so and I think thats crazy! A buddy of mine bought one like that for 250 bucks and uses it as a planter:D

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hope you're kidding. I'd LOVE to have a roof for my 5 window reasonable priced!

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

No...that is just to far gone...it would cosy way to much to fix it....I buy junk cars ..what do you want for it?

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Have you seen my 32 that I am working with??? Fuck yeah that's worth saving. But expect there to be some stiff competition now that you have posted it on eBay. I have been watching this car for a couple days now. I am sure it's going to reach $4000 by the end.

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

This guy is my hero!!!

7. As for the roof issues, take a look at my avatar - it was a 5-window and at some point and for whatever reason, someone cut it off, chopped the shield and made a f-glass lift-off top for it. Here are some pics. There's the one pic in grey primer that shows just how I got the car, also how it looks removed, and in its present state. I've spent many hours pouring over Don Montgomery's books to try and build what I have into something that looks early 50s style.

I just worked with what I had, built up the areas with hardwood for upholstery and had it covered. I'm using a 36 Ford cabriolet rear window opening surround to complete the look. Side curtains are in the cards for later on.

I'm no where near as talented as many of you are working with metal and I again am trying to work within my skill level, budget, and the car itself - I guess I'm trying to depict something that might have been done by an average hot rodder back in the day. At some point I'm thinking I will may change/fabricate whatever to make it a true fold down top but for now this is fine.

Is this the best way to go, no. But it's what I had to start with and just somethng to think about and/or another way of thinking for you to ponder.

Attached Files:

8. 39studebaker

39studebaker

if you dont want to waste your time on it I know a certain person that will :D

9. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Too bad the auction doesn't end a little earlier. I could have possible helped someone out. I am flying into Pittsburg, PA tomorrow to pick up my truck from the Chevy garage (trans went boom while on trip) and driving home to Peoria, IL I will have an empty bed and trailer.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll take both sides please. And what ever else patch you can make while you at it!! Looks great!

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Aw man, that sucks!

TomT, I really dig your neuvo cabriolet. You should be proud.

And I wouldn't be afraid of that coupe either. Everyone always talks about building a channeled deuce but most people can't bring themselves to do it. Cars like this are the perfect opportunity for that.

Look up Zibo's POS '40 coupe project. It was definitely junk and look where he is now with it. It just takes time, skill and passion.

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

WOW We have twins!

I am going the carson top route with mine as well. when it's done it won't be worth quite as much as a five window would be, but it should look decent. I like yours. mine will be an old school carson top, conduit, chicken wire, padding and white top material.

here's what I've got:

Attached Files:

13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Thats a great looking car. The stance is perfect!!!

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm high bidder wish me luck.

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow at 8500 I know were a MUCH better body is and it's got everything but was channeled . Maybe I'm a few years behind on whats what...

16. phlip

phlip

Good Luck!

What's better than luck on ebay is knowing that if you really want to buy something you don't bid on it til there's less than 30 seconds left.

17. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Yep, all the bidding happens in the last minute on ebay...

Unless you have eSnipe...then it all happens in the last 4 seconds or so...

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

30 seconds?? I bid at 6 seconds with e-snipe when I really want to win something. I think it will sell for more than my $2500.00 bid anyways.

19. Thanks, dsiddons - I hope to have it on the road soon.

20. Thanks, Django - just about all you guys here on the HAMB put me to shame but it certainly inspires me!

21. titus

titus

itll probably go higher than everyone thinks!

and yeah its saveable, mine was in that shape when i bought it for 1k 6 years ago.

jeff

22. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I'm intrested! Got some contact info?????

23. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

The trans pictured with the A model running gear looks to be a v8 unit to me. could be wrong...[​IMG]

24. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Reading posts like this makes me appreciate what I started with even more than I did when I got it:)

[​IMG]

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You son of a bitch!!! Rub it in!!! At least when we start with shit it's easier to cut the roof down:D:D:D. Great looking car!

26. Me TOO!!! I could seriously use that!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DS you probably screwed up by posting the photo and letting 40 thousand or more rodders know that it is on there.
    By today's standards it is damned sure worth saving if it is in the right hands. With the way the body was cut in the past it would be a great candidate for channeling.

I'm with the betters that say that the end sale price will be right around 8K I'll bet 8360.00

28. Jeffrey James is saving this one,,HRP

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=750><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>DSC 0068</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=left>Report Picture

Picture Added 09-02-2009 01:26 PM
    Added by JeffreyJames </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

29. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

30. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I couldn't agree more. If I had started with one a lot ruffer I would have chopped it in minute. I just couldn't bring myself to chop one this nice even though I love the lines of a mild chopped 5W.