Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George M.

George M.

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Bruce, please post the cover of that program! I collect covers on .jpgs.

3. George M.

George M.

4. George M.

George M.

5. wow check that out, guess he climbed through the passenger side lol

6. Dr. John

Dr. John

Bryan Osgood (Elmira, N.Y.) 1972 at Oswego (N.Y.) Speedway. Photos by Don Kranz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dr. John

Dr. John

It's "Figari."

8. Dr. John

Dr. John

Are these Jeff Scott's photos from SpeedwaySnapshots.com??

9. sixtyx

sixtyx

Here's some stuff. Sorry I am having scanner problems now ( no com on the wireless printserver) I'll repost when I get it running correctly.:eek:

Attached Files:

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

THANKS!!! I design programs from time to time, and I'm not ashamed to copy good stuff. It's like writing. Good writers copy good stuff from other writers. The great ones steal it outright.

Thanks again.

11. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Just got the remains of this Florida car this week, Plan to restore to this look from 1968. Will post as progress starts. Ted

12. sixtyx

sixtyx

George,

I'm trying to figure out why Blackie Watt is driving one of the X-9 Frank Conway Vegas and where. I know there were two of them, very similar George Wagner drove one and Ted Wesnofske in the other during the '76 at Freeport. Do you have the scoop?

Bruce.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  13. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

The X-9 that Ted Wesnofske drove had a AMC Hornet body on it,otherwise, it was painted and lettered the same as the Vega. I remember the night that they finished first and second in the main at Freeport.

14. George M.

George M.

I believe this was at Trenton (not sure) and Blackie Watt was a gauranteed starter. He was also a "hot shoe", so why not?

_____________________________________________________________________________

15. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

The last season for the drag strip was 1972. Larry had something good there but he had less than zero intrest in drag racing.....It could have made him a ton of money.

16. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

You are correct, if I remember correctly it was on main st (montauk hwy) I saw it a few times, never went in, not sure how long it lasted....... that was many years ago..............

17. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I would have to believe it was depression and his health problems. He was a man in ba shape. When I worked there, I'd remember him getting out of the Buick Convertable walking to us and just collapse. I couldn't believe trat guy kept the schedule he did bouncing from track to track. I did some work at Larry's home way back......I think his daughter found him in the bathroom if memory serves me at all. The oval I think was still making money, but crowds were getting smaller. Giving up the drag strip was a serious mistake. I miss that place, my home away from home. For many years after closing, when I'd need to escape, I'd go down to the ruins on a Sunday afternoon, listen to music of the old days and let my dog run wild on what was the spectator parking lot and drag strip.

18. Brian C

Brian C

Actually George it almost looks like Pocono when they ran on the 3/4 mile oval in the infield. Looking at the back of the boiler plate wall separating pit road from the main straight and from the look of the grandstand in the background. I believe Trenton had a steeper grandstand on the front stretch.

Just my 2 cents.

19. long island vic

long island vic

in the freeport picture you can see the 06 of jerry bartlett,,he also owned the 28 in the last pic,,,jerry died last week after a short battle wt cancer

20. sixtyx

sixtyx

Thanks for clearing up about the body style, this shot is from the Freeport program at the end of the '76 season.

Bruce

Attached Files:

21. sixtyx

sixtyx

Brian,

I think you're correct, if memory serves me right the main staight granstand was covered at Trenton.

I think we're up to 4 cents now;)

Bruce

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  22. George M.

George M.

You're probably right, Brian. But they ran the race of champions at Trenton from '72 to '76. They ran at Pocono in '77, but on the 2 1/2 mile track through 1979.

23. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Pocono also held modified races on the 3/4 mile a couple times a year, before the ROC was moved there. I remember attending the "Flight 216" and the Amalie Oil sponsored events.Photo could be from 1 of those events.
    Didn't the ROC go back to the 3/4 oval after Maynard Troyer flipped in the tunnel turn. I thought Don Pratt died at Pocono in a race on the 3/4 oval.

24. RACE ROD

RACE ROD

This was the way the X9 Hornet looked the last time it was raced ,It was 1980 at Wall stadium in New Jersey I was the driver John matlach I dont drive any more just build cars now .

Attached Files:

25. Hey John welcome aboard! Love the 1st shot. Ken Matlach still races when he can!

26. Hi John, Emil here. How have you been, long time no see.

Islip Speedway Dragracing you say? Here you go boys and girls. I had some real vintage stuff but lost in the old computer, enjoy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_bTXtodQU

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  27. I have original footage of Islip that is great that even has Tommy Ivo running. If someone wants to look through my posts they can find it. Vic might have it and the uphill drags also. Long Island was always a hot bed for oval track racing, road course racing, hot rodding and customs. California had nothing over us but media coverage and glitz.

Ok, they also had some really nasty cars. :-D

28. I grew up watching the old coupes race in Groveland Mass and later when we moved, at Riverside Park in Agawam Mass. Riverside is now a Six Flags theme park & the old track is gone. In recent years we raced on dirt here in NH at Canaan Speedway and at Norway Pines Speedway in Wentworth. There were still a handfull of old coupes racing on the dirt up there until a few years ago in the 6 cylinder modified division. Wifes dad was the flagman at Bear Ridge Speedway in VT for awhile. There is a group of guys in these parts that race vintage coupes mostly just for fun and tour from track to track. Some of the same old cars I grew up watching 25-40 years ago. Names like Bobby Stefanick, Gentleman Jack, Billy Greco, Richie Evans, Ron Bouchard, Bugsy Stevens etc. Check this out.. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...age+racing&gbv=2&ndsp=21&hl=en&sa=N&start=105

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  29. Johnnyone

Johnnyone

You guys did a beautifull job restoring that car !

30. Welcome aboard Johnny, 1st post!!! Man the Long Islanders are taking over this thread, thanks for keeping it alive, I got a few more shots coming soon!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.