Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tried my hand at making a wooden steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milner142790, Nov 17, 2009.

1. milner142790

milner142790

I started out with two peices of oak that were big enough for the BIG DeSoto steering wheel. I then traced around it where the round-stock of the steering wheel needed to go inside of the wood and then measured out how big i wanted the steering wheel to be thickness wise. I had to make up a jig for the router in order to get a perfect circle which worked well. I first routered out the circle with a 3/8 wide by 1 inch deep router bit. After that was done... I used a 1/4 round router bit to get the general shape i wanted to save myself from TONS of sanding. I also used a 3/8 wide half-round bot so the metal rod could be channeled into the wood. Once that was done I used some liquid nails to hold it together and clamped it.. I also put a total of twelve screws evenly paced out though the back to hold it together. Once it had dried, i put a couple coats of MINWAX Gunstock Oak stain and let it soak in for a day. I put the poly on a couple of times and sanded in between coats to get a smooth coat. Steel wooled the chrome center ring and cut off the top part of the ring to give it a more custom look and it was DONE!!! I thought it turned out very well for my first shot at it.

Attached Files:

2. milner142790

milner142790

And here are the last of emm

Attached Files:

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Nice work ,Real nice

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Milner...thanks very much. I've been thinking of doing this myself. All that you've shown will help! - Rick

5. milner142790

milner142790

thanks.... im 19 and i kind of pulled it out of my ass... Turned out well i think... thanks for the compliments and would like ANY advise you might have!

6. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

nice work, real craftsmanship...

7. drock6570

drock6570

that thing looks awesome. Great work Sir

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

DUDE!! That looks GREAT!!! Very Very cool!!!

Thanx for posting !!!!

Ian

9. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

10. 2-TONED

2-TONED

EXCELLENT work!! that wheel looks gooood!

11. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Great solution to a common problem. A guy could probably get exotic with the wood choice and pull off a double-stunner

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a '37 Chevy Master Deluxe coupe that has the "banjo" style wheel. It's in very nice shape, except for the trashed rim...all cracked and broken. I had considered having it recast, but I'm cheap, and have always loved the look of a real wooden rim anyway. I think I'm-a-gonna try it. I'd say that fitment and finish are very important, and you did real good on that front. All I'd have to add, is that I've always admired the narrow wooden rims more than the thick ones. When they get too fat, they remind me of a custom '70s van. A narrow one would be much harder to make...super accuracy would be a must. Also, to me, oak looks good for floors and some furniture, but I personally might prefer something else for a steering-wheel, something darker...possibly cherry or mahogany. It's easy for me to sit here and talk though. You actually did it, and inspire me to try my hand. Just talking preferences. Good job. - Rick

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Excellent work milner.

15. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HOLLY CRAPERS...milner that's fantastic! that's a first for me, and a good 1 at that. give yourself a PAT on the back, you deserve it! call me POP...or the old FART!

16. necrobillygirll

necrobillygirll

damn thats rilly nice . maybe you should make more

17. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Whow looks like you could sell a few of those. Real nice job for your first attempt.

18. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Looks like you're STEERING in the right direction.....Beautiful work!!

19. 343w

343w

Good job Milner, I respect anyone who goes the extra mile to make their project unique and personal, thanks for sharing with us out here in Hambland!

20. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Is it Friday Artwork time already? LOL,,, make me one.

21. Very nice job, looks great.......Norm Abrams would be proud.

22. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Thats a beautiful finish! way to go the extra mile. in the full finished picture the wheel looks kinda thick is that the way it looks in person also? Make sure and post it during tech week. Keep up the good work!

23. Simply beautiful....:D

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

That , my man , is very nice work.

25. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

that is great.

26. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

nice work ,, that thing came out great... keep up the good work..

27. milner142790

milner142790

Thanks guys for all the positive responses.... I have another DeSoto steering wheel that I might try it again on.. Maybe with a different wood and different stain

28. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

nice job - looks great. The ONLY critcism I have is when wooden steering wheels are built they are often in segments or strips of wood that are joined together. Done for several reasons. Small strips of wood (even scrap) can be used instead of wide boards and cheaper to make. And most importantly the direction of the grain is longitudial instead of across the wheel which imparts strength to the structure. You are fine in your construction because you have the steel ring for strength. I have seen some where the builder used alternating dark and light wood (walnut and maple) and also made it in 2 halves so that top half and the bottom half can be sandwiched over the steel ring with each half rotated so the colors were alternated from top to bottom. You did a great job and much nicer than I could do!!

29. Damn!!! I'll bet every time you wrap your hands around that wheel you get a big smile on your face! Killer wheel!! You have done well grasshopper!!