Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tennessee Bound...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Napier, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Well, we finally did it - We FINALLY, after much stalling and discussion, decided to move to the warmer climes of TN today; will probably load up the uhaul (one for house, one or two more for garage) early January after the Holidays have passed.

So, what car stuff is there to do near Knoxville?

Any Hot Rod and/or Race Shops nearby?

I'll probably re-license down there for real estate but am keeping an open mind and would consider a career change too (hint hint) back into automotive/racing stuff if there are any opportunities out there. :D

Al (kinda excited) in CT

2. Gator

Gator

LOTS of shows in the Knoxville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

3. metal man

metal man

Lokar is there , nice big shop .They actually build cars there .

4. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Al, Knoxville is OK, but Middle Tn is AWESOME! Been here 6 years now. The economy is moving along like nothing ever happened, many strips within a 100 mile drive, and the social climate here is ALOT warmer towards "Damn Yankees" than you're gonna find out east. I just leased a 2500 sq/ft shop that wouldn't mind having a Funny Car dwelling under its roof for a while either...hit me up if you wanna check things out here.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Al, you and Tony should get together and build some stuff. Al is a chassis guy . You guys could do something. Lippy:)

6. Gator

Gator

Oh yeah, Joe Mondello's shop is in Crossville, TN - about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville.

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Good choice. Just make sure your new AC unit works. Your gonna need it here in a couple of months.

As soon as you get settled in, travel a little further south and come by the shop sometime.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

8. Iluvnos

Iluvnos

Tennessee Speed sport is in Nashville area and they have lots of racing gear and parts. Have not been in their shop in several years though.

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

I remember going on vacation in Gatlinburg about 10yrs ago and just seeing all the old iron resting in peace up in the hills. I'd move there in a hearbeat if I ever got the opportunity

10. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Being close to Gatlingburg is a plus if you like cars. There's a show of some sort every week it seems. I can't tell you much about that area as far as it pertains to cars, but I've always been impressed with the Chattanooga area......tons of things to do there.

11. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>I just leased a 2500 sq/ft shop that wouldn't mind having a Funny Car dwelling under its roof for a while either...>>>

Well Tony, I do have this 1969 Barracuda funny car body I still need to stretch and section, and a FC chassis to build for someone (other than mine)......That's going to be the biggest challenge, I need to find a place with a decent size garage or rent shop space separately.

I had this daydream tonight, that I built a belly tanker and took it to Maxton to see if I could break 200 mph......... :)

Wifeypoo wants Knoxville (Powell area) so that's where we plan to settle. From Googling it looks like there are close to a dozen tracks (both roundy round and drag) within an hour or so of there.

Kevin, I will definitely stop by and say hi.

I'm debating on selling some of my stuff (TIG, MIG, sheet metal brake, etc.) to make the move easier and repurchase replacement stuff when I get down there but am on the fence about it. My chassis jig is either getting sold or cut up, it's not making the trip, and I'll build a new more elaborate one once settled in.

This is pretty exciting, I've never lived outside CT in my 48 years. I am going to miss my old nostalgia funny car team up here though. Hopefully they'll let me fly in on occasion and crew for/with them.

While I'm ramblin' here - Are fenderless cars legal in TN?

Al in CT

12. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Fenderless cars legal? Hell...everything is legal down here. Our local fuzz is most excellent.
    My twin engine car is going together in my shop at home, so I've got no problem dedicating some race car space in the new shop. Bring that Cuda and start hacking away.

Trust me on this. Before you make a final decision, you REALLY need to explore the whole state. East, West and Middle Tennessee are so radically different in terrain and culture, that they should be three different states. You cannot believe the difference until you experience it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. chilimac

chilimac

You will like Knoxville,great place to live.There is alot to do in this area,lots of car shows,dirt tracks,boating and the Mountains.I've been here 22 years and wouldn't dream of moving away.Welcome to God's Country.:)

14. Knoxville is great. I lived in West TN for 26 years. THere are cars there but you have to travel to a decent show. East TN & the surrounding area is covered up in cars, shops, & shows.

Do you know the Barillio guys from up that way? They have been down here for 10-15 years now restoring old funny cars.

Look me up when you get to town.

JH

15. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Al,
    Congrats man...Hope all goes well with the move and the new place. If you do not mind me asking, what was it that made you finally decide to do it? The reason I ask is my wife and I have been talking about selling and moving to someplace more affordable and with more economic stability. I have gotten sick and now laid off this summer/fall, and now things are really starting to tighten up....but man that is such a huge decision. We have a son who has graduated and a daughter in 9th grade, plus all of our immediate family is here. Just scary thinking about it let alone going for it..... Thanks for your time, Al. Yep, my name is Al too!!!

16. If you like to gulf, cumberland county,crossville tn. is the gulf captol of tn.
    and alot of old car people. Stay out of the gated communities,two many rules.
    I love my ten acres parcel. taxes under $400.00 per year. Joe

17. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Tennessee. has a lot of fun shows and cruises.

18. Congratulations! You made a great choice. 10-uh-c IS like 3 different states; you picked the right one. Memphis is #2 and Nashville is #10 in violent crime in the US.:(

I'm finally retiring and moving from Memfrica to East TN in the spring.:D

Just bought a log house and 12 acres outside of Rogersville, the 2nd oldest town in TN. Out of the way, clean, quiet, LOTS of car activity:cool:.

A big change after 25 years here, but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Good luck with the move. Don't sell and re-purchase your tools.

19. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I've lived in all three of the States of Tennessee.East and middle are both good.There is a lot more diverstiy in middle TN.Great road system in TN. too.

20. I just got back from Pigeon Forge area. Love it around there especially when there is no crowds. Hotels are cheap, real cheap and there's a ton of 'em. Lots of stuff to see and do. Big Bass Pro Shop. Bristol Speedway is all lit up for the holidays. The weather could still be cold in the winter but for you it will probably be like a heat wave. There is no state income tax there but the sales tax is out of sight. That may be a county thing around Pigeon Forge, I don't know. From Knoxville you aren't far from anywhere in TN and that's good. A day trip to Chattanooga is always good. My favorite town in the state I think. Good luck on your move, you're gonna love it compared to the NE ..unless you are like all of those who move here from NYC and all they can talk about it how good things are in NYC and Florida has nothing compared to NYC. Well that road runs both ways, if it's so damned good go back to it!

21. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I just came through the Pigeon Forge area last week in I-40. FYI, there was a severe rock slide near the N.C. / Tn border on I-40. The interstate will be closed for a few months!, and the detour is a pain. Avoid it if at all possible.

Beautiful area. Best wishes. Stu

22. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>If you do not mind me asking, what was it that made you finally decide to do it?>>>

Two things really, both intertwined. First is that a little over 2 years ago I saw the real estate crash coming and was considering doing something else before it got here; unfortunately my wife took very ill and I spent a good chunk of the past two years taking care of her instead of doing any business so I have lost almost half a mil in (lost) gross income and investments the past 24 months while wiping out our savings paying Doctors.

So, she is back on her feet for the most part (about 80% back to normal but seems to have plateaued there) and her doctor says that winters down there will be better for her than up here, PLUS, we both are sick of CT and having visited the Knoxville/Pigeon Forge areas a handful of times, really liking it there, we figure that instead of rebuilding our lives/business here and then heading down there to retire as we planned later on anyway why not just go now and start over there instead.

Clear as mud, huh? Wifeypoo's exact words this past week were "if we're going to struggle to get going again then I want to do it down there where I want to live instead of up here." It worked for me :)

So southward we are a-headin' to warmer climes and lower taxes. Going to be down there December 4/5/6/7th to find housing and hope to move New Year's Day for good. We plan to rent a few years then hopefully buy some land and build a place with a really Really REALLY big garage.........

Al (T-Minus 43 Days) in CT

PS. Anyone want to hire a former chassis guy? (hint hint)

23. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>Do you know the Barillio guys from up that way? They have been down here for 10-15 years now restoring old funny cars.>>>

I know of him, he used to live one town south of where I live currently. We have a couple mutual acquaintances but have never met.

THANKS for the kind words and encouragement everyone, I feel welcome down there already! Don't worry, there will be NO "we did it this way up nawth" coming out of me, I'm looking forward to escaping this very "blue" state :)

I'm hoping I can get into the car scene down there fairly quickly.......

Al in CT

24. williebill

williebill

Good luck..I think you'll like TN just fine..I'm near Knoxville,and yeah,sales tax is 9.75% here in my town,that or close to it all over the state...BUT,for now,no state income tax..Lots of politicians wanting like hell to get one passed,it comes up all the time,but not yet..TN supposedly lags behind other states in many things,but there's no shortage of people wanting to move here,so we ain't all bad.Everybody I know in the NE wants the hell outa there........

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Al,
    I'll be fleeing NYS and following you to Tennesee as soon as I can possibly arrange it. I've spent quite a bit of time in eastern TN and love everything about it, especially the people. I feel more at home when I'm visiting down there than I do when I'm up in the land of taxes! Good luck with your move.

26. storm king

storm king

Whatever you guys do, just head straight down the east coast to Tennessee. Because if you venture west a bit first and go through Bowling Green, you'll never make it further south. I'm a native New Yorker, lived in Tennessee some time ago. South central Kentucky has a nicer climate, less humidity, very mild winter, IMO just better. Very hot rod friendly. Closer to Loisville and Indy, right on the I-65 corridor.
    I run an aerospace grade composites shop, if that Baracuda body is worth slavaging we could probably help you out with it.

27. Either way,,,East,,,West,,or Middle Tenn.,,,,,you will be welcome.
    I have lived here all my life,,been to a lot of different places,,,,but I always feel safe when I cross the state line back into Tennessee.
    I am partial to middle Tenn.,,,but there are great areas all over the state. West is almost all flat,,East is almost all hills,,Middle has a little of both.
    Lots of things to do if you want to ,or lots of privacy if that is what you want.
    I live at exit 258 on I40,,almost dead center of the state.
    Come on down!

Tommy

28. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Learn to say go Vols.

Avoid talking about the UConn Women.

Get a vintage boat and play on the lakes.

29. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>Avoid talking about the UConn Women.>>>

Yeah, I figured that. Probably the only thing I'll miss up here is the Lady Huskies.

I'm sure I'll adjust though :)

Al in CT

30. skwurl

skwurl

We have a cruise up near Johnson city every Saturday. It has about 2 to 300 cars. I'm about an hour from Knoxville. Northeast Tn Has a ton of car shows and such. We also have a ton of outdoor things to do