Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 Behind a SBC? - Hot Rod Emergency

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

What bellhousing are you using? If it's from the 4.3 that the trans came out of, it should be a bolt-in deal.

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I space the tranny out 1/2" from the bellhousing when I use an S-10 tranny behind a SBC, and don't have to modify splines or cut the end off of the input shaft.

I used washers in my truck for 11000 trouble free miles, but Hamilton Intakes makes a cast adaptor/spacer piece.

Here's my truck being the guinea pig for spacer:
    http://www.hamiltonintakes.com/products/s10t-5-adapter/s10-t5-install-photos.html

3. Anderson

Anderson

Gotgas - I bought the trans at a swap meet sans bellhousing, so I didn't have that opportunity.

But aside from that, I've already got a clutch fork and slave cylinder setup working with the bellhousing I have as is that I'd like to retain.

Scotto - a fried found that spacer today for me as well. It would have worked great, except I already cut down my input shaft, effectively shooting that fix in the foot.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    pecker head likes this.
  4. El Gordo

El Gordo

My swap was sponsored by the local Pick-A-Part:D I didn't want the bother of doing a S10 tailshaft switch so I made my own shifter for the '88 Camaro T5.
    I used a S10 shifter, which has a double swan neck. I disassembled the shifter -reversed the stick and cut it down to where it work nice with the used Hurst stick I wanted to use. I made my own crossmember and console.
    Check page 12 of my Domain page below for my "tech page"

5. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Not trying to be a knowitall but you will also need the shifter shaft from the S-10 because it is shorter or just swap out the whole shifter top with forks and all.

6. 55sd

55sd

I've got an s10 trans in my '55 wagon also, shortend the input shaft by 1/2", 3/4" off bearing shaft, and used die grinder to extend the splines 1/2" also running 11" Astro disk cut down to 10 1/2". Still running all stock bell housing, Z bar, and factory clutch fork. I cut the s10 shifter shaft afew inches above the trans and welded a chrome arm off an old Hurst Indy shifter. Hell, after all that work I should have just put my th350 in it. But it's a stick attatched to a pretty healthy small block

7. It's a hard piece to find because there weren't many of the diesel powered S-10s, but the diesel S-10's with the T-5 have a 1/2" thick aluminum spacer between the trans and bellhousing. I was lucky enough to find one at a local scrap metal place and gave the guy a buck for it. You could make a functional equivalent of this piece out of a piece of flat 1/2" aluminum or steel. Also, I used the S-10 pickup clutch disc. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup has an S-10 T-5 running behind a basically stock 307.

8. doctorZ

doctorZ

hamilton intakes out of so-cal makes the adapter/ spacer plate.

9. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

I used a camaro and had to shorted the input shaft.
    fyi, if you are under 55 mph you do not want to be in 5th gear cause it will spin the gear. I did that with a stock sbc in my truck.

10. What do you mean (spin the gear)?
    Bill.

pecker head likes this.
  11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Great question - I'm not sure. I'll bet Snarl would know...

Those must be total length including the gear - the input shafts are normally measured from the face of the transmission (ie - installed) and should be 6-3/8" and 7" (S10) - or thereabouts. Just so folks aren't confused when seeing these numbers...

12. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

I was in 5th just above 55mph and let off for a sec and back on lightly on the throttle, then snap, no 5th gear, I would put it into 5th gear and it would not move, I would have to place into 4th to keep moving. Got lucky no grinding, so drove home. So, I just call it "spinning".

The chevy are not built as strong as the mustangs. I have been told that people have the mustangs internals placed into the chevy case. (not sure on this)

13. brady1929

brady1929

lots of good info here.

14. I have a question. I have two t5's. One from a 4.3 s10 and one from a ford turbo coupe. Does anyone know much about the turbo coupe transmissions? are they stronger than the s10 transmissions? I'm planning to replace my corvette 4 speed in my model A with an overdrive. Which do I use?

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The Turbo coupe one may be stronger, but you're up against adaptability - it's got a long thin input shaft.

What are you trying to adapt it to?

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I also had to shorten the input shaft 3/8 of an inch. But as for that 5th gear comment..... my nailhead pulls 5th gear all the way down to 30 MPH. I have no idea what happened to your 5th but it wasn't for being under 55.

pecker head likes this.
  17. Im putting the t5 behind a corvette 350 in my model A. I have a sagina 4 speed now with 3.73 rear gears and the cruise rpms are too high for me. Does anyone know if the turbo coupe t5 will bolt to my bellhousing?
    Thank you

18. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

No. You need a WC T5 from a V8 Camaro/Firebird - it should bolt in place of the Saginaw 4-spd. Anything else will either be too weak, or too hard to adapt.

20. Anderson

Anderson

No joke. I'm spending entirely too much money to make this work.....but it's what I've got, and I've also got plenty of time so it will do. Worst case, I'll have to rebuild the thing with W/C internals one day. Oh well, live and learn.

Anyway, I got my Camaro input shaft last week, and it is just right. The top one is the Camaro V6/Astro, the bottom is the S-10. It is a direct swap (though I didn't order a new bearing, so I'll be waiting on that now).

The spacer would have been a much easier way to go, had I known about it before I started this mess....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    pecker head likes this.
  21. bobscogin

bobscogin

The T5 wasn't used behind the 4.3 in the S10. That would be an NV3500.

Bob

22. bobscogin

bobscogin

I recently installed a 1986 F-body 2.8L V6 T5 (1"-14 spline input) behind a 4.3L V6, and it fit with no modifications. I used a 621 bellhousing for an 11" clutch, Astrovan flywheel and pressure plate/ 11" disc assembly, and Howe Racing hydraulic throwout bearing. Aside from drilling the trans mounting flange bolt holes for 1/2" bolts, it was a direct bolt on. No need to cut the input shaft or bearing retainer.

Bolb

23. synthsis

synthsis

This is a little OT but related. I've got a line on an 89 S10 for $200. blown engine, but the trans is fine. I want to put this in my 49 AD Chevy truck to get the 4th and 5th gears so I can actually drive on the highway. Anything I should look out for? BTW, it's got a 235 in it, not the stock 216.

24. Anderson

Anderson

Input shaft swap works like a charm. And when I eventually swap in a W/C it will bolt straight up, just need a new clutch disc. With that adapter, I would have had my trans mount further back and in the wrong spot for the W/C which wouldn't require the adapter.

25. What clutch (26 spline) clutch cover and flywheel are you guys using in a sbc?

26. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Just get a setup for a Camaro/F body - lots and lots of options from stock to wild. 10 1/2" if you've got a smaller bellhousing or 11" if you've got a bigger one. If you go through Summit's site, you can select all that stuff based on vehicle, get your part numbers, compare prices, etc. and go from there. I did this same thing for my T. Ended up with a McLeod steel flywheel and 11" clutch. Why? No reason beyond personal preference. Take into account the # of teeth on the flywheel to mate with your starter. If your T5 has the Chevy bellhousing and a 26 spline input shaft, treat it as an F body trans. The only thing I'm not sure about is pilot bushing in your application as you had the S10 WC T5 w/ the Chevy bolt pattern. I don't have one of them to compare. Hope this makes sense.... saw your other thread.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

^^^^^

loudbang likes this.
  28. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

What is the total length of the splines in the clutch disc? If you can spare the 3/8" then you can turn the shaft down where the splines end to the minor diameter of the splines plus 0.010 and then the shaft will slide on through the clutch disc. 235 Chevy 6 cylinder input shafts were done this ways for years and Corvairs used an input (quill) shaft that was about 18" long that had the regular Chevy clutch spline at on end and splined at the other end to fit the transmission. The smooth shaft area between the splines was only about 5/8" in diameter. I had a 66 Monza with a Crown V8 kit and a 350hp 327 that I drove the shit out of and the long skinny shaft held up when nearly ALL it's weight was on the rear tires.

loudbang likes this.

29. Yeah I have a really rare t5. It's a WC but it's Chevy pattern. 26 spline. So the f body throwout bearing,and flywheel,clutch parts will work? I've seen different info on what to cut the input shaft also

battman5615 and loudbang like this.
  30. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I will measure my WC F body input shaft diameter and length for you to compare it to. If the dims match yours I don't see why they wouldn't work. I can't imagine GM having multiple different variations for 1 or 2 years.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018