Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a B motor after 1.5 years of sitting PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VinnieCap, Nov 17, 2009.

1. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Hey Guys,

Amature here so be patient...

Got a car yesterday ('32 4-door), I will post pics in another thread soon.

Anyway got it trailered to my house and pushed in the garage. Owner said her husband was driving up until 1 1/2 years ago. Battery is completely dead so it did not even turn over. I am currently trying to charge it, if not I'll buy a new one.

So what do I need to do to start this thing?

I figure I will use a temporary gas container as the tank looks rusty inside and I want to have that cleaned and coated.

Stupid questions:
    - do these motors have dipsticks to check the oil (didn't see one)?
    - Can I just use 10w-40 to change the oil?
    - Any good reference sites or books for these motors?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Vince

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. SAE-30 non-detergent oil in motors with no oil filter.

I would pop the plugs and put a little mystery oil in the cylinders and crank it over a bit before trying to run it.

3. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Shouldn't be that difficult if he was driving it last year. The dipstick is on the left (driver's) side about halfway back at the oil pan rail. I'd bet a good battery should have it running pretty quickly.
    B motors have a mech fuel pump low down and forward on the right (pass.) side. If the tank is really rusty you could hold a temp. tank near the pump with a supplemental line. Crank the motor with the hand crank a few times to make sure it's free; if it's not, then you've got other problems. If it were mine I'd check the water 'n oil and fire 'er up. Pull the choke the first couple of cyl's, then release. Hand throttle should be out a little ways. Let it run a while and get warm, then look at the oil again. If all seems well, then change to your 10w-40. If it was run on non-detergent oil, it may take two or three oil changes at 500 mi intervals to get it fairly clean.
    Fordbarn.com and ahooga.com are both good Model A sites and lots of help there for B's too. Also, you want to chceck out Vince Falter's site, the name of which escapes me right now, but it's dedicated to Model B's. Good luck.[​IMG]
    Fearless

4. woodlandca

woodlandca

Oh yes, you have a dipstick. The dipstick will be located down low on the drivers side of the engine. If you dont have a dipstick i would advise you to drop the pan and do a visual inspection. 30w non detergent oil is what i would use. not use high detergent oil yet. How do you know the vehicle has a model b engine???

5. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

You've already got two opinions on the oil issue; any more and it'll be overflowing your dipstick. Ask any two Model A guys about oil and you'll get two opinions. Make your own decision after reading what others have to say, on both sides of the question.
    Fearless

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Remove plugs, oil to piston, try to get some marvel mystery oil down valves.
    Turn it over several times with the handcrank (look under back seat!)...you'll need to turn it to catch all valves open to squirt the oil down each. Have one of your staff crank it slowly while you peer in and verify that all valves move...if some are stuck, more MMO, push shut gently and keep turning and pushing til free.
    Dipstick is on left behind generator.
    You get an excellent shop manual by buying the repro '32 Service bulletins from any of the old Ford supply places...also get an owners manual for your basic questions.
    You can toss in a 12v battery for a startup attempt, but I wouldn't run it long because of load on coil. After long sitting it may well need a new fuel pump diaphragm.
    I think maybe biggest catalog of B stuff is at Sacramento Vintage Ford. Also get in touch with Joblot Automotive in Queens for a fast and expert local source.
    Actually, I just remembered Dick Spadaro, member here, Ford supplier in NY with VERY serious interest in '32's. Call him firstly!

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

8. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Just assuming it's a model B motor since it's a 32 Ford. I thought the 4 cyl. motors in the 32's were model B's?

Am I wrong? I can take pics when I get home.

9. jim galli

jim galli

Always fun to jump in on Model A/B oil debates. When I worked at Galpin Ford in the mid '70's there was an elder mechanic there that everyone really enjoyed and respected. He had been a Ford mechanic since 1937. I had a Model A roadster at the time and asked him about the oil issue. His answer made the most sense of any heard to date. He told me that the Model A oiling system was so marginal that whatever the tiny percentage was that made up the soap and additives was too much to lose in one of those motors. I've always run non-detergent. Was sorry to see Western Auto drop their 40 wt a few years back.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also...get a flexstone file if you can find one, a contact burnisher...if not, a point file hangiong in Sears with other files and lightly dust off the points...they get covered in a non-conductive tarnish in storage.

11. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Here are some pictures of the motor... The I disconnect the battery and noticed the positive was strapped to the tranny and the negative went up further towards the motor... if that correct? Again, this is all new but doesn't the pos go to the starter?

Anyway here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kirby1374

kirby1374

Isn't stock Ford positive ground? I know Model A's are.

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes!!! Positive ground!

14. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Ok, thanks! I just ordered a new battery from my local garage just around the corner. So hopefully I'll have that in the next day or so.

So what engine do I have (A or B)? I thought the later 4 cyl. motors were B motors, but I have a feeling I am wrong.

15. Piewagn

Piewagn

It's a "B" engine! Pics of the rest of the car please!!!!

16. kirby1374

kirby1374

yes, you have the fuel pump, no lifter valley oil tube and a self advancing distributor, so all signs point to "B". Also it is 6v, you probably know but, ya.

17. kirby1374

kirby1374

18. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

it`s a "B". and you have the radiator cap on backwards. looks like a nice car, congrats!

19. You have a B motor. Fuel pump gives it away. If you remove the oil fill tube and peek inside the oilpan you should be able to see if it has the counterbalance crank. Check out the monthly banger meets and hopefully you will keep the four.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

21. dudley32

dudley32

definately a B motor..fuel pump gives it away...Model A did not have
    a fuel pump...B motors are nice..more oil pressure..crank has bigger journals..
    and most sought after...congrats..d32

22. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

And I spotted your dipstick right below the coolant return inlet on the left (driver) side as predicted. Now let's get 'er started!
    Fearless

23. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Check out the link that Bruce provided. You'll find out where to find your engine serial number which will help with your information gathering.
    More pics of the car please !

24. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Alright guys... I went out tonight and bought some Mystery oil and SAE 30 non detergent.

Battery is supposed to come in the next day or so, so will be trying to start it then.

I also posted a bunch of pics of the car here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418894

Check it out!

25. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Vinman Nice car I would like to have a 32 4 dr. myself.
    My son lives in Kimberten not too far from you and I live in ridley township PA.
    Maybe you saw my truck go to most of the shows.
    FRANK

Attached Files:

26. Buy a copy of the 1932 book from the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org). About $80 but the best book on what is authentic. Not a "how to" service manual but it shows everything that is correct for your car.

Charlie Stephens

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That round can just behind and above the head on the firewall was a engine dampener. Used to have a spring-loaded fabric belt from it to the engine to dampen engine vibrations.

Whatever oil you choose will do just fine. Detergent oils don't clean blocks, they keep contaminants in suspension so they don't become sludge, with regular oil changes of course.

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Just seen the pics of your car. Very cool.
    Yup...as somebody else has mentioned, the Banger Meets are the place to be.

Looking forward to you getting this one up and running.

29. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

COOL car! Bangers are a blast. My dad and I brought home a stock model A roadster p/u that had been parked since the 70's. Did the MM oil deal, changed oil, rolled it over by hand, jumped the 6v with a 12v charger and drove it around with a gas can tied to the radiator supports...

Hopefully you will be as lucky, they are pretty forgiving little buggers...

Keven

30. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I hope you ordered a 6 volt battery.