Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs caddy project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskolmodela, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cretin

cretin

Don't try to talk him back into it now! We just saved a caddy.

2. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Im glad your deciding not to desecrate the car...Guys we did a good thing we just saved a cadillac :cool:

3. oldskolmodela

oldskolmodela

i will get pics of the cadillac as soon as i can get a camera that works. the straight axle ideal was just an ideal. it was going to cost more than i have to do it.

4. CShroom

CShroom

Wow. Please don't. Try to find a rust bucket to destroy or something if you really want to do this to a Caddy. If it is as nice as you say. you can sell it off for enough to buy a rust bucket AND pay for the parts.

I mean a Caddy done in Gasser style. And this is because you wish to be different. different is fine, but I am still not sure how stuffing a straight axle under something is that different. If you see one in every magazine, then wouldn't that be more of the same? OK, so maybe it can be called different because you are bastardizing a car I would give my left nut for, but I just don't see it.

This is kind of like taking a diamond ring and putting it in a block of cement. Your's to do whatever you please, but damn questionable thinking.

And that Lincoln makes me feel a bit queasy. I have wanted one of those since I was like 12. And to ruin it like that just makes me sad.

Edit: Sorry just saw that you were not going ahead with that idea. Good deal.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

cads are low and mean,so that's another no!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Caddy's should stay near the ground where they belong.

7. 50's? Opps... what a bad time for a type-o.

Also, now that I've read that the owner claims that it's a rust free car with a perfect interior but he dosn't have the straight axle money, I'm calling bullshit. Dude, post some pics, and sell the car....

Also, I've heard back in the day a stock caddy would eat up the others on the strip, it's just that they were too expensive to own or race one, which makes sense. I think they cost 2-3 times what a chevy did.

8. titan79

titan79

This post belongs to my baby brother (23), he is a good kid with sometimes misdirected intentions (i.e. caddy gasser) he has built some great cars and is sharpening his fab skills. The Caddy is a project I have had for a couple of years and has sat due to a window in the block created by a connecting rod. It is a very nice start with very good interior and some slight surface rust on the hood and roof.

He and I have considered trading and he was looking for some feedback on ideas.

Please continue to give honest feedback to all of these young guys and help keep this hobby on the right track. The replies that were educational as far as feasibility of the project were by far the best as they aimed to teach not preach.

We are both proud to be HAMB members
    Thanks

P.S. The car will not be for sale as long as I am around, he knows that is part of the deal if we trade. 1956 was my grandfathers favorite year Caddy and this one stays put.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Only if your putting it in the trunk to take home for another project.

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

well my heart feels better.

11. rixrex

rixrex

Right on big brother, Thanks for settin the Lad straight..put a big honking Eldorado 500 in that 56 for thrills..stab the pedal and you'll soon forget about the straight axle....

12. mal-capone

mal-capone
    from Australia

This is what I was saying on the previous page, Nascar look or Pan American, circuit car. Now thats diffrent.

13. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Im glad you scraped the idea of a straight axel, you just seemed so gung-ho though!

14. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    from Tucson AZ

i vote no, make it low!

15. CadillacMat

CadillacMat

this is just as heavy as a caddy
    straight axle is strong enough[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

Its usually hard to be different in a society that likes "tradition". Being dieffernt is good, but you have to be good at being different. If ya do it, it better be done good. My hats off to you if you can pull it off.

17. 31modelo

31modelo

Being different is easy but, being different and tasteful is the goal. This was idea was neither.

18. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

god for a moment there I thought he was going to build a car for some sorta mad max movie..straight axel first.. then some big honkin zoomies sticking out the hood..flat black with massive spikes all over. .I can see it now.. tina turner lookin like a prune hangin out the window bug eyed...man I wish someone could take back those few minutes I had that image in my head for..

19. Jacob Goodin

Jacob Goodin
    from Cincinnati

Don't do it! Caddys were made to be cruisers.