Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up a 56 GMC today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrannyMan, Nov 11, 2009.

1. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I have been wanting a big window truck for a while, I have been looking for a short bed but stumbled on this long bed and it's so original I had to have it. It needs a lot of TLC but it's a factory V8, with O.D. Transmission, Power brakes, even has the cab bars still in the engine compartment. Lots of old literature under the seat for the 50's, Hasn;'t been on the road since the 70's....

Here we Go..........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TexasDart

TexasDart

Well you needed another project...:) Looks good. I like the long bed. So what is your plans for this one.

3. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Cool, I just got a 55 chevy 2nd ser. truck I like the v8 over drive like TexasDart said whats the plans for it?

4. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

First things are just to see if we can get it running, and then go from there, I bought it for me and my kid to work on together, It will definetly be a long term project. I used to have a fully restored SWB 6cyl one, this one will probably not make it to that. I probably will wind up trying to do body work myself and paint it with primer and just drive it as we go.

Got to finish my Belvedere first...putting a 500BB in it to try and make the Texas Thaw with,

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Let's see some pics of the brake booster & the O.D. ...

6. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

[​IMG]

The overdrive is under the truck....:). It's locked up in my enclosed trailer right now.

7. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Bumper/grille is in the bed,,,,
    [​IMG]

8. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Nice truck, I always liked this style of GMC, Chevy trucks.

9. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Man who would ever want one of these?.............I get asked alot HA! HA! cool truck man you scored on the bumper!someone played push truck with mine,yours looks nice and clean.Keep us posted on the progress.

10. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Great looking Truck, How did you find it? I think the stories of how you find them are very interesting too.

11. Without a doubt my favorite of the mid 50s tricks.very cool grill

Attached Files:

12. That is a pontiac engine. Should be the 317 cu in version. I have a 55 with a 287 pontiac engine. yours looks to be a very doable project.:cool: OldWolf

13. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i have a 56 gmc shortbed too and they are nice trucks.

14. slammed

slammed

Lucky dog! You going to restore it?

15. onedge

onedge

sweet good ole truck...i like it.

16. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Thanks Man. I have no idea what engine is in it. I am going to have to find some points and stuff for it. The guy said he had it turning over but coudn't get it to start.

Here's a picture of the 57 I had about three years ago. It was a six.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I will be able to get this 56 as nice as my old truck, I might just have to try and save the patina and drive it.
    No interesting story, seen it on craigslist, scooped it up. Didnt even dicker with the guy on price.

17. Here's a little inspiration for ya.. My uncle's truck at the HAMB drags. It has a later model pontiac V-8, with a Heidts front end.
    [​IMG]

18. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

This thing is awesome!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^WHat kind of red is that?

19. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

hey dan hay. i fel in love with your uncles truck recently when i stumbled upon a pic.
    good luck tranny man. i love my 56 chevy. but there's just somethin mean about hte fronts of those gmc's

20. No idea. The truck was a restored original that the previous owner did the drive-train, front end and wheels. So.... it could be original GMC color?? THat's a total guess.

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice to see a factory Gmc Pontiac powered still intact. For some reason GMC engines were listed as 1 cid bigger than the Pontiac counterparts...

It's supposed to be a bright red if there is any factory paint left on the block.

22. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

And that thing actually runs....

poured some fresh oil in it, Put a set of points in it, filled the carb up through the vent tube, pour some gas down it's throat and after about twenty minutes of coaxing she fired up. Has 45psi oil pressure. Those lifters were clanking for about 2 minutes and then shut up. Carb is shot, fuel pump doesnt pump, water pump wont turn, radiator leaks, been sitting since 1972 so it needs 37 years of maintenance done to it.

Heck I might try to save this motor....

23. artiep

artiep

These trucks have a great body style. I am trying to find one in my area that isn't a arm and a leg to buy.

24. Mart

Mart

My 58 GMC is a long bed, but the rear has been bobbed by about 9". Looks ok.
    I say it's a short longbed.

25. MJVAUGHANS

MJVAUGHANS

Trannyman, if there are any questions you have or anything I can help with I know a fair amount about these trucks. There is also a website/bulletin board dedicated to them that has some members that are unbelieveably knowledgeable. Many in Texas.

www.oldgmctrucks.com

BTW-I have a 1956 Longbed, V8, Auto, Deluxe cab, Side mount spare, Two tone green.

mike
    georgetown texas

26. LowFat48

LowFat48

those are really nice trucks , this one belongs to my brother

Attached Files:

27. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I might need some help, I am searching for parts now. Need a water pump, and housing probably....

28. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If you have a Napa nearby, 58594 is the # for the cast iron impellar water pump. The housing is the timing cover itself .

29. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I drove a '56 SWB GMC as my work truck in HS. A friend had one just like it except for the Poncho. That truck would fly.

Mine had the big straght six -- one day my brother knocked the muffler loose.

Had to drive to town with my head outside window -- resonace in that cab was a killer.

Loved that truck -- I'm talking with a guy now about a 3/4 ton he's got that I'd love to have.

I've got a BBC that would fit perfectly where somebody's stuffed a newer six.

30. MJVAUGHANS

MJVAUGHANS

Water pump is easy. Just ask for one for a 1955 287cu. or a 1956 316cu. Pontiac from the parts store they are the same.

(I could not tell from the pic but you could either have a 288 or 317 in a 1956). They were not overly concerned with correct documentaion back then. Mine is clearly a 1955 by all standards, and VIN plate data, but big as day says 1956 on the title.

The water pump housing/timing cover/crank seal are one big cast iron piece. You just need to clean it up real well and reuse. You probably have some rust pitting but don't be alarmed, there is plenty of material there! In the event you need a replacement I have one I could sell. I machined mine out to accept a modern oil seal(60's style) and I aquired an extra in case I screwed it up. Great upgrade!