Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bolsa boy, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Chance it

Chance it

2. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

They had closed, changed they're name and under new mgmt.........since Katrina....alot of stuff had changed down there..........

3. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you lived near (or in! :D) the Adult Emporium! I used to pass it on trips out to Redi-strip (or flights out of town), years ago. Besides, there haven't been any "great" speed shops in NOLA for decades! :rolleyes:

4. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

That subdivision over beside that airport road that has that big wooden wall .......close by where the Kenner cop car was...........

Are you Chris, From Lockheed-Martin?????

5. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

don't worry tip's is still open. i have friends that work there. it ain't goin nowhere anytime soon.

6. Chance it

Chance it

Can't stop myself...
    Most people going to New Orleans already know what to expect.
    If you (and you should) decide to check out Bourbon St you probably already know it's gonna be rough. Saturday & Sunday is amateur nite and yep they're out there and it's not pretty. Really? You bet. Check it out but move on, there is a lot more to offer.
    Ask your hotel staff to recommend some places. Tell them what you're looking for. Then stay off Bourbon!!:eek:
    Group of folks I go with, age range 33 to 64 and we've always had a blast.

Audubon Zoo, Mardi Gras World, Plantation tours, antiquing, aquarium, Southern Comfort tour (think it's still there) can go on and on.

Best hamburger you will ever eat? Portofinos. Gotta try it.
    Brunch? Court of Two Sisters

7. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Cool....thats good toknow, thanks for the tip..........Hey Chris.........I think we know each other...............

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Go to Central Grocery and get a coke and a muffuletta. Other than that I can tell you were a yarn store is wife stuff.

9. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

a great bar i forgot to mention, erin rose bar on conti half a block north of bourbon is a great locals bar. friendly enviroment and good prices too.

10. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Cajun food!! I'd be lookin' for who has the best mud bugs...

The cemeteries are pretty neat if you like stuff like that...

I can't remember if it was any where close to N.O. but when we went there we found a REALLY old chruch kind of in the swamps with a REALLY old cemetery that was super cool... I'll have to ask my old man where that was... We spent a couple weeks in Louisana, Mississippi, and Arkansas, we went down to pick up a tractor dad bought in I believe Miss. staid with a nice family and then went and checked out the other states, the beaches, and the food... All in a '78 F350 flatbed with a nasty 460 and a crusty John Deere on the back... good times!

11. Wildfire

Wildfire

Come to Mandeville and help figure out how to tune my banger with two 94s!

12. lowride

lowride

I am relatively new to the NO area but would highly recommend The WWII museum and the Audobon Zoo.
    I also love the live music anywhere here.

13. Homemade44

Homemade44

Check out the attached link. http://www.gulfcoastmotorsports.com/
    This is where most people in South Louisiana and Mississippi look to see what is going on with car event. The organizers of the events in the New Orleans area might want to post their event on the site.

If you decide to come to the Mississippi Gulf coast PM me and I will try to help you find something to do over here. I am about 5 miles from the drag strip in Gulfport. If you are into metal shaping I can give you a tour of my shop and if you want I will try to teach you some of the basics.

When I was growing up in New Orleans in the 50's and 60's we had more than 50 hot rods running and being worked on in my neighborhood. Not like that anymore.

14. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Ain't that the truth.......wish I'd got to know ya back about 15 or 20 years ago....man we coulda built some stuff.....now I'm blowin' anything from racin' lawnmowers to AA/FC's.......some of those 4 engines tractors, too, for good measure! Ha!:D

15. Abone29

Abone29

Friend of mine just took her kids down for a Fri. -Sun. weekend.She told me about a thing called a Power Pass that she bought online.They rode the paddle wheel river boat,went to the WWII museum,The Aquarium of the Americas,Audobon zoo,The new Insectarium,Imax theatre,swamp tours,graveyard tours,and a ton of other stuff.She said it included about 40 things that you could do.Kinda pricey at $100 per person for a 3 day Pass or I think $60 per person for a 1 day pass.But you know as well as I do that in a tourist trap like that you'll easily spend that much.If you are interested google New Orleans visiticket.

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Keep your wallet in your front picket and put a mouse trap in your back pocket!

17. Il Bravo

Il Bravo

I was down in N.O. for Mardi Gras this year (ain't bachelor parties great)... mostly avoided Bourbon Street at night, but have to say the quieter streets of the French Quarter were awesome, good food, good drinks, and a pretty relaxing place to kick back and have a few with my buddies. There's a bunch of local cocktails that were invented here that I made it a point to sample... Sazerac, Viuex Carre, Ramos Gin Fizz, Pimm's Cup (not to mention the Hurricane's and Hand grenades). I just asked some locals where the best places to find these were and went to the most popular responses... was never disappointed. We also hit up the locals for restaurant recommendations for cajun/creole food that weren't too touristy, and, again, I wasn't disappointed. For live music, which is spectacular down there, we hit up some venues on Frenchmen street (which I believe is in the Marigny, just east of the French Quarter)... that was probably the most fun I had in the five nights there, great music till dawn. During the day I just did a lot of walking as I'm kind of an architecture buff, hit the Quarter, St. Charles Avenue, up near Bayou St. John, Magazine Street (good little stores for shopping/browsing if your lady is with you), Tulane U, Audobon Park, through a couple of cemetaries and along the river. Everybody I ran into was ridiculosuly friendly (Southern Hospitality) and quick to offer suggestions of good places to go if you asked. There were several very dodgy areas, but it went block by block and these were easy to avoid. One of my former college roomates lives down there (the former bachelor), and while I don't remember the exact names of some of the places I went, he would... send me a PM if you think you might be interested in a specific bar/music venue as I'd be happy to pass them along.

18. Homemade44

Homemade44

Don't take any bets from people on the street like "Bet I can tell you where you got your shoes" The answer is "On your feet" pay up.

19. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Im from there and just got married there last weekend. The wedding was in Lafitte Bayou more of where Im from and if anyone wants some good fishing guides I can hook you up. Have friends who alos run air boats and such too so send me a note if youre still there. As far as the whole crime thing then I guess you live in North Dakota and everything is peachy where you are at. How about judging certain spots or areas than judging the whole city. You wouldnt want people saying hot rodders are assholes and dont care about the community and generlize you right? Well dont say thta about an entire city. New Orleans people have great pride in that city and its more than what I can say about alot of other places. For those who do your an asshole and I gaurantee New Orleans has more character in a 3 miles radius than most cities in this nation. Yes New Orleans is hurting for the hot rod scene but it doesnt mean its a piece of shit just cause the hot rods arent as plentiful. At one time it was, just as SO many people talk on here about rebuilding well so is New Orleans so give it time.

20. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I did that! Not the mouse trap but the wallet thing.

21. lowride

lowride

LOL! I fell for that one! He didn't like it when I told him to F--- off!

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

HAHAHAHA !!! I just remember the buy 1 get 3 beers at a few of the bars down there. Wasted within a couple hours. Plus, the 25 cent oysters, shrimp, etc..........good eating down there. Also, the Garden District had some really cool houses to see.

23. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

sounds like a cemetary i was taken to out towards lafite.