Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 cylinder Chevy intake and exhaust manifold help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pjbjr413, Nov 15, 2009.

1. pjbjr413

pjbjr413

I have a '54 Chevy pickup with a 235 in it, when I bought it the exhaust manifold was cracked making for a horrible exhaust leak. I have dug up 2 more exhaust manifold but neither has the correct bolt pattern on the heat riser, the holes on the intake are further apart than the studs on the exhaust manifolds. What year exhaust manifolds or casting numbers will I be looking for to correct this issue. I'm not quite ready to go the header route as the finances won't quite bare it at the current time, I'm just tired of looking at the truck sitting forlorn in the corner of the shop and I want something cool to drive again.....Thanks for any and all help

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I think all the 235s are the same. maybe the ones you got are off a 216?

4. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

I believe the Oilslinger is right.......why no grind out the crack and braze it up? Problem solved.........

5. pjbjr413

pjbjr413

The others being 216 manifolds may be the problem, the manifold came off in 2 pieces, so if I repair it, I just feel like I'd be repairing it again soon

6. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Hey dude.......I don't care if it came off on 3 diff. pieces, bolt it back on tight and grind the crack out a good bit, preheat that puppy, flux tha hell outta it and lay that bronze in there..........she'll be as good as new! If you see any more cracks, drill a really small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from running and braze those up at well........

All your out is some time and acety/oxygen, and you've praticed the art....cause if your gonna hotrod a long time.....your gonna need the chops..........:cool:

7. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Go with some Fentons and split em.

8. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

There ya go!!!!!

9. roddinron

roddinron

He just said he ain't got the cash! Grind the pieces, put it back on and braze it, then take it off and braze the areas you couldn't get to. Cheap fix.

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

I think I have a spare 235 manifold. Send me a PM

11. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

My bad...read this last night, and forgot you had said money wasn't quite there yet. A good investment though, maybe just start saving up for a pair, best thing is to keep an eye open for a used set, can usually get a good deal.