Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repatriating a U.S. Auto from Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Anybody have any experience with their Department of Motor Vehicles in moving a car originally from the States, but now in Canada, back to the States? I have found a car in Quebec that the owner claims is from the Southeast. Anybody know what is involved in terms of customs, etc to move the car back to the States (Virginia)? The car is drivable or trailerable and the owner has clear title and documentation that it originally came from North Carolina. Thanks for any guidance here you can give me.

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

3. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Contact U.S. customs & Boarder Security. I think all they have to do a re-entry form on a US built vehicle. It will say on the VIN where the car was manufactured.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

get the guy to bring it accross for you . buy it in the states . i know this is done alot now ... steve

5. Wheelless

Wheelless

I believe you will only have to deal with US customs.

6. The vehicle has to be exported from Canada and Canada customs has to know about it. A few years ago I drove a vehicle to CHRR in bakersfield and someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold it. When I came back to Canada, Canada Customs asked where my 61 Ford was so I told them I sold it and all hell broke lose.
    I almost ended up with a $5000 fine, the only thing that saved me was the guy who bought my 61 Ford was from New Zealand and was exporting the truck from the US and over to New Zealand.

7. X2 Much easier than dealing with the border patrol.

ask your questions of the registration dept before you buy it.
    U.S. customs (in your home state if above followed), (usually just an inspection )
    out of state inspection req's for your state.
    title req's for your state from canada .

Brought a Harley back from Canada about 10 yrs ago, easy peasy if it was made in america .

8. Wow, that is the Canadian sellers point to worry about (I didnt know that)
    however, that wouldn't have much to do with the US buyers dealings with the U.S. customs.

9. I would let the seller know about it so he doesn't end up in the same situation I did. It doesn't cost any money, just have to fill out a form at the border. Takes 5 minutes and then everyone is happy. I have had a couple run ins with customs and if they are not happy, NOBODY is happy.

10. I repatriated this one for my older brother who was living in Texas. He had bought the car here in Ontario from W Rowe and had it restored in Ottawa at Northern Perfomance. I did the engine here in my shop for him After he got it done he was transferred from Ottawa to Dallas and I took the car accross the border at Prescott for him. I told the US Customs officer that it was a US made car which it was.I remember he said, "Anyone can tell that because they certainly wouldnt make cars like that in Canada." I managed not to lose my cool at that but it was hard. He checked the number and the old Plate which was also Texas . He said it was no longer in the system. I asked him what to do he said "no problem" and took out a form from his desk and wrote a brief description of the car and its serial number and then wrote in big letters "US GOODS RETURNED" across it. It had not i think ever had Canadian regisrtation but my brother registered it and drove it for a couple of years in Dallas. How he registered it and what he had to do you could ask him. He sells on Ebay (non Car stuff) under St. Regis. I hope this helps.
    Don

Attached Files:

11. krooser

krooser

I used to transport cars in and out of Canada for resale or delivery to new owners. We always had to deal with a customs broker who filled out all the paperwork, collected any fees, etc. This was pre-NAFTA so I'm not sure how it works now but those brokers are still in biz so they are doing SOMETHING in those offices.

12. Krooser, I'm going to get a copy of Hemmings and go that route. Too much conflicting advice and bad consequences for me to wing it. Thanks all for your help here. You got me pointed in the right direction.

13. Weasel

Weasel

What he says - but if you do bring it in yourself you would be well advised to use a customs agent. Make sure you have it declared as 'goods of U.S. origin'. I used DellWill - cost me about $250. www.dellwill.com

14. Weasel, how would that work if I wanted to go up and inspect the car and haul it home? I pay the seller in Canada, then meet the Customs Agent at the border and he walks all the paperwork through for me? For $250, that seems like a very reasonable fee. Sorry, I don't have any experience at this and the process is not straightforward. Thanks, again, for the guidance.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Have a car carrier do the job and meet at a drop off point over the border.(or use a customs agent and save yourself A LOT of grief.)
    Since 911....it's way tighter and strict.
    You DO NOT want fuck with custom border guards.......

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

another tip... if you bring a vehicle across and the engine is out... is "parts"..... a lot cheeper.....

17. Weasel

Weasel

Call Dell Will and explain what you want to do - they'll walk you through the ropes. I shipped my car, so I just let them handle all the paperwork at the border, which the transport driver handed to me when he delivered the car. Took the Dell Will supplied paperwork to the local DMV along with the Canadian paperwork - title and registration, paid the state taxes and had everything done within an hour.

18. Weasel, Jeff, many thanks. This is the guidance I was looking for. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm much more confident about this transaction. Again, thanks.

19. 61bone

61bone

Having had some small experience in selling things in Canada, GET A CUSTOMS AGENT. I spent 3 days trying to get a Harris Blade into Canada. Customs agent had it cleared in less time than it took to write the duty check.

20. first get the vin# and run it through virginia dmv. if it come up blank find a broker at the border that way you will have official documents for the dmv. both countries get really shitty when your bringing anything over the border and they don't know it. before 9-11 nobody said shit and a broker would give go paperwork for $50 if their was a issue. brought many cars into the us from canada and it used to be simpler.

21. I'll bite!
    What is a Harris Blade?
    Bill.