Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

I just received an email from Jere Stahl, saying it was "Stahl - Moroso".
    Mark

2. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

GREAT JOB on the IN-BOMBER--as for Larson's on Saturday-- I am planning on taking the Anderson Olds 1969 W31 weather permitting. We are in the midst of a pretty good storm (IDA) and I have an open trailer;not a good combo. Until next time...Dave.

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Lookin' good!

Pete

4. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Keith Berg (50 Olds)

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Keith,

Welcome to the thread! I bet ya have a lot of stories to tell!

Best regards,

Pete

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I got these pix from another forum. This is the result of a highway towing accident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (photos courtesy of Lloyd Woodland)

Pete

7. bkhpah

bkhpah
    from Latrobe PA

WOW, that was a beautiful Olds..BKH

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great to have you 'check in' Keith ... it's really an honor!

[​IMG]

* From post #1656

9. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

More Keith Berg!

[​IMG]
    From post #1657

10. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>I'm sorry to relay to you via email that my dad passed away early this morning.

Information for services is pending and we will notify you by email when we have everything set.

We find comfort in the fact that he didn't suffer with pain for very long.

Debbie Ray for Roseann Allread and Sherie Ingalls

16915 Lanark Street
    Van Nuys, CA 91406

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Received from Joe's daughter
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Very sorry for your loss, our Junior Stock family is getting smaller.
    Thank you for all the memories.....

12. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks for sharing this sad news with us Gary.

[​IMG]

13. Stick Driver

Stick Driver

Bob: thanks for posting the above shots. The Olds in the picture appears to that of Buddy Gross of Buddy's Speed Shop in Woodbridge. The shot seems to be at Old Dominion in Manassas. After I moved from Pennsylvania and was not getting Troxell to do my engines, Danny Lattimore did the engines for me, Buddy, Bob Dodson and a host of others. Speaking of folks that should be on the list-how about Danny and some of the other guys from N.Va.-like Bob Cupp? Buddy is still around but I have lost track-- if Jack Redd sees this, give me phone # for Buddy. Also, if anybody can give me a hand on getting pictures of my car up here, I will put some of Mayo when he had my car and the later versions as a race car and now restored 70, W-30 --as well as some of the Vista Bruiser.

14. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I'm pretty sure Bill's pictures were taken at PID.
    Bob Rice

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Sad news indeed. My deepest sympathy and condolences to the entire Allread family.

Pete

16. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Im sorry to hear about Joe Allread, another HERO gone! my condolences to the Allread family and friends

17. 442Mike

442Mike

Here's my favorite Hurst shifter ad!!

[​IMG]

18. 442Mike

442Mike

Dean are you going to have the car at Frank Maratta's Auto Show in February?

19. 442Mike

442Mike

Hi Keith Berg, glad you've come aboard. Hope you can share some of your stocker stories with us as well as any pictures you might have. Here's one I've come across.

[​IMG]

20. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Tony -
    I meant that Dave Duell was out of Mansfield, not Vanke/ Vanke, indeed, was from Akron.

And also, to tech man -- Dave Duell's car was, inded a max wedge car(vanke motor)! Guess I had the 62 on my mind when i wrote the post!!
    Mea Culpa!!
    T.

21. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Tony - I meant that Dave Duell was from Mansfield, NOT Vanke! Arlen was, indeed, from Akron!!

Also -- to the Tech Man -- Dave's Drag-n-Wagon was, indeed a max wedge car (Vanke powered). Mea Culpa -- musta had the 62 on my mind when i made the post
    T.

22. 442mike- We won't have it ready in time for the Frank Maratta show, the York reunion in July is the date we are shooting for. Still have to get the 283 finished up and in the car, and rebuild the grenaded rear end. Interior is all ready to go in at the end. "Jack The Ripper" was invited to be in the Maratta show last year and this coming show but getting it fired up and transported to Hartford in February cold and show is tough!
    -Dean

23. JoeAllread'sDaughter

JoeAllread'sDaughter

Hello All,
    Joe Allread's daughter, Deb, here. We've read your kind words with pride. He loved racing and building race engines. Seems he'll be missed by many.

His memorial service will be held on Friday, November 20 at 11:00 am - Pickwick Gardens, 1001 West Riverside Drive, Burbank, CA.

24. Stick Driver

Stick Driver

Bob: I wll show this to a few folks around here, since it is a few years since I have been at Manassas, but the backdrop for the shot with the convert sure looks like Manassas to me, not PID which (as I recall) was a more hilly place. Moreover the hansome guy with the arms folded looks remarkably like me. I was only at PID once for the Points meet in 73-74??? It was the year Joe Umbra had his Mopar come loose from the winch and crash against the sides of the Oleynik car carrier box on the way out of the transporter. Horrifying to watch as it came crashing against alternating sides of the box back down the ramps.

On the other hand, Buddy did win it one year at PID so it is entirely possible- thanks for the possible clarification. I will send to Darwin to get his reaction.

P.s.I took my older son to the Doug Herbert BRAKES driving school for teenagers this weekend down in Charlotte. Fantastic-highly recommended. I will write up and post to all. If any of you are as worried as I am about kids doing what we got away with-send your teenagers to this-both sobering and practical.

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

God Bless Deb. Trust our prayers are with you and the family at this sad time.

26. 442Mike

442Mike

Tell me about it. Race cars don't like the cold and pulling one out into the cold and snow just doesn't make sense. I appreciate those who do however. Maybe I'll see you guys at York then!

27. 442Mike

442Mike

Paul Mayo's Vista wagon

Attached Files:

28. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Deb, as a teen in the late 60s early 70s, your dad was a hero to me. Any article written about him or project he was involved in was read over and over by me and to this day I considered him THE MAN in the day of the JR. STOCK and today as the builder of the Defrank hemis! the drag racing world has lost a legend. please accept my condolances

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Let's not forget that Joe built some mean-running Hemi engines for Butch Leal's Pro Stock Duster during the 1971-73 era! I'm not sure if he also built Butch's small block and Hemi engines for his Super Stock and Modified Production cars after Chrysler-backed racers pulled out of Pro Stock racing in mid-1973 ('cause of the unfair lbs./per cubic inch penalty 'awarded' Hemi engines).

Deb,

We share your loss and it's a real shame your dad wasn't able to make it to this Junior Stock thread and share some of his experiences and thoughts.

Best regards,

Pete

30. 65deluxe

65deluxe

And Bill Bagshaw back in the early days of Pro Stock