Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see here...The HAMB or Hot Rod Mags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Nov 12, 2009.

1. BBobb

BBobb

I guess i am just wondering if this has come about with any of you folks.Prior to joining the HAMB i had subscriptions to just about every hot rod mag out there and like an addiction i would stand in the local and read for the longest .It was so bad that the wife was always griping about me leaving them laying around the house.Now it seems i just fire up the keyboard and get just about all the info here.Just a thought has silly has it may be

2. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

I mostly look at the hamb. But I pickup hometown hotrods and trj and Vintage truck.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I stopped buying mags 2 years ago...except for Hop Up:( and Rodders Journal.

Now I just log on to get my fix...but I can't wait for Ryan's new mag in January.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

HAMB for sure because there is no need for magazines when all the good cars in the magazines are built and seen right here.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I get Hot Rod, but at $12 for 2 years... why not. I'll still buy a magazine depending on what's in it, but the HAMB and TBucketeers are where I get up to the minute information, tech and a good laugh or two. Can't beat the HAMB for all of those.

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

HAMB and a memory stick to save some cool pics on. Sometimes, I just hit "slideshow" and let her roll. It is cool to play if having some people over for a hangout. Still get Street Rodder since it was a 2 year subscription. The HAMB is like a sore Peter, you can't beat it!

7. Gator

Gator

Just Goodguys, which I really don't think of as a 'subscription' - it's included with the GG membership. Good mag though, Kirk does a jam-up job. I get NSRA's street scene too, but ugh - that's not worth mentioning.

Otherwise I might pick up a mag here or there if something in it's REALLY interesting but I usually balk at paying $6-$7 for mags that are mostly ads.

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

With the discovery of the Orbitron and the story being posted here,I let all my mags go away except for TRJ and then Hop Up.(RIP)
    Why pay corporations and wait 3 months+ when I can (eventually) get an Alliance Membership and have immediate "coverage?"
    Plus,you guys are great entertainment...

9. McFly

McFly

Pretty much every car I see here first...and than it eventually makes it in the mag. Print cannot keep up with the HAMB. This is why Ryan has become a force to be reckoned with in the industry.

10. bonesy

bonesy

Ditto on all fronts.

11. huh?

i have a complete trj near complete hot rod collection and many ,many other older little books
    i get 20 plus different car - zines a month/ year?

running from hemmings to kar culture .trucks, classics,antiquer's, musclecars .. . the classic car stuff is full of neat ol hotrodding type tricks ..

sometimes is hard to mention what cars/style i like in mixed company ... damn hotdodders , damn restorers,damn preservationists..damn kids , damn , grey beards damn, kulture freaks , damn street rodders .. sheese

i just like cars/ trucks .. and can appreciate it all .. without being to bias or snobby.. i worked in the auto parts industry and i have helped and worked on all types- stock to race to restorer to hot rods ....

a closed mind leads to stupidity!

most the "old geezers "want someone to preserve their work and the" kids "want to cut em up .. i am right in there either way..

i have a spread sheet to know whats gonna be runnin out and a id number from sub cards for the best deals.. for phone ordering
    i sign up at major events and save 75%or more ..
    i pick up ones i can't get .. hr deluxe and some other off the wall stuff

and i buy other books too

and i still am on here(HAMB only) way too much just lookin
    its hard to save all the good stuff from here tho..(wish i could tho)

i don't think that all of youse guys would do what i do for mags a year .. but any little bit of info just helps me know when i am at the swaps and scrounging parts..

guess that lookin at pitchers and reading about how what was found and what fits what .. seem like the right thing to do

some say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ..i say now thats thinking with yer dipstick!

yes its a problem ....but i have perfect sized lateral files with plenty of room to go and i don't keep em all..

oh ya i get mail every day .. seem my freinds the publishers think i may need more... and the mail delivery people all think its great to park by our big mail box and take a break...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  12. ratster

ratster

no more mags for me either. viva la hamb

13. tradrod

tradrod

H.A.M.B. and TRJ, that's it for me. Why spend time looking through a whole mag just to find one or two things that are traditional? (I know the ads are the cash cow for the mags, but come on!)

TR

14. Seriously....Why spend the money on paper when you can get it all on the HAMB? Unintended consequences, but everyone else calls it progress. You can't have it both ways, and the guys who "print" are fully aware of the trend......it's just another :uncomfortable truth" in our world....Anybody want to buy some cheap Back-Issues from me????? :) Centurion9

15. madpole

madpole

the only good part about magazines is you can take them with you for down time....maybe its about time to spring for a laptop so i can keep the HAMB with me

16. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I'm down to only a couple of mags now,only because I refuse to take my computer
    into the crapper with me!
    No question about the HAMB being THE top resource for hot rod info and fun.
    Most of the mags are so lame now days. Some with pages wasted on sophmoric
    cartoon strips instead of cars.

17. the HAMB is about it for me , besides theres not much mail where i am most of the time..

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BBob. Absolutely true. No more mags. It got to the point that I was happy if I learned one thing, or saw one car I really liked from each issue. Most of the tech-articles left a lot to be desired..."How to chop a top"...yeah, right. The main problem with the mags, is that they need to sell them, so they promise a lot, but deliver little. I even read something one time written by a jounalist of one of the mags...he stated that basically, the intention of the magazine was to excite people about hot rods. They do that O.K., but not much more. They can't help it. They're limited for a number of reasons...and it mostly has to do with money...there's not enough of it to be able to publish enough. They wouldn't be able to make any money doing it. That's the beauty of the H.A.M.B. Nobody is really trying to sell anything, and by the mere nature of the medium (the internet) much much much more information is available...for free. The only stipulation is that we all give as well as take, and conduct ourselves in a "somewhat" acceptable manner...and that's a learning experience in itself. We're all learning from each other. Sure, there's some B.S., and a few super-critical trouble-makers, and personally, it sometimes bums me out, (though I've been guilty of it myself, once or twice) but by and large, the good-humor, comradery, wealth of information, and pleasure taken from helping someone makes for a gratifying experience that a magazine just can't provide. I felt somewhat alone in my passion for the hobby, until coming here. I consider it a god-send that I found a place that brings together people from all over the world that share my attraction to the type of hot rods that really turn my crank...traditional cars as they used to be in days-gone-by...not something with honey-comb wheels and "tear pattern" paint. I'm 52 years old, and was lucky enough to witness the very tail-end of the true era of hotrodding...it was quickly replaced by the muscle-car era. But the image of those cars from my very early youth, have stuck with me all these years. So yes, over the years, the magazines served their purpose for me as well as they could, but just can't compare with what I get here. My wife, Sandy often would bring home a magazine or two for me...she knows what I like. Shortly before discovering this site, I told her to start being real picky about the mags she purchased...she understood, and complied. But after joining you guys, I clearly remember telling her to just stop..."Don't waste your money." I let my subscriptions run out. I've owned and modified quite a few old cars, but I swear...the H.A.M.B. is providing the information and the inspiration that's gonna help me to fullfill my life-long desire to actually build a finished hot rod from a pile of parts! Ryan really started something here. :) - Rick

19. fww32

fww32

Since I don't buy as many magazines I joined the alliance to give back some of money I don't spend on mags although I would not want to see mags go under do to the computer.

20. HotRod33

HotRod33

I don't get any magazines anymore.... I have way to many already. I can checkout anything I want on the HAMB before it gets in most of the mags anyway.........

21. Cruiser

Cruiser

I'm down to two magazines now Goodguys it comes with the membership and Kustoms Illustrated a very cool small book with great kustoms and quality printing. I enjoy the HAMB very much and it's the best forum out there for traditional hot rods and Kustoms.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  22. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Being in the print industry... part of this thread saddens me... but I guess it is the writing on the wall.

Anyway, I know I am in the minority, but I would much rather look at one professionaly photographed feature than I would 1,000,000 crappy low res terribly lit pictures on the internet. There is something about holding a 12" x 24" or whatever glossy double page spread in your hands and admiring all of the little details that you may or may not see on the internet.

All in all, I have shaved my subscriptions down to TRJ, Hot Rod (got a screaming deal) Rod and Custom and some O/T magazines.

The HAMB is exceptional for up to the minute news but it still is an honor to see the hard work done here and then see the awesome pictures of the final product in full color that I can hold in my hands.

23. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

I get Hot rod and Car craft I have been getting those mags from the 80s.I'm really glad I came across Hamb.I love the hot rodding era and The history and pics that are in this board. Its quickly become one of my favorite boards to read and learn from

24. Deadbird

Deadbird

TRJ I'll keep for sure. Got a nearly free deal on Street Rodder (why not?) and R&C, but I doubt I'll renew those. Greasy Kulture for bikes.

Nothin' holds a candle to the HAMB.

25. A little different for us down under.
    I buy Local NZ Hot Rod mags as they supply much more than just pictures.
    Stuff that is not on the HAMB.
    The HAMB is fine for those living in the States as a main source.
    But in NZ the magazines are iconic and a must have.
    Look at the response from the recent 500th edition of "New Zealand Hot Rod" mag.
    http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4562

26. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I still get TRJ, Street Rodder, Rod & Custom, Hemmings Sorts & Exotic Cars, and Hemmings Classic Cars. Even though I have piles of mags dating back to the fifties, I still find useful and interesting stuff in all the mags mentioned. I can't help it, I'm addicted.
    But for me, the HAMB is more entertaining and informative than all of the magazines combined. :)

27. Kerry67

Kerry67

I am still into mags. But, the mags I buy are the one's that everyone hates on the HAMB, but I enjoy them. Can't take the HAMB to the "office" when you are doing your business.

28. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Yes i spend alot of time on the H.A.M.B but i still buy 2/3 mags a month:)
    Next thing you know they will all go under- mags- that is.Then the bitching will start that theres no mags around:)

29. I Drag

I Drag

HAMB, HR Deluxe, and Hot Rod, in that order.

R & C occasionally.

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

HAve lots of OLD magazines and books,,Better than online I feel as its kinda proven stuff,,( if that makes sense ) .

The internet is far to jammed up with misinformation,,and it spreads quickly,also you see alot of old magazine articles referenced and post here so.

Then again,,have'nt really bought a Hot rod magazine of any type since the 80's,,playing with the CARS was more fun that reading about it :D

also prefer a book or magazine,,something I can hold in my hand or take outside,,over a computer screen..aand books are far easier for looking up info than computers

The HAMB is very good for what it is,,but it should not be the only tool used for the hobby