Register now to get rid of these ads!

***Munster's 51' Chevy coupe Chop***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey JJ, Munster is running 560 - 15 all around. But he mentionned going bigger in the future!! He hasn't done anything to the car since the trade....except the chop!! He was seriously thinking about selling it before the chop....... Damn it, i should have kept quiet and buy it!!:D

But things are gonna change now, he's got a list of things to do

Tail lights, paint, molding the splash pan front and back, Modify the skirts, Different dash, He already got the front and back seat upholstered, Tuck in the front bumper and lower it too, etc..... I'm gonna help him along the way, so is Chris Casny!!

2. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

again, this thread is awesome and very inspiring. i would also like to note that, never having met ian, he seems like a real standup guy, taking the time to stop and reply to almost every post. i like knowing that there are fellas on the HAMB like this who will take the time to help out anyone who need advice or help. nice job ian... is there some kind of HAMB award we could nominate you for? regards
    jim

3. Man I have been following this thread and the build thread on your personal ride. I have to say man you have got some great skills. Keep it up! You inspire me to get out there and learn and try things on my own! A+ in my book.

4. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Man these are some kind words, thank you !!!:) I LOVE IT when people post a ton o' pics, Gambino , Rusk,Bass,etc...., so i try to do the same, I know some people appreciate it!! I sure learned a lot from string at pics for hours, for example this chop is 100% inspired by BLUE COLLAR GUY, Without his pics my chop wouldn't look like this, No way!!:)

I'm glad i can inspire you brotha!!:)

Here's some more pics!!!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

somebody stopped by to visit!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Beautiful lchop Ian...great flow and nice balance to the body...nice amount...I really like it.

Rob

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Man!!:)

7. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

I did HAHA. Just waiting for them to send them to me. I didnt have any more room in my suitcase to bring on the plane!

8. jasone

jasone

Ian, did you come up with a soultion to the rear window driprail on the driver's side?

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Yes i did!! I was able to cut it where the weld was pull it out and reweld it!! It came out almost where it should be!!! Lead is gonna fix that!!! I am gonna lead the areas that need it! I got a deluxe kit from eastwood!! Munster got it for me!! Class act!!

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Whats up Ian?

I don't want to take anything away from Munster's ride but any updated pictures on the purple ride?

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Check out the" update pics of ian's chevy" FINKD started. i think it's the last couple pages

12. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Oh Baby! Got a number for Tom Heath? Your ride has been blessed by some true talent.

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

You bet!! Jeff and Tom......'nuff said!!:)

Tom Heath 580 237 6188

he's in my friends on here too!!

14. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thank you Brotha! I can't wait to see it in person. Just in case no one told ya before thats a damn good lookin chop. Have a great weekend.

15. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Meeeeee too!!:D

Thanx brotha!!!!!

Have a good one bro!!

Ian

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris and Munster bring Coronas and...........!!!...:)...sounds like my kind o' people. I like your friends already. BTW...Ian,you've done it again! Congratulations. The best to you and yours, from Michigan. - Rick

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHAHA!! I love these fuckers, always happy when they stop by......With Coronas!!:D

Thanx so much Rick!!:)

18. Ian, first up, the chop looks GREAT. The overall effect is real nice.

Now, I admit to skipping over most of the text, but it looks like you welded the C pillar right on top of the beltline....? If so, how'd you go knocking the welds down evenly?

You need a nicer bucket though.....

19. jdk

jdk
    from Nebraska

I know you've heard it over and over again, but WOW what an awsome chop, love the lines and attention to detail you are an artist:cool:

20. MERRELL

MERRELL

amazing work!....

21. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

LOL!! Thanx a lot! Yeah the sail panel is welded right at the upper section of the beltline, not overlapped either.

Here's how i did it, and i hope it makes sense

1. i leave about 1/2 " of metal that i leave above the beltline while i test fit the panel with clamps, once i have the fit perfect everywhere but the beltline area, i then slowly trimmed the contour of the BL with an electric die grinder with a 1/32 cutting wheel ( very thin) until i see the top of the BL.

2. I weld the contour of the BL to the sail panel, very slowly. for good results you have to have a perfect fit, if not you start blowing right through and you end up with having to fill these holes adding more heat and then you're in trouble!:mad:

3. to clean up the welded contour i use an electric long shaft die grinder from HF with a 1/8" grinding wheel. I always knock down any of my welds with that first then use 36g grinder then 36g rolocs discs. I have a shitty compressor so i use a lot of powered tools from HF. I can't afford the fancy tools yet!!:( Its ok though!!:)

4. if it looks good, walk away...... then you're allowed a CORONA!!!

Thanx a lot man!!:)

22. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Started on the garnish yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Ian - Very VERY impressive work! Perfect proportions and excellent craftsmanship! I am in awe.

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Naihead!!!:)

25. SICBOY

SICBOY

man that came out really nice, the chop flows really good:cool:

26. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx SICBOY!!

27. 30-years ago i helped chop a 50 merc forddor when we got to the many garnish mldngs. we just matched them- side to side.........
    ooops we were off a half inch in height from one side to the other ... same ruler different guys using it >>hahahah

the secret is finally out....dunno where the car is today
    good luck

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHAHA!!! Good one man!!!

29. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice, I think the proportions are just right as well.
    Excellent thread to motivate those out there to start/finish the chop on their chevs (like me).

Muzz

30. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Ian, The chop on the garnish moldings looks great. Awesome to see you put an equal amount of effort on the smaller details too! Ya got me wanting to buy a 49 thru 52 Chevy just to have you chop it! Again, killer work!