Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Dodge 1/2 Ton Lighting Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dobe24, Nov 12, 2009.

1. dobe24

dobe24
    from ontario

Hi
    I have a 1949 dodge fargo 1/2 ton. When I turn the headlight switch to the first position the frt park lights work, when I turn to the second position the headlights work but the park lights go out. Is this normal?

The rear running light wire powers up in both positions which seems right and I would think the frt park lights would do the same.

The Instrument panel wire on the headlight switch grounds itself in both positions, and the instrument panel switch on the dash doesn't turn off.

This truck is currently a 12V chassis grd system.

Another question I have is do most people rig up a frt and rear turn signal system? (this truck only has a tail/brake light on the left rear)
    If so some description of components and location would be great.

Thanks TJ

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

First off, hi, welcome to the HAMB. Next, go do an intro, it will make your life here easier.
    If that 49 has a 12 volt negitive ground system, it has been changed from original. Mopar used 6 volt until the mid 50s. Should probably have come with 2 tail lights, but with a Fargo, who knows for sure, stateside trucks since the 30s have had 2 tail lights.

It is normal for the front parking lights to go out when the light switch is pulled all the way out. The parking lights staying on with the headlights started in the late 60s or early 70s. If you plan on driving your truck, I would put the turn signal system on your truck, its scary enough driving these old rides and sharing the road with the "normal" noncar people type drivers out there without having things like modern lighting systems. There is an aftermarket kit available that was made to upgrade the older non-signal systen cars & trucks. Gene

3. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I used to have a 1950 B2B. I don't remember exactly how the lights worked.
    As far as turn signals went mine had what was probably a dealership add-on kit. This consisted of a pair of large 4" diameter or so housings mounted on top of the front fenders and two seperate 4" diameter housings mounted on the sides near the top of the box.

I ended up not liking the looks of the front signals (thought they stuck up too much) and I ended up re-routing the turn signal wires to the front marker lights. I then changed the bulbs that were in there to amber ones to function as my turn signals and removed the housings from the tops of the fenders. I thought it was a much cleaner look.

Jay

4. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

That is how they were wired till 62 or so. If you want them on with both, pull power from the switch terminal for the tail lights, as they are on with park lamps and or headlamps.