Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cabover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHORTDOG, Nov 10, 2009.

1. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

I want to know what's involved in converting a COE to a street cruiser like the one shown in the pic? :confused: What needs to be done and how hard is it to pull off?

or better yet, Does anybody know who owns this truck and do you know how i can get a hold of the guy??

Attached Files:

2. fiddy9apache

fiddy9apache
    from texas

ive always wanted a COE with a slide out wrecker bed and modern drivetrain to haul my toys around on.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Cut, weld, bang, grind, sand, paint

kardude67 likes this.
  4. A lot of the COE`s I`ve seen are sitting on mid-80`s Chevy 1 ton chassis.

5. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

I was thinking of going mid 80's but i am not sure about going 1 ton or not. Would be good if i was gonna run a flat bed or duallies but i want to slam it and run a regular bed on it like the one in the pic...The only thing that will go in the bed is an Ice Chest! :D

6. You might look for an old cube van/bread truck, such as a GM P-30, since the steering column is in nearly the perfect location for when you mount the cab to the chassis. They are cheap as dirt, and available nearly anywhere you might look!

7. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Have you seen the COE thread?
    That'll keep you bust for a day or two.

8. A COE is basically the same cab positioned a little differently, find a frame you like, make mounts and bolt it on. That said I'd suggest avoiding say, an S10 on this one.

9. fat57

fat57

No problems just make a box tube frame to mount the cab over a S10 or C10 frame the small pickup in my photo section is on a C10 frame 350/350 and home made box great little truck
    Mark www.fat57custom.com

10. wizard47

wizard47

1973- 1989 chevy truck frame works best for the 48-53 chevy coe. 1/2 ton 3/4 or 1 ton. doesnt matter. cut off the factory body mounts and set coe cab on frame. line up front fender openings on front wheel and start making new body mounts where needed. but those years are the best chassis for a conversion. i have everything if your looking to start a project too. but that should get you started for sure.

11. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

If you use a 80's gm 1 ton dually chassis, steering box out of a 80's 1/2 or 3/4 ton gmc or chevy van will get your steering column geometry right.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A buddy of mine has a 56 Ford cabover mounted on a 3/4 ton Dodge van chassis. The short nose van chassis might require less steering and suspension relocating than a conventional P/U chassis. Get out your tape measure.

13. metalman

metalman

Do you allready have a COE to start with? A local builder has one like the one in your pic for sale, already set up on a late GM chassis, I believe it runs and drives. Ready for paint, upholstery, ect. I think it could be bought right and the guy is a good builder so it sould be done right. PM me if your interested, I'll send you the info.

14. GaryN

GaryN

I built a '46 Chev COE a few years ago. '75 Chev 1 ton chassis, stretched 6', 40" Freightliner bunk, 18' drive on deck, 175 HP Isuzu turbo diesel, 5 speed main and 2 spd. aux.
    I found that unless your going to use it for a business a truck this size is just not practical. Too much gov't. red tape to keep it legal, at least here in Ontario. If I did it again it would be a pickup style so it could be licenced for personal use only and not commercial.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  15. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

That is a sharp car hauler :D

16. oldy57

oldy57

I have a few questions about the 48-54 COE Chevy cabs. Are they the same doors as a 1/2 ton cab. Also is the cab the same width and height. The COE looks taller but that could be because of the step section under the doors.
    Could you cut the back of a panel truck and mount it to the back of a COE. You could have a COE panel, short box or long box panel. I have not seen a COE in person so I have no idea of size. Can anyone do a Photoshop of this.

17. GaryN

GaryN

I've seen a panel body grafted to a COE cowl. The COE doors are unique to the COE due to the cut out in the lower front corner for fender clearance. Yes the cabs of the 48-54 AD trucks are the same physical size but again the COE doors and rockers are different due to the fender location. Not sure of the model numbers but some of the bigger ones do have wider fenders.

18. GaryN

GaryN

19. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

You forgot SPEND

20. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter

I'm not sure how to get hold of this guy but you may try the shop name and phone number on the door. Otherwise try Bill at Bill's Truck Shop in Courtice, Ontario, Canada as it's posted as a customers ride in his web site gallery.
    http://www.billstruckshop.com/customers_gallery_47-55.htm

[​IMG]

21. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Short, find a class A motorhome..controls already up front...I have an 84 30' on gm chassis...454/t400, dual rear wheels..just a tick under 50k miles.
    perfect for a cabover!
    Dave

22. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Short, find a class A motorhome..controls already up front...I have an 84 30' on gm chassis...454/t400, dual rear wheels..just a tick under 50k miles.
    perfect for a cabover!
    Dave

23. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Motor home and van chassis seem to be the bast as far as placement of the front suspension.

Check out the newest issue of classic trucks (yellow C10 on cover), there is a blue one in there.