Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel pump suggestions SBC 3x2 Rochesters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im looking for suggestions for the fuel pump for my A build.

I am running 3 Rochester 2G's on a mild SBC 350

should i stay with the stock mechanical pump ?
    aftermarket mechanical?
    electric?

if you are running a set up like mine what are you running?

2. Mine has stock mech pump,283 w/3 deuces. Progressive linkage. Runs on the middle one up to half throttle,then all three.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks Bob..i have mine set up with a progressive linkage also..are you running a regulator? or is direct feed from your mechanical pump good enough?

4. R Pope

R Pope

Three 2's don't use any more fuel than a single four barrel.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I figured that..was just getting a feel for feeding it.
    and what others were doing.
    its an all new build so i was weighing my options.

would you run a regulator off a stock pump?...did the original 3x2 set ups have a regulator?

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

yes, the guys i know run a regulator

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

but was there a regulator used on the original Tri-power carb set ups of the 60's???

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

You DO NOT need a pressure regulator if you run the original AC or Carter fuel pump. They didn't do it from the factory when running a single 2 barrel 2G, eh? And GM used the same pump fo a tri power. Only if you run a Hi-Performance high pressure aftermarket or an electric pump will you need one, PERIOD. Sorry Skunx, but I know a lot of folks running tri power with 2Gs and none, that's 0, nada, run regulators. A regulator is only needed for a Stromberg 48, 97, 81, WW, Holley 94, 59, 2100, 2110, and maybe some Carter's but I don't fool with them so I won't comment.

9. aww dickster27 types faster than me

66 pontiac 389 tri power, rochester carbs, center w/ choke & idle jets, outer dumps, progressive mechanical linkage.
    Mechanical fuel pump with no regulator. No problems and plenty of fuel.
    regulator would not hurt.
    you would need one only if your fuel pump puts out higher pressure than the seats were designed to handle

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thanks for chiming in Dickster..

Im thinking i have this problem with my other 3x2 set up on my 53 chevy..
    it ran better before i put a Reg and guage..but thats another story..(engine has other problems)

I would probably just run a stock or stock pressure SBC pump

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

The Dickster has spoken and I don't run a regulator either. Matter of fact I don't run a regulator with my 3 Strombergs and run a stock mechanical fuel pump.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks Guys..
    I figured i wouldnt have to run one, but ive heard so much conflicting information i wasnt sure.

I didnt think it was part of my issues on my other project, but now looking back,,it seems some of my problems came about after i put the regulator on.

I just didnt want to make that mistake on my A, and will be pulling the Reg. off my 53 Chevy too

13. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I run a stock mechanical fuel pump on my 350 sbc with a tri power. Stock pump, no regulator runs great. no problems.

14. How much pressure is optimal. Because of my saddle-type mount I am going to run an electric pump for 3 2G's. The one I picked up is 5-9 pounds. Should I regulate, and to what pressure?

Thankee,Miker

I just found 4-1/2 psi in another thread. Sound kosher? Engine is a stock (for now) 283.

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thanks for asking this question Vonn you saved me from asking it later .

16. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

A regulator will hide a problem it wont cure a problem. If your carbs are running over you have to much fuel pressure for your needle and seat. You need to lower the pump preasure but not with a regulator. Change the pump. Or try a diffrent type needle and seat. Never try to mask a problem, cure the problem. thanks jim

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010