Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Restored Supermodified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roostasix, Oct 16, 2008.

1. miller91

miller91

One of our New England classics

2. roostasix

roostasix

Miller, I love the tail and sidepods on that 0 car! Did you restore it? I would love to see it in person.

Brian, I'm so glad they're restoring the 94. Who has it? I have heard that it's in Indiana...

3. Kyle,

It is in the St Louis area, and about to go to Charlotte. Some ARCA veteran down there used to watch them run at Tulsa, he managed to buy the car even though several others were trying. His first name is Perry, no idea of his last name.

4. Hey, check his driving out! He was the MAN! There is some footage of him racing this car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXgum6eig1s

5. M.D.

M.D.

My very first car was a super modified. I was a freshman in high school. 1965. I paid $100 bucks for a beat up super mod with no engine or trans that sat, much to the chagrin of everyone, in the parking lot of the apartment complex we lived in on at Seventh Street and Thomas across from the Phoenix Country Club. In fact they were called the Country Club Apartments. In my adolescent car enthusiasm I envisioned turning it into a street car for my first driver! Sadly, my parents and the apartment complex owners forced me to get rid of it. I sold it for $200. Rewind 4 or 5 years to Albuquerque when a red headed artist friend of my parents (female) used to take my younger brother and I out to Albq Speedway in her MG TC to watch the the likes of the Unsers and Johnny Caples race super modifieds in the dirt at the base of the Monzano Mountains. The first race I ever saw was a super mod race with her. Johnny Caples, who later went on to be a Crew Chief at Indy, was more popular locally than the Unsers. I also remember that the first model that I hacked, along with my best friend who also built one, was an AMT Model T that I built a super mod from. We were only in the fourth or fifth grade, but we fabbed all kinds of parts, cut the bodies with jewler's saws and modified them to look like what we had seen at Albq Speedway, and entered them in a model contest at a local hobby shop on Central Avenue. He took first and I second…his was way more accurate and perfect than mine…much better skills…he later made his living as an artist…but it just goes to show what an influence these cars had on budding gearheads. I have a picture of the two of us with our models somewhere, and I think I have one of the real car, and as soon as I can scan them I will post. Thanks for a great thread!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  6. threeacesbuffalo

threeacesbuffalo
    from clovis,ca.

I love the old style supermodifieds and old bodyed modifieds! Keep this type of photos comming.

7. jokerjason

jokerjason

Killer man!!!! I have a good friend out here in Nor cal that has a couple he's re-doing. Here are a few pictures of one that use to run at Ukiah and Lakeport cal. Mike Rose owns it now and his brother Rick has some old San Jose speddway cars he's restoring. We got the car running and driving and it has been left alone ever since, He still starts it up once in a while. JOKER JASON.

Attached Files:

8. Who is restoring Hamptons car ?? >>>>.

9. Best I can tell, it is going to the Charlotte area and the guys last name is Perry. That's all I know.

10. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

That is very cool.

11. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

Here are a couple more of old Bobs car the #00 at Ephrata Wa this summer as well as
    a cpouple of other neat cars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  12. Is that chevy 6 cylinder?

13. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

Yes chevy six here are a couple more neat cars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  14. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

And a couple more for ya

Attached Files:

15. Pretty cool stuff up there.

16. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

Ya I love this stuff Supers are what I grew up on here is a shot of Pat Rose
    circa 77 or 78 at the old sanjose speedway in California. where I grew up.
    before it closed down and went to dirt at the fairgrounds

Attached Files:

17. designs that work

designs that work

Here is a unknown Northern Calif car. Car is about 90 % done.

18. May have posted this one before

Jim Harkness ride.

[​IMG]

19. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

These cars are a thing of beauty I love it post more pics. Is there anybody on
    the HAMB that raced these in the seventys or eighties in Nor Cal

20. Abomb

Abomb

Not all Supermods, but here's a few shots from my hometown carshow last summer.

Unfortunatley, I didn't take my camera to the track that night.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. skull

skull

that looks like my cousin's. he raced from 1975 to 1981 with a car built in 1969.
    in 1982 the tracks around here changed the rules and no longer allowed the old style of what we call modifieds at the dirt track we raced at. steve was the second owner.
    so, he goes home and makes it a street legal race car. titled as a home built hot rod.
    pics of how it looked when he started and how it looks now. steve passed away in 1986 and the current owner uses it to push start the sprints at the races all over the pacific northwest.
    this winter he is going to update a few things, some parts are just so worn out it drives bad, and the new color will be hugger orange as that was the oringal color when steve first raced it.

later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  22. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Yes, a pretty worked over 250" Chev. This is the only eng pictures I can find. Orig it was small block powered but had also run as a 6 cyl. I went with a 6 on the restoration as I'm kind of a 6 cyl guy and had access to a good one. Car was built as an upright winged asphalt supermodified. Driven in the seventies by Tom Naylor out of Boise.

Attached Files: