Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just picked UP 1932 REO Flying Cloud info needed, New Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclebilly, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

I'm picking up a 1932 REO Flying cloud S2 4 door Sedan next week and im wondering if anyone out there has any info on these?? seams like theres not to much info on the net.. Im also interested in knowing what the production numbers where?? Im going to be getting this thing cleaned up and on the road, then for sale.. thanks

Heres the car in question

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Hey Bobby, "The Highlander" here on the HAMB knows quite a bit about REO cars, he recently restored a very nice REO Royale. Drop him a PM, he's in the Detroit area.

3. AZ29

AZ29
    from Arizona

Hi Cyclebilly, I found some REO information in my old Encyclopedia of American Cars. Most of the REOs were classified by wheelbase, 115 inch on up. I see a reference to the "S-2" Flying Cloud Six, but it is shown as a 1933 model. Anyhow the total production in the six body styles listed was 2,099.

4. 36C8

36C8

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

This is out of a book I have, with info on reos. Reos never built more than 5000 cars a year after 1931. In 1932 a 152 inch wheel base model was added to the royal family and the car acquired enormous seven passenger and limousine bodies. The b85 coupe, victoria, and 5 passenger sedan sold for $2445 each. The long wheel base b52s listed at
    $3695-$3895, they had big nine main bearing straight eights. There was a 1932 mid year change coming for reo. and a line of cheaper model 6-s cars were offered in the price range of $1000-$1200 they had a 230 cubic inch six rated at 80 bhp with a 117 inch wheel base. There were nine standard and deluxe closed and open body styles offered for the 6-s line. There were two other models listed the royale and the royale custom. which shared the 358 cid engine, royales used the 131 inch wheelbase and the royal custom used the 135-and 152 inch wheelbase. In 1933 there were only 3623 reos registered total. Hope this is what you were looking for ...John

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

NICE car! I'm not an expert on REOs, but I do know RE Olds was pretty much a perfectionist, ALWAYS out to show up the upstarts who ousted him from the make HE had started. So REOs always were solidly built, durable cars in this era AND with high nickel content in the engine blocks. The Royalle was styled by the master, Amos Northrup. And, from the lines of your Flying Cloud, looks like there may have been a Northrup spill-over effect! Again, NICE speciment of a rare automobile (fast in its time, too!).

7. Styling on these cars is VERY HANDSOME. Congratulations!

8. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

Thanks alot everyone for all the info.. I'll post pics when i pick it up..

9. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

Well i just drug the car home monday night... man this thing is alot nicer then i thought it would be.. Originally i was told it only sat for 2 years, but it actually has been sitting for the last 10-15 years.. it took a little work to get it rolling, the brakes were a little locked up, i adjusted them in and gave them a little tap and they popped free.. Yesterday we polished the chrome and stainless and cleaned up the paint, man does it Shine!!

I dropped a battery in it and it cranks over nice. I drained the gas tank and am going to dump fresh gas into it today and hopefully it will fire..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the Orginal interior from 32.. other then a rip on the corner of the front seat the rest is awesome!! look at them window shades!!! and that headliner is perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at that Wood!! it is absolutly perfect!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  10. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Great find, and a beautiful car

11. FABULOUS!! love the mouse fuzz

12. Onelow34

Onelow34

Great find, great styling, beautiful curves on the front end. Pretty car!

13. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

man what a nice car,,, kind of takes u back a bit.... super good find...

14. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very nice find! Congrats!:D

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Holy mackerel, CycleBilly! Did the REO clean up NICELY!!! Sweet.

16. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Ive got an extra head light bucket if you want it!

17. MMM RED

MMM RED

You got a Butt shot??
    ..Jay

18. http://www.reoclub.org/

1932 REO Flying Cloud

[​IMG]
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>F.decorate(_ge('photo_notes'), F._photo_notes).notes_go_go_go(3989315666, 'http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3989315666_6d481c8df9_t.jpg', '3.1444');</SCRIPT><FORM style="VISIBILITY: hidden" id=fave_form method=post> </FORM><!-- PHOTO CONTENT: DESCRIPTION, NOTES, COMMENTS -->
    Catoctin Mt. Street Rods 30th Annual Halloween Rod Run/Car Show, Elks Lodge, Frederick, MD, October 4, 2009.

19. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

This is the only one i have right now..

[​IMG]

20. B Blue

B Blue

Beauty. Now we know why they are called "trunks".

Bill

21. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Killer looking car for that Sunday cruise with the family - I would have a hard time sending that one down the road. Nice find!

22. that is sweet.. if you're going to re-sell it i'd contact some auto museums or something.. or at least sit on it until the economy picks up so you'll get what that thing is probably worth...

23. I love that car. Very nice to see...

24. MMM RED

MMM RED

Nice car..A nice car has to have a nice Butt..Nice car.
    ...Jay

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That's some cool lace on the back seat. You going to keep it? :rolleyes:

26. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

Well, i changed all the fluids and fired it up today. It runs very well. I pulled the wheels and drums off and everything looks nice.. Im going to rebuild the master cylinder tomorrow if i can hunt down a kit that will work and hopefully drive down the street.

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Check for real heavy violin cases in that external trunk. Looks like a cast member from the Untouchables. There is a fellow around here that has an original 33 Flying Cloud. Rasom E Olds, was the founder later bought by GM became Oldsmobile, built lots more trucks (Speedwagons) than cars. Aroud here the Railway Express Agency (delivered rail freight fro stations to cusptomers like an early UPS) uses COE streamlined REO trucks to do their deliveries.Built a bunch of inter city Buses also. Nice looking car. Enjoy.

28. kapnkrunch

kapnkrunch
    from WA

never heard of a reo before. nice score

29. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

IT runs and drives now.. I had to rebuild all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder, they were loaded up with crap from sitting. Its amazing how smooth and nice the thing drives. compairing it to other 30's cars i've driven, its by far the nicest,.

30. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

beautiful stocker man. Absoulutly gorgeous!