Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scenes from an old school junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTOnly70, Nov 10, 2009.

1. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

Thought you might be interested in some photos of a local (N. Texas) junkyard. By far the most disorganized mess of a yard I've ever seen, but lots of interesting things. Hundreds of cars, mostly pre-1980.

Attached Files:

2. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

More...

Attached Files:

3. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

A few more...

Attached Files:

4. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Cool...I'm diggin' the A-100 pickup...

5. Wow, there's a ton of good stuff in there. As usual a long way from me. Nice pics.

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Those are the best kind of junk yards. Even just walking around looking is a blast. I went to my local Pick A Part (called Pick The Part) and did not find anything older than the 80's.
    Don't know why I would expect old stuff at that type of yard but I needed a column from a 70's Chev. and thought I would find one. No luck.

7. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Looks like some nice pieces...

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

Still lots of good parts there. If, the owner dies, I hate to be the one to clean the place up and put it in order. :p

CRUISER :cool:

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

man, there's still alot of good shit i that yard. hope it all can be saved someday.

10. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Yep, some good iron still there... So where's it at man! :cool:

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Neat, i know where lots of old stashes / wrecking yards are in North Texas ,but that one doesnt look familuar to me.I hope that stuff gets saved and not crushed.There used to be a great one on hwy 380 in a town called Floyed (near Greenville),but the old man that owned it died in the early 90's and it all got mashed.There was tons of good stuff ,including a real straight and complete 58 Plymouth 2 door hardtop that got crushed...

12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The true junkyard is an "endangered species" and ought to be put on the endangered species list. Soon there won't be any left at all, only pictures.

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

the red GTO look like its in pretty good shape??

14. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Just curious, what kind of vermin do you find in a yard like in that area? Those southern yards always look good to us northerners until we start thinking about the snakes, spiders, scorpions and all the other little nasties. What do you guys do to prepare for all of them when scrounging around these old yards down there? What do you wear, high boots, heavy gloves? You bang on the cars before moving something or going inside?

15. OK. Where is this place ? I gots to know.

16. Tony

Tony

Cool pics, thanks for sharing..
    Do you have any idea what the hell happened to that GTO? That thing's a mess! Umm, the blue one :D

17. Fresh

Fresh

I love seeing those junk yards. We have a good one here in Arkansas. It's about 50 miles north of Little Rock.

18. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Damn,that's awesome....

and not a cavalier to be seen.

19. hvychvy

hvychvy

Cool,thanks for the pics!!

20. I don't know about others,but I never give snakes a second thought when scrounging junk yards.If you are making any noise going through stuff they are usually trying to exit.I see black widows everywhere but never have been bitten.I think these critters are more scared of us than we are of them.I have more problems with briars and poison ivy than with insects and snakes.

21. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

A Stude humping a Corvair is organized??

22. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Nevermind,I misread....d`oh

23. Big Dad

Big Dad

I know where it is , Buddy scares me ..

24. Big Dad

Big Dad

Yes, there are 100's of Snakes and huge spiders , good news is that Scorpion stings only kill 4 out of 10 ..very painful though, you would have to spend a couple weeks in hosptial, be careful when you come down

Oh, don't beat on the cars, that will just excite the killer bees

25. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

A little more info on this yard and answers to some of the questions...

This yard is a one-man operation run by a curmudgeon that looks like a mini Grizzly Adams. Doesn't have a shop or office. His truck is basically his office. He has owned this yard for over 30 years and doesn't keep regular hours. Catching him there is a hit or miss proposition. Thinks his parts are worth their weight in gold, although it is possible to catch him in a good mood and occasionally get a reasonable deal (rarely). <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

The yard is not fenced and unfortunately the cars have been seriously vandalized over the years. You've probably noticed that there are hardly any windows intact, which of course exposes the interior to the elements. The vandals seem to like busting out taillights too. Most of these cars have been picked pretty clean.<O:p</O:p

The worst "vermin" I've encountered in this yard are mosquitos in the Spring, particularly in the NW section of the yard. Lots of places for water to pool. Have also gotten an occasional fire ant bite. Never saw a snake or had issues with spiders or scorpions. Biggest problem is the vegetation - thorns, brambles and sticker bushes that seem to relentlessly take over areas of the yard. <O:p</O:p

The blue '69 GTO was apparently a DUI wreck that was hauled into the yard about 30 years ago. The owner said he had a tough time hauling it since it took up one and a half lanes with the way it was bent. Car was pretty nice in it's time - Crystal Turquoise with a blue interior and white vinyl top. Well optioned too. Spent a lot of time sandwiched between a late '60s Ford and a '57 Chevy. The owner moved it out front one day in 2001 (when I took pics) because someone wanted the motor - the original YS code 400. I don't think the person ever showed up and the car disappeared shorty thereafter, presumably crushed.

As for the Stude humping the Corvair - that's their business.
    <O:p
    Attached is an aerial view. Cars are stacked two or three high in many places.<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

26. 29tx

29tx
    from Texas

Any one know of yards like this around the hill country?

27. slammed

slammed

That Elky stacked up top decent? Thank you for the tour, old yard's a gem!

28. BenW455

BenW455

29. roadrash

roadrash

That A -100 sure looks like it could use a nice new home up here in the great white north !!

30. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

Both the A-100 and the 59 El Camino are very restorable.