Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235 not turning, please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christopher26, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Christopher26

Christopher26

Hello everyone, I just rebuilt my 235,(58 I believe ) I made sure I tourqed everything correct, used oil stabilizer on the mains and connecting rod bearings, and the motor turned over nice, before I put it back in, I just hooked everything back up( alt, water pump, carb...) and I went to turn the flywheel to put the bolts on the preassure plate, and she wont move, it barely moves, like a 1/4 in, I had the pushrods on the lobes and the heads tourqed to 100 lbs as per the shop manual if anyone has any idea it'd be greatly appreciated

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Flywheel to crank bolts too long....

Or wrong flywheel

3. Christopher26

Christopher26

there the stock peices, I drove the car for a year before I pulled it so everything was fine before it

4. jimbobb

jimbobb
    from Oakdale Mn

Starter bolts

5. r8odecay

r8odecay

you got a belt on the pulley and around the water pump, and alt? they both spinning?

6. Christopher26

Christopher26

there the same ones I had in before, could it be the starter itself?

7. Christopher26

Christopher26

they water pumps spinning, I didnt check the alt, but it was spinning fine before I put the belt on

8. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Does it have an electric fuel pump? Had a buddy go through the same thing you are... he had an electric fuel pump on his truck, had the key on and the pump running for a long time while he did a bunch of other work... carb was jacked up and filled a cylinder with gas.

You'd probably smell the gas though.

Another thing i've seen is using bolts that are too long connecting the fan to the water pump snout, or forgetting to put the fan spacer in there and having a fan bolt bottom out into the snout.

It's probably something basic you over looked, I wouldn't freak out about it. Yank the belt and pop the starter out and see if it turns by hand then.

Good luck,

-Chris

9. Christopher26

Christopher26

no its a mechanical fuel pump, i didnt even prime the pump yet, I'm gonna pull the water pump, and starter and try it I guess

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Did you put the plugs in it?

Next step would be to back and loosen everything that you installed, after you turned it over before installing it in the car. You should be able to rule out motor mounts and such, just things that could affect the rotating assembly. If I couldn't find it by doing the previous step, next I might loosen all of the valves and then after that pull the head and see if the problem is still there.

Have you tried rotating the engine backwards? Is it possible that something is a cylinder?

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

One of the bellhousing/tranny/engine/starter bolts is probably swapped and hitting the flywheel.
    TP

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

You say the engine turned over ok before it went into the car.Was the engine complete then? Like the head bolted on ,pushrods installed and all that? It was on ann engine stand and then you took it off the stand,installed the flywheel ,clutch housing etc?

13. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Any chance a piston is hitting a valve and stopping due to a valve too tightly adjusted?

14. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

You should just take part by part off and check the engine to see if it turns each time you take a part off.