Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech....bbc install in a 53 caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double Caddy, May 29, 2009.

1. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I have the rear end out . It was a pain in the butt to pull it out by myself. I will be getting some help when I put it back . I am putting in a 1.5 inch loweringblock back it when the 12 bolt goes back . I left the leafsprings in place . I disconnected the emergency brake cable and brake line , cut the exhaust out of the way so the diff would clear the spring and frame. Unbolted the shocks and u bolts . Lifted the diff up and out she came.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

here are some more pics of the engine compartment

Attached Files:

3. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I know I am comparing apples to Oranges, but I had to go through alot of the little problems you had when I was doing the 455 swap in my 64 Lesabre.
    Still need to finish all the little things!
    But yours looks real good!!!!

4. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

KIMB82 No. its all the same when swapping motors out and its the little stuff that takes forever and costs the most. Are you still over in Afganistan ??? if so be careful

5. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Ya still here, and will be for a while!!!!
    What did you use for your radiator, and what are the dimensions on it?

6. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Its a cheapy pro cool 19x24 2pass 1inch aluminum tube. it holds 5 1/2 gallons with no heater hooked up. I dont have a shroud on it I dont know if its enough yet but will have to wait and see.

Todd

7. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I just finished up with the rear. the brakes were rusted out . the rear was outside for a long time. the shoes are almost new so i am keeping them but changed out the wheel cylinders and springs. plus painted the other parts. I also painted the rear. If its not raining tomorrow I will try to put the 12 bolt back in. I welded on new leaf spring pads.the ring and pinion are in good shape. there was no yucky stuff other than the rearend grease.

8. Where was the battery original on your 53? i only ask because my 49 cad has a box on the outside of the frame down by the starter. its actually a cool spot for it.

9. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

Big block chevy's rule, and the fact that you put that bad boy in a caddy is effin awsome. I like the fab work ya did. The car looks great good luck with it and roast some tires.

10. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

clouderback the battery box was in the same spot as it is now but the early 12vdc batteries were long and skinny.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  11. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

here are some pictures of the finished rear. I wont be installing it today its been pouring down all day.shfitty five thanks for the comments . I cant wait to drive her.

Attached Files:

12. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Well the 12 bolt rear is in the car . I added 1.5 inch lowering blocks plus had to have the U bolts made. The wife tried to help but It was easier to do it myself. I am finishing bolting the rear into place . then I can hook up my fuel line back so I get to hear that wonderful sounding open exhaust.
    Moving forward.

Todd

Attached Files:

13. looks nice!!
    Can't wait to see her on the next HAMB and Eggs ;-)

14. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thanks. I know I cant wait to drive her.

Todd

15. Go Todd go! Seems like there isn't many major things left to do, just all the little stuff that eats up all the time :cool:

16. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

lots of little stuff to do. I have only been able to work on it an hour here and there plus the crappy weather does help.I like your brake cylinder idea I might have to use it Dan. I will get the brakes going next. then maybe santa will get me a driveshaft :).

17. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I went to go put on the tires and guess what not enough clearance. the brake drums on the 12 bolt stick out even with the bolt flange where the caddy rear brake sits back about two inches back and I am using l-78 tires with very tall sidewalls . I am removing the lowering blocks tomorrow.

18. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

What an adventure!! I got the lowering blocks removed. bolted the rear back together the tire was able to squease past the fender go to bolt the tire up and guess what??? the rim doesnt clear the brake drum. I am gonna have to go to the parts store and get smaller brake drum and shoes. the drum is marked 11.24 max dia

19. OMG, now that's bad luck...

20. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I think I may try a truck rim first. If it gets too pricey for the smaller drums and shoes I may have to go disc's. I dont have the money for that just yet.

21. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Try experimenting with different year model Cadillac wheels, there's a good chance you can find one that will work for you.

I'm sure you already know that Cadillac changed wheel styling a few times during the 50's but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

22. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

nope didnt know that. any year suggestions??

23. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Might try a 56 wheel, they where a one year wheel and are quite a bit different from other Cadillac year models, or even experiment with a GM truck wheel like you mentioned

24. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

very cool thanks.

25. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That motor looks right at home in there. Great job man! Sorry to hear about the Gremlins holding up progress but thats just the way it goes when building a Kustom ride. I have faith in you that you'll have her on the road in no time.

26. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Hi RESQD37ZEP thanks , the gremlins WILL find another home. These are problems waiting for a solution. like I said its an adventure and the journey is part of the fun.:D

tODD

27. Todd,

I'm not positive but I think I've got a couple of '56 Caddy wheels.

28. The 11.24 dimension on the drum is for the maximum size it can be after it gets cut on a brake lathe. I'd go with something like a 5" BC station wagon or any full-size GM 15" wheel should fit it.

Bob

29. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey CADY...man i have a real concern about those front motor mounts. all of your engine weight is on those mounts and the trany mount. man if it were me, AND IT'S NOT i would use side engine mounts. WAY to much weight, with no support in the middle. and remember we're talking big block here! and IF your bell housing is alluminum, then brother we're talking safety here...POP.

30. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thanks Dan I will give you a call and Holeshot The engine is side mounted . I am bolted to the engine block holes and the plate is bolted to that . I am only a couple of inches forward off of that to where the stock caddy mounts are used. Right now with the engine running there is no engine movement. the whole car rocks.