Register now to get rid of these ads!

Veteran's Day & Hot rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LiL' NiCk, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

It is amazing how much hot rodding is connected with the American spirit! This post is to share your favorite stories connected or to say thanx to the people who give us the freedom to hot rod as we please. THANK YOU for your SERVICE!

Attached Files:

2. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

My most memorable veteran/ hot rod moment was this year at the hunnert car pile up. Graverobber presented a specially fabricated metal key to Kevin (Hcc), the key represented his kindness and appreciation. The key was also fabricated by a local from overseas. It was amazing to see a bunch of rugged rodders touched by this great story brought together by the love of cars and our country.

(Hopefully, the veterans involved in this memory can provide more details. Please share your favorite stories.)

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Last year some of us local HAMBers made a visit to the VA Hospital here in Houston, TX. It was a great day. In attendance were Matt from CMX, Brad and some members of Los Cochinos and myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the smile! He couldn't believe I let him sit in my car. I didn't want to, I HAD to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps the coolest over heard conversation was between these two gentleman. They both remarked of memories of crusing around with thier girlfriends in an old jalopy like this one. The guy in the suit worked at the VA and the other gentleman was a patient. Both found a common bond that day. Classic.
    [​IMG]

Then, one Saturday I was shooting through the VA and this gentleman flagged me down and we talked hot rods for a while. He said he had owned a '40 Ford, I believe, but had to get rid of it due to poor health. We exchanged phone numbers and still communicate from time to time. I told him about the HAMB and sent him copies of this pic. His wife told me he was so proud to show it to his buddies at a weekly breakfast he and they attend. Out of all the experiences I ever had with my car, nothing compares to her telling me that.
    [​IMG]

I now work at the VA Hospital and NOTHING means more to these guys than just a simple "Thank you" and a hearty handshake. If you can do it, do so. It matters big time.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  4. Fred, that is one of the best Vet stories I've heard. Great what you guys did showing up with your cars. You've motivated me to get one of my cars on the road and plan a similar outing at the local VA hospital.

5. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

WOW.....Thank you for sharing your memories from the houston VA. My dad died at the Zablocki VA in Miulwaukee recently. I understand. He served the U. S. Air Force during Vietnam as a medic.

6. Appleseed

Appleseed

Thanks for popping this up, Nick. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. And I'm sorry I missed you at the Pile-Up.

7. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Fred, we need to get together and do this again...

8. In the past we would get together every veterans day and do a fly-over over the V.A. Hospital right after the flag ceremony.

This year I drove my Roadster to the cemetary where my family of Hero's are buried and prayed for our Soldiers serving today.

And after a quiet prayer... I headed to my Local VFW hall and tipped a couple beers with my friends and other vets as we shot the bull looking at the Roadster sitting in the middle of muscle cars.

This is the last Veterans day that I will be driving this car and I wanted it to be special in my own way.

"Semper Fi"

9. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

10. Hey Bill... Is that you?

If so what year and what happened???

Hahaha... I can't fit in my old flightsuit anymore!!!!

11. Retrorod

Retrorod

Thanks people...it's a great group here! I always drive my sedan when I have to go to the VA medical facility for an appointment, I usually get into alot of conversations while in the waiting room. Interesting stories.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm working on it. The main issue is the VA is doing a lot of construction going into the hospital and also where we parked last time. I'll make a post when I get more info.

13. joebuick

joebuick

14. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I can't either! 1972, last napalm drop before the ban went into effect. Too many F-100 backseat 100'level skip bombs with a 100hr 2/lt in the front..wore me out! Remember sitting in de-arm with my brown bar in the front seat and as I lit up a cig the crew chief called up and said "those are bad for your health". I pointed to the front seat and said "not as much as him!!"

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I watched a way cool show on the History channel last night. Lots of footage with most in HD COLOR. It's a 10 part series and is worth a watch. It's called "WWII in HD". It's on now.

You older guys may see someone you know or know of. It could happen.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  16. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Thanks Guys!

-Saint

17. Bloody Hell

Bloody Hell
    from Spring, TX

Hey, please try to get the VA thing together again in Houston. I am a disabled vet and would love to drag my rustbucket down there with everyone else and leave my diabled vet card on the dash.