Register now to get rid of these ads!

"See Through" Model engines kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Nov 10, 2009.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

Hi all,
    Looking for a see through model engine kit like the one pictured below. I've only found this one and one other and was wondering if anyone else knew of any. This one below might work, but I just want to explore all options before I make a purchase. It's just for my son (6 year old). He wants to know 'how engines work inside dad'.

Thanks

Scott

By the way, this one pictured is a 1:4 scale, about right for size I'd say.

[​IMG]

2. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

discoverthis.com

3. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

I bought one at Hobby Lobby that is an inline four, but it is still neat. The sparkplugs even light up...

4. skullhat

skullhat

ive got 3 of those kits., one renwall. the other 2 are revell, same kit.

they shouldnt be to hard to find out there.. as a kid i had the qtr scale chassis as well

skull

5. I think the one you have pictured is similar to a GM and actually turns over and lights up.

EDITED: There are others available as well: Chrysler 426 HEMI, Ford 427 SOHC, and a couple of others. But those don't turn over. They are cheaper, but smaller, and not transparent. Here's a link to several of them:
    http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Visible-V-8-Engine/dp/B000XQ8X5U/ref=pd_sbs_t_3
    Scroll down to see the others.

IF it's for educational purposes and seeing how stuff inside works, it's hard to beat a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine. You can get those almost for free, and, if you do it right, it will run when you're done. BTW, you probably want to avoid two-strokes, at least the first time around. The four-strokes are more straightforward.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. 61bone

61bone

The one pictured is a Studebaker 289.

7. Harris

Harris

Found one the other day at a local hobby shop, I'll see if I can get their website for you.

8. Toner283

Toner283

there is this one.

[​IMG]

I know this particular one is not see through but there is another version of this kit that is molded in clear plastic. It is smaller than the kit you have pictured. this kit has LOTS of little parts, almost as many as the real engine. Also has a bunch of rubber parts & some photoetched stuff. if your son is a beginner this one will be extremely challenging. possibly too challenging for a 6yo. the renwall/revell one you have pictured is also a challenging kit, some steps you will need to help him with if you go with that kit.
    Revell also has a couple of other visible engines, a turbo 4 banger (2.3 liter ford I think) and a Wankel rotary.

There is also this one.. Maybe a little more kid friendly. I have not seen this kit in person so I cannot say for sure.

http://www.discoverthis.com/motorworks.html

Go to egay & type visible engine in the search box & you will see there are several differnent engines available. I think I remember seeing a harley V twin visible kit as well.

Hope this helps.

9. Those visible V-8s are a nightmare to put together. Trust me, I'm an experienced modeller, and it gave me such a headache, i never made it past the long block! It has many, many very small pieces that are easy to loose, nothing fits right... This kit is a reissue of the same one my dad built back in the 60's.

When my dad wanted to teach me about engines when I was a kid, we took apart a Briggs 4 stroke and then cut the cylinder and crankcase so when we reassembled, it was a cut-away. We even cut the flywheel in half, to see the mag, but the plug still sparked! ( we put a handle on the end of the crank..)

10. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

another vote for the lawn mower 4 stroke
    when my son was 8/9 we did one for a science fair display
    took it all apart painted &son made place cards explaining each part&how it worked
    wired it onto peg board in an exploded view..........
    must of done some good he's now in final stages taking my model A apart painting IT&putting it back together.....worth every minute >we still talk about it<

11. Appleseed

Appleseed

The ultra rare inviso-Slant 6 is the shit.

12. budd

budd

at 6 your boy could have a mini bike with a briggs and stratton, if you have the space to ride that is, remember the first thing little kids do is go wide open throttle so be ready, doesnt matter how many times you tell them not to they still do, lol..a model would be fun to.

13. weez

weez

I kept hearing that the visible V8 was a sbc, but it looks like a Studie to me. This is mine-

Attached Files:

14. If you really want to mess with his head, search out the old Wankel rotary kit...made by Entex, I think, & maybe others.

Getting the kit to work right was almost as much of a hassle as making a real Wankel engine run correctly. :)

15. Alfster

Alfster

I've had one of those sitting on the shelf in the garage gathering dust for years. Finally took it to a swap meet with a bunch of other stuff last weekend.

Lots of people looking at it. Finally sold it for $30

16. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I've got a couple. One is together and complete the other is in a box. The one in the box needs some TLC and assembly but there great for learners.

17. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

I had the see-thru Wankel engine. From what I remember it was kind of a pain getting it work right.

18. Go a smallblock chevy still wrapped in the box sitting in my attic that I got 11 years ago.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Consider something real with a possible range of future options! Get him something like an SBC...lots of people would give you one needing rebuild or in an unpopular size... and spend a few bucks to have the pieces tanked and get an el cheapo harbor freight stand.
    For now, just paint the castings and help the kid assemble it with one piston and one pair of valves set to work, head left as a lift-off. For the present need, it will do the educational job and have a better chance of hooking his interest than a bunch of ill-fitting Renwal plastic.
    If it really grabs his interest...get the lump bored and turn it into a project one piece at a time over the next few years. Get a 350 simply because cheapest to rebuild! When he's older...he will already have an engine that can be fitted into almost anything worth building.
    The kid will be off the street and out of trouble, and if he is always saving his pennies for a cam or an aircleaner, he won't even be able to afford drugs and a switchblade!

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Get him a real early hemi and rebuild it, he'll learn and you can sell it when your done. That should keep you two busy for a week or so.:p:D

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My neighbor just sold one like in the first post at their yard sale this past weekend . It was unassembled in the box for a buck. I though about grabbing it but have too much stuff as it is.

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Anyone here remember the old Monogram 1/8th scale small block Chevy from about 1960? It had a see through section around the #1 cylinder, if I remember correctly. It also had a clear GMC 4-71 blower housing too, also IIRC. Wish I still had mine.

Also didn't Entex make a visible Honda 750 engine in the '70's (yeah, I know it's OT).

23. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

Wish my pops did this for me!!! :cool:

24. Swifster

Swifster

The sad part is that the original see-thru engine had a faux battery with a switch that would turn the engine via the starter. That had the light up spark plugs. It was a bitch to make it work right, but they did work. I don't believe the new ones work other than by hand.

25. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

^^^^what he said, the newer ones just have a hand crank, no battery. Easier to put together I guess.

I can't help wondering what dies they were using, coz it was a real bastard to get everything to fit right.

26. budd

budd

i remember when i was 11 my Dad helped get my mini bike running right, the exhaust valve had sunk into it's seat, he didnt know about grinding down the stem to get clearance so he ground down the back of the exhaust cam lobe, it ran fine for years, he knows better now and so do i..lol

27. I like Bruce Lancaster's idea.

28. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I knew a guy that had a battery operated see-thru engine engine kit back in the 60's. I don't remember all the details of the story he told me, but he did something like take a model train controller plugged into an outlet and wired it into the little engine. He said he cranked it wide open and basically blew the model apart LOL...

I wonder if it "threw a rod".

-Chris

29. Scott F.

Scott F.

I kind of like this idea too. I hadn't really considered it, but my 'plan' was to have him in an early to mid 50's chevy pickup when he turned 16. With the straight six and manual trans and disc brakes added. I figure it won't be too fast, will stop well and he cant haul around a bunch of people to distract him (unless they are riding in the bed):rolleyes:

Drugs and a switchblade, thats funny.

Scott

30. There exists a Moto Guzzi visible motorcycle. The whole thing, and it all works, IIRC. But that one has always been expensive, and there just HAS to be a lot of small parts.
    Cosmo