Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jaguar IFS swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 460 willy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I am swaping a 86 xj6 IFS into my 1953 chevy 210. My question is before I send the car to the scrap yard what else should I take off of it. I am pulling the IFS and the IRS and also the two gas caps. Should I keep the master cyl and proport valves the shaft from the steering column? Also anyone who has done the swap any advice I found some good info but also of the threads are older and the pics do not load anymore. Thanks in advance

2. 73RR

73RR

3. Verminator

Verminator

Save the steering shaft, those joints are $75 each !!!

4. lowdown

lowdown

think i have a pic of a finished jag swap on a 54 some place ill check tonight when i get home. considering this swap for my 53 aswell.
    Brad

5. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Probably should save the master cylinder and prop valve if you plan on using the brakes as they are.

6. Go on ebay, search completed auctions for parts from the car, take off anything you see selling for enough money to be worth your time to pull off the car and pack up and ship to someone.

7. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

Thanks for the replies I have checked Evilbay and the parts a few and far between that are worth any money. Lowdown if you could find any pics that would be awesome.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

grab the power steering pump and lines. The master and proportioning valve if you're gonna run the rear as well (disc/disc). Though the master is hideous.

9. aldixie

aldixie

I've done the swap and its pretty easy. I used a new steering joint that I got from Speedway. You will find problems with header clearance if using a SBC. I used some early 70's truck manifolds to clear the steering column. The bottom steering joint comes very close to the frame. I'm running air bags on the front suspension as well. Check the link in my signature.

Alex

10. custompainter26

custompainter26
    from st louis

I have a 54 Pontiac and an Jaguar XJS parts car. What are the advantages of this swap? Could this be done on my car? Is this something I should consider since I have the parts lying around?

11. toddc

toddc

Definately take the steering column. The big uni allows for movement in ALL directions, which aftermarket unis don't. You will need this if you plan to use the rubber mounts as per a Jag.

Also, the windscreen wipers and gear shift are very easily adapted to just about anything.

12. lowdown

lowdown

Attached Files:

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

If, you have space to store the Jag keep it tell your finished with your build and know more about what to save. Some times little thing on a car come in handy.

CRUISER :cool:

14. Yep.
    I have pulled several Jags to bits and it amazes me what I find that I can use on my build.
    Even the electric window systems are strong units.

15. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I wish I had the room to keep it until I am finished but space and wife are not allowing it. I just may look into the power windows for a future project.

16. mustangsix

mustangsix

While you have the crossmember out, it would be a good time to replace bushings, esp the steering rack mounts. There are several places that make poly replacements that will prevent the rack from wobbling around on its mounts. Makes a huge difference in the steering.

17. This is a fairly easy swap to a Chevrolet because the suspension/crossmember unbolts from the frame on the 49-54 Chevys. However the Pontiac uses an entirely different frame, and I believe the front crossmember is a permanent part of the frame. So you would be entirely on your own with this swap, and you'd have to plan to cut the old front end out of the car.

The advantages this has for a Chevrolet are that you get disc brakes, a power rack, eliminate the kingpins, it lowers the car a few inches right off the bat, and it has the same wheel bolt pattern as the original wheels (4 3/4" on 5). (A Pontiac is 5"x5).

Your Pontiac the frame and suspension design continued through '57 and I believe Scarebird or another outfit is making a kit to add disc brakes to the stock front end using '70s GM rotors which keep the correct bolt pattern.

18. custompainter26

custompainter26
    from st louis

Mechanically are there any similairities between Chevy's and Pontiacs in the 50's?

19. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

no pontiacs came wit Inline flat 8 and bigger brakes, and great rears mine is a 3.90

20. Are you saying "no pontiacs came wit Inline flat 8" ??

I've seen them. :eek::eek:

21. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

wat i meant was no there is no similarities between chevy and pointiacs. like no, pontiacs came wit a inline flat 8 and chevy wit the I6

exept canadian pontiac witch is pretty much a chevy and they brought a I6

22. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Thanks for the pics lowdown.Did you buy those motor mounts or are they custom?What do those fit?

23. lowdown

lowdown

Sorry DirtyEd unfortunatley those pics are not of my car they were sent to me from people who have done the conversion here in Aus.
    Brad

24. For 49-54, they both have internal combustion engines.... that's about it. It was about 1965 before all GM cars had standardized suspensions, rearends and transmissions.

Pontiac had an entirely different frame, flathead six or eight, shared manual trans with Olds/Buick or had a hydramatic, open drive, may have shared rearend with Olds, front end pretty much all their own, 119 3/4" wheelbase. Chevy had an OHV six, different manual trans, powerglide auto trans, torque tube drive, 115" wheelbase, even the wheel bolt pattern is different.

About the only mechanical things that were shared were some cars built with Powerglides in '54 (?) because of the Hydramatic plant fire and by '58 or '59 the manual trans used in Chevrolets was tough enough that some Pontiacs used it as well. And you might be able to physically swap generators from one to the other.

25. Big Jon

Big Jon

working on my swap at the moment

Attached Files:

26. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

not for the swap, but worth $, I think these things had smiths gauges and might be worth saving for ebay

27. custompainter26

custompainter26
    from st louis

Damn! Was hoping they had a little more in common than that. Oh well

28. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Big jon those were the pics I was looking for!Hoping to go to pull a part this weekend to pick up an 86 xjs front end.Thanks for all the info.

29. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Things to take: The entire pedal box. The instruments. The steering column. The a/c condensor (entire thing behind the dash). The ECU. The fuel mileage readout unit in the dash. The fuel mileage ECU in the boot. The little cast white metal crank to open or close the sunroof in an emergency. The weird 'turnbuckle' adjustment arms for the alternator/air pump/etc. The fuel tanks if they are good. The grille. The leaper. The dash wood. THE XK ENGINE! The driveshaft. Bosch relays.

Some of these parts will provide good raw material for your swap, and the rest can be sold easily on egay.

Also take as many fasteners as you can. Jags are chock full of fine thread bolts and nuts. They come in handy.