Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

To combine a couple of recent threads of interest, Cliff Griffith attempted to qualify the Dunlop built C/E upright dirt car for the 64 Indy.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Off to Texas this morning with the Don Thomas sprint roadster. Gene Harrison will stay at Don's home tonight and the three of us are off to Larry Phitzenmarer's, and then off to Texas. If you are at Texas spend a little time with Thomas, Great guy and ran the USAC mid west in 67 and finished 6th in the standings. he also drove the Centeral Escivating No. 73 at Indy but did not qualify after meeting the wall , and the crew took a hammer to the car in an effort to fix it. He has some great storys

3. racer5c

racer5c

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm too busy here at the shop Roy.. Sorry.

Have fun making laps!

5. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Hey Roy. I just talked to Bloomer the other day and he mentioned going up and checking that out. He had a ball there last year. I will tell him to look you up. I remember going when I lived in Fl. Have a good time and a safe trip.

6. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'phatfalcon, 'Man, 'blown away by the pics. Brilliant! 'Love the Wally #9 car but, gotta ask: Does anyone know who used to own the #35 car? Is that the old Enterprise Machine car that Ralphie the Racer drove that was a Flynn chassis? Either way, it's super-gorgeous.

7. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Yes, but the car wasn't born that way. Originally, in 1958 (the Hopkins/Amick #3), it had hairpins. It also had front-end handling problems which were partly solved in 1960 (now the Joe Hunt #76) by going to the four-bar set up. But, per Tommy Hunt, the four-bar had too much "flex". Using high-speed photography, they discovered that the bars were "winding up", mostly under braking. The adjustable clevis connectors tying the bars together solved the problem.

Lujie's radius rods were unusually long. He tied them to the frame back near the motor plate, compared to the more common, shorter, "mid-engine" attachment point favored by Kuzma and others. The long rods make sense (better front wheel bounce geometry), but maybe they introduced other problems. I've got early photos of the car showing they experimented with both long and short hairpins. And then there is the interesting observation that the other, identical car (Bowes #9/4) retained the original long hairpins with (apparently) no problem...

Attached Files:

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks to be one of the McConnell collection now, a vid can be found here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=976977608896661248#

9. RicSchwarm

RicSchwarm

Racer5c (Roy). I'll be there a couple of days. It should be easy because I live in Land O Lakes (Just west of Zephyrhills). It looks like I'll be doing some Vintage Racing next year. Just happens to be in the car that Josh is building.

10. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Ric, I sent you a PM. We have some things in common, it is a small world. Your avitar got my attention. See you at Z'hills.

Blacki-Suede

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

...I'm guessing you'll drive when my schedule will not allow?? :D:D

12. racer5c

racer5c

Nice picture of Greg Staab

13. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

That was a GREAT reply! I was going to mention the links between the rods, but I didn't want to get too windy.You 'splained it without me having to ask. Thanks for the knowledgeable dissertation.
    It is interesting how some cars can be dimensionally identical for all intents and purposes, but behave completely differently. I am of the firm belief that old racecars have souls and personalities. Nobody can tell me different. You know it's true.

14. RicSchwarm

RicSchwarm

Of course you will. I'm still too fat (215) to get in the darn thing, but losing weight fast. 25 lbs. since I was up there last. Driving Ken's car is a lot of incentive to lose the weight.

15. RicSchwarm

RicSchwarm

Greg and I had a lot of great times together in the mid to late 70's running the USAC circuit in his Edmunds / Sesco midget. Especially up against the Volkswagen's. Hope to meet you at Zephyrhills.

16. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ha ha! I hear ya.. You'll fit just fine! Welcome to the board.

Have fun with our "Principal" Roy.. He'll keep ya in line!

JD

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A.J. and Wally tweeking the #9, first time out, Reading Mar. 1963.

Attached Files:

19. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Tony ...

You're a GRRRRRRREAT photographer!!!

How & where did you learn?
    What kind of camera & lens (lenses) do you use?

GRRRREAT pictures.
    THANKS

20. Buildy

Buildy

Thanks Ken,

I took up the camera around 1975 when I went in the Air Force,while stationed in England. I shot racing at Silverstone etc. F-1,endurance racing F-2 F-3 FF and such.
    Also did motocross photography back then.
    For many years back home,though I did no racing photography. In Oct 2008 I started up taking racing photos at Lincoln Speedway. I shot Lincoln and Williams Grove this year anytime I could get off work.
    I shoot the vintage events at Latimore and Hershey as well.
    In my first year I got a photo in a racing magazine and next year I`m on the press list for the WoO.
    I`m still learning Digital photography, and local photographers give me advice and pointers. Also Jack Hedstrom from Jack`s Racing Photos is teaching me a lot too.
    The toughest thing to master,by far,is night flash photography.
    I`m using an obsolete Canon Digital Rebel from 2003 and Canon and Sigma lenses and hope to update to a Canon 50D before 2010 racing starts.
    I would love to shoot the Vintage show in New Hampshire,but haven`t been up there yet.

I do this strictly as a hobby,the best part is making friends with drivers and teams that like my photos.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  21. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Welcome to the thread Ric, you don't have a chassis builder building your car you have a craftsman doing the work!
    God Bless You,
    PK

22. RicSchwarm

RicSchwarm

I wish it was my car, but it's not my car, but a very good friend of mines. I will just have the honor of driving it occasionally. Second, you are definitely correct about Josh, he is a craftsman, which there are very few of in this day and age.

23. I wanted "USAC Registered Car" stickers on my '60's street-legal sprint car replica but I didn't want them to be exact. I had my local sign shop copy a 1959 emblem but change the date to 1968 so I couldn't be accused of piracy. :)

I had a few extras made so if anybody that reads this thread is interested I can supply them for ten bucks apiece shipped.....that way I can get back some of my investment. There is no "grid" look to the finished stickers. They measure 5 1/4" X 4". Send a P.M. if you want any,

Sorry.....sold out !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks for the kind words fella's

----------------

Johnnyfast.. PERFECT! I Pm'ed ya.

25. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

26. jimg12

jimg12

Speaking of Josh, I went up one day and he did not hit a lick of WORK [he was to busy showing me around], what a nice guy.
    I will be at Zephyrhills Froday and Sat.[will wear my RH hat if I can remember it], if not will have on my red cap with no logo on it.
    I think I have said this before. Cliff Griffith was like an uncle to me. He had the dirt car fast enough to make the race if the wind was not blowing but when he tried to make the race the wind was blowing. The tanks on the left side of the car were put there to put water in for weight to help handleing.
    Hope to see some people at Zephryhills. I am in Florida for the winter, maybe I can get together with some guys down here over the winter.
    Jim Graybeal

27. Buildy

Buildy

"Buildy, those are some BEAUTIFUL pitchurs!.... and the subjects are georgious too!
    Congrats!"

ZOOOM

Thanks! Glad you like the photos.

28. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Sad to report that super nice guy and most excellant driver of the Pa. Camel Express #26 JIM NACE passed way this morning from cancer.

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry to hear that. God Speed.

-----------------------

I'd also like to say:

THANKS!!

To ALL our Veterans.. MY Grandpa was a Marine who fought on IWO JIMA. He saw the flag get raised.. BOTH TIMES!

I have five uncles.. one AIR FORCE, One a SEA-BEE, One Navy, and the other two MARINES!

THANK YOU ALL!!

J Shaw

30. A shout out to my Grandpa (RIP), he made it all the way to Okinawa, just as things were winding up.

And to his best friend "Ironhead".

And to an Iwo Jima Vet, Enoch Watterson.