Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yeah that would be cool :D

2. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wicked!!! Any bigger shots? Idk if Im into the shoebox rear window, but I think it may look really cool on this car, it looks kinda radical. Ive always liked teh shoebox window on a radically chopped hardtopped Merc, so that kinda follows suit maybe. Nice job tho!

4. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

i will try to figure out how come the pics are so small i will see if i can get some bigger ones up i used the shoe box window because i wanted a fast back look the side profile is really nice the roofline flows into the trunk nice . i chopped it 3 and a half inches vertically in front and 4 and a half in the rear . my theme on this is a forward slant . the b pillars the scoops at the front of the skirts the tail lights the scoops on the hood as well . im thinking of doing the front end in a forward slant as well , i just dont want to loose the Merc look . this is a low dollar high labor project lol i don't have much money but i have the time

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

6. Nolan

Nolan

...around late September I was here:
    [​IMG]

...now I'm here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. I hope to post an update myself soon.

8. bigs merc

bigs merc

Dad and I finished the major stuff. just need to start searching swap meets for the little accessories

9. Spridle

Spridle

Hey John I still have that 50 dash shell. I think I sent you pics of it and a poor 51 dash thats complete. If not lemme know. Just PM me with your E-mail addy.

Andy

10. Update from Paul my paint guy... I have not asked him about the car for over a month...

I'm getting excited again!

11. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

What did you ever do about your skirts ? Having those same issues and questions you were on another thread somewhere.

12. I have some '51 skirts and some winfield extended skirts, gonna compare both and then make a decision.

bdynpnt, I would remove that third brake light, otherwise your car is awesome. that third brake light I think will hurt the value of the car, and you'll be getting unsolicited comments about it forever. I love the rear window wish I could have done that.

13. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

My Merc has been sitting in storage for the last couple of years, got set to the side when the 56 F100 needed a refresh. I hope to get back to it by summer. Doing my homework right now on front end upgrades. I do have the engine and trans ready...460/C6.

Attached Files:

14. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

My friend's 51........

Attached Files:

15. Another update from my paint guy:

16. 11.09.09 the warden tells you back to the cell for a few days!:rolleyes:

17. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Havent done much on mine in the past month or so. Been slammed at work. Darn job interferes with my hot rod building :D I did finally get the 53 Chrysler dash I scored last summer delivered and so thats next

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i hosed the dirt off of mine over the weekend...my attempt at my gloss patina finish:)

Attached Files:

19. Sup Ian. Yeah I think the Merc ended up being a lot more work than he expected. Anyway, he's giving me updates every couple of days, my guess is that he's slow right now. :)

20. Im in a delema.....One piece or three piece rear window. Ive got both. Cant decide....

Attached Files:

21. I would say one piece. By the time guys were switching the '51 windows for '49-50 style I would think they were almost always using one piece glass. But that is just my opinion.

22. HEHEHE. It sure sounds like it was more tha he thought. Well at least you may be getting some benifit from the slow economy. I can't wait to see it so I can't even imagine how worked up you must be by now.

23. Bottom side of hood and trunk were primed this past weekend. Also put the engine and trans back in the car to measure for the driveshaft and fit the radiator. Both my sons were home this weekend to help me.

24. Bossy

Bossy

:) I am finishing up a 1953 Mercury convertible with flathead and C4 automatic, Bittersweet color with Bittersweet and ivory interior and a black top. We did a frame off restoration, it has factory power steering. The top should be on next week and it will be done. :cool:

Attached Files:

25. I vote one-piece window. Your car has those front fender lips and I think that makes the car look more mid 50's or later to me. When I see a '49 back glass I'm almost expecting the car to be somewhat mild.

26. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Decided to go off the deep end and do the inner and outer rockers and floor fire wall and trunk pan. So now it will have a new motor, tranny rear end (lowering blocks) power disk brakes new lower, front springs and power sterring and AC. Still want to do the canted head lights and the 56 Packard tail lights, but want to take a breath and ride for a while in between upgrades!

I am using the Green mountain outer rockers!

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

It needs to be chopped if you do the canted quads and Packard tail lights. Needs needs needs.

28. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Since everyone seems to be posting about '49-'55 Mercs, I thought I would update you guys on the progress of my '62 Monterey Wagon.

The Chassis is mostly complete. Just need to add the front brakes and bags.

[​IMG]

The Engine (352 FE) has been at the machine shop for a couple of weeks. I don't expect to see it back until the new year. Although, I did score some nice 410 Valve Covers for it.

[​IMG]

I just finished building a rotissere, and now I have the body mounted up on it. This winter will be spent doing body work (i.e. rust repair)

[​IMG]

Hopefully the metal work will be complete when the snow melts again in 6 months.

29. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I have already decided to remove the third light it looked ok when i was thinking about using later model cad tail lamps but since i went with the 54 Merc they dont fit with the car so its already cut out . i felt the 50 ford window gave the smoothest flow to the roof line plus I could actually find one around here, I couldnt find a 50 merc. I am glad I went that way now too . and thanks for the comments on the car

30. Yeah I think when you see a Merc with a 3rd brake light or modern taillights it becomes harder to classify and I think that can hurt the value of the car. I know most folks don't want to think about the value of the car but I do.

I have a feeling I might end up with two sets of wheels for my car, I like those Billet Specialties Cal Smoothy type wheels.