Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are these air cleaners cheezy lookin????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedabone, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

2. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

You know what opinions are like.The only one that matters is yours.I do like the idea of cutting the snap rims off though.

3. Put some of the smaller Dog-dish covers on there. Don't cheapen it up...

4. Looks good to me......

5. rev383

rev383

I like them!

6. gary9202

gary9202

flamed....cars coming along....i need to get over to your place and help...somehow i dont think you need the help though...

7. They look like they are made out of a couple of hub caps. Something I might do and now that I'm loking at them I'm thinking that I have a pair of baby moons that just might fit the bill.

But here's the thing you build a lot nicer cars than I build. Smooth is your style. I'm not thinking that they look like Jeff air cleaners. Nothing wrong with them they just don't look like you.

OH BTW is this an invitation?

Yay-Hoo Cup title holder. 11.31 @ 121.5mph. Drive to the HAMB Drags and we'll line em up.

What if I'm getting close time wise will ya come help me get my induction sorted out?

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They certainly don't look "cheezy". I honestly did'nt know they were caps at first...was thinking I hadn't seen that brand of air-cleaner before! Nice and smooth. I tend to think they might look even better with chromed smooth rocker-covers. I like fins, but smooth chrome is nice too...EVERYBODY'S got fins it seems. - Rick

9. If you like them they look good. As for me, great idea!

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like them but I have no taste...they look like hubcaps, which is what they are, and everybody will dthink the same thing. Sorry.

11. For me they look like hub caps on top of a very nice engine. I would go with some more traditional-looking air cleaners. Personally, I like the look of air cleaners; I think going to anything else, be it hubcaps, pots and pans, soup cans, or whatever, well it just comes off looking rat-rod. Just my opinion though. No matter how well you pull it off, I think it will detract from that great engine by causing people to think " those air cleaners look familiar, what are they? I know they're hubcaps!"

12. I see no cheese.... cut the "snap lip"?? off and you've got a winner.

13. RichG

RichG

If you don't want to cut the lip off maybe swiss cheese it (the lip) with round or slotted holes...

14. I made one like that..with a spike on top...didn't like it in the engine compartment (51 Chev). But looks better twice like that. It's your car man........

15. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Just my 2 cents, i think the valve covers and the air cleaner(s) should have a similar style, polished aluminum and chrome? i dunno, maybe my OCD is kickin in. I like em otherwise.

16. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

If you have to ask if they're cheezy, then you already know the answer. Let's face it ,, they're hubcaps with a hole in the middle .

17. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

I like them. I would have to see the rest of the car, but I love mixing chrome or polised aluminum with brushed aluminum. Maybe a brushed strip down the middle of each dome.

regardless of that - there different - you won't see them everyday.

18. Cruiser

Cruiser

flamedabone<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4538436", true); </SCRIPT> - This is a very old custom trick from late '40's and still looks good, if you can get passed the hub cap issue. I say, go with them for awhile and see if they grow on you, you can always change them later. They look very clean, look at this way there not some ugly Rambler hub cap. :D

CRUISER :cool:

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Quick and dirty: paint the lips black, and see how they look.

20. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

Id throw some striping on them

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Could you use the lip to attach some kind of fancy screen, like that confessional screen crap they sell at home improvement stores? Either run fasteners in from outside and use the lip as a backer, or trim 80% of it off and solder the screens in from the inside.

If you lathed up some polished aluminum "caps" to sit over the stud, it would not only provide a flat for the wingnut, but would mimic a feature found on actual air cleaner lids. Think of an upside down cup with a screwy aspect ratio of width to height. Hollow inside clears the dome. Heck, you could also go to a local harley shop and ask for chromed bolt covers. They're a thru-hole away from the piece I'm trying to describe.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  22. t5stang91

t5stang91

i would pinstripe them up then use them

23. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

Dude, ALL the cars you build/built are beyond f'n rad. You should trust your first instinc. I say if you have to ask, you already have the answer...

24. drock6570

drock6570

im with 8FLEET9- those little guys look a bad case of asthma

25. I think they look good. I have seen more than afew pictures from back in the day with hubcaps as air cleaner lids.

26. I like em! Carbs look cheezy though.

27. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

X2, then chuck it up in a drill press and put concentric stripes on it.

28. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

What he said... maybe if the air filter baskets were larger and taller. Something that the lip of the caps would disappear into/behind.

29. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hubcap aircleaners have been done but you might start the trend up again!

At the least you should either remove the clip lip from the caps which will surely increase air flow...OR paint the clip lip gloss black so it kinda disappears.

30. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Look cool to me!