Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc starter bolts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48thames, Nov 8, 2009.

1. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

Has anyone just used grade 8 bolts instead of the knurled ones? I am installing a new mini starter on my 400sbc and it takes a shorter bolt. The one's they sell in the parts store are either to long or to short. The only other thing I can think of is to use a stack of washers or a spacer to shorten up the knurled ones if I can't use just regular bolts.

2. R Pope

R Pope

On a stock starter you need the knurled bolts to align the starter, don't know about aftermarket ones.

3. didn't the mini starter come with the bolts?

4. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

Didn't come with new bolts. The 4 and 5/8 are to long. I need something about a 1/2 inch shorter.

5. dbradley

dbradley

6. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

Thanks for the link. I think those are the same as the one's in the help section at the parts store. They list the bolt size online at autozone and kragens and none will work. I guess I could cut the bolts and thread them and make studs.

7. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

Regular bolts ara fine with the new mini.

8. You can find correct bolts. It may take some looking. I saw a GM mini mounted with standard bolts and it moved causing starter ring damage. You should use the correct style bolts.

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

regular bolts are not fine with the mini starter. the will eventually fall out . you can get the correct bolts at any chevrolet dealership.
    been there done that!!!

10. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

Thanks for the replies, I made some a little longer then1/4 inch spacers to get the bolts to seat. It works ok except that the drive takes a second or two to kick back out after the car starts. Maybe I should try a shim or two to see if that helps. I have plenty of gap between ring gear and starter drive when it's not engaged.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

so,you saved the price of 2 bolts,that will probably cost you a starter gear and a flex-plate. nice trade off.

12. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I don't care about the price of bolts, I can't find the right one's. This isn't a delco mini, it might look like one, but it wasn't made by GM, so why would they have the right bolts? I checked online everywhere I can think of and can't find the size I need listed anywhere.

13. i asked about the bolts in my first post on this thread because every mini starter i have ever installed on a sbc came with the bolts. if you do not have them , i suggest you talk to the maker of the starter and see what they say you should use

14. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ok..happy wrenching..

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

1988 Corvettes came with a small mini type starter.

[​IMG]

I would imagine that the bolts for it ( the long one )
    would work. ( They are the special knurled ones )

Chevrolet parts man should be able to find it easy :D

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Why not tap a couple of threads and shorten bolts .

17. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Use the stock bolts and your spacers..
    The knurl on the end is needed to correctly index the starter to the block.
    good luck
    Dave

18. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

give summit or jegs a call. sounds like a hipo starter...why noot go to parts guys that deal in hipo parts? use the spacer until the new ones arrive. p.s. sounds like you do indeed need a shim.

19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit has bolt kits.

20. Yes.

I bought one that came with bolts awhile back but they don't all come that way. They just use a grade 8 bolt, knurl not required.

21. TOM-KAT38

TOM-KAT38

GM # 15544950. About 2 bucks each. Tom

22. oj

oj

ARP #430-3503 or 3504; no a regular gr8 bolt dosn't quite work because there is a small pocket milled into the top of the starter that the head of the bolt drops into, a regular sized bolt will go in there and bind everything up. Mini starter bolts have knurled shanks and undersized wrenching heads.

23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I talked a friend thru this a few weeks back and it was just like this thread. He was putting a factory SBC ministarter on which uses different length bolts than the older starters

My advice- just go buy them
    His response- I've been to all the local chains and all they have are 2 or 3 standard sizes, none of which are these

Know what? He's right. Damn near impossible to find knurled bolts other than the 2 or 3 standard sizes.

Know what else we learned? New GM starter bolts are not knurled! I can only assume they have a special diameter shank to mimic the knurl, but for the last couple years the GM service bolts don't have knurl!

For the original poster- keep looking for the right bolts. Any kind of shim or spacer will allow the bolts to work loose over time. Starter mounts are a very demanding application for a bolt. Do it soon before they cost you a flexplate or starter. Good luck!

24. nutajunka

nutajunka

If you bolt it up just snug, and then try to move it side to side, and it moves alot it will not work. What ever bolts you use have to fit right. Call the people who made it and ask them what they suggest.

25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

the bosse's O/T camaro has a mini with standard bolts and no troubles