Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Nov 8, 2009.

1. I've seen some custom exhaust systems that were capped off by some sort of cool looking custom cap. They look like a plug to either finish off a cutout or to stop stuff from gettin down in the tube. I've heard a guy call them a plumbers plug at a show but i cant find anything under that name.

Does anyone know what im talking about? Does anyone have any cool pics of them or who might sell them?

thanks

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

well you can use a dollar plug/test plug like we use in plumbing, but its not really trick lookin. would be better hidden up in some tapered lakes. what car you talkin about? what style exhaust?

3. it was a turned up exhaust on a 30's tudor sedan at a show in denver. i wish i took a picture of it. the one on this car looked like they had a wingnut that was twisted to lock them in place to keep anybody from dropping stuff inside the exhaust

4. nope. they go inside the tube

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Something along the lines of a rubber freeze plug with a wingnut instead of a hex nut, I imagine.

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

7. [​IMG] exhaust.jpeg

i found one!!! kinda like this. i found this one on pinkees page. what are they called? exhaust plug? cap?

im not sure if these are just push in or what? id like to have ones that screwed in or something......something that wouldnt blow out.

i would like to use them to plug the end while i drive and want to be quiet.

8. yes!!! something like that

9. skunx1964

skunx1964

ya. do you have a full system tied into it under the car? usually thats what theyre used for. you could use a plumbing one, and have a nicer top plate made and get a cool wing nut...

10. its what im trying to design. wouldnt that rubber get too hot?

11. skunx1964

skunx1964

depends on how far it is from the motor. real short headers would get too hot, but i think itd survive on most lakes. i havent tried tho. i think scootermcrad was trying to work out this same deal, try searching for that thread

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I think Ionia Speed Shop has made/done some real bitch'in ones....

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

. I've heard a guy call them a plumbers plug at a show but i cant find anything under that name.

Does anyone know what im talking about? Does anyone have any cool pics of them or who might sell them?

thanks[/QUOTE]

Are you thinking of the plugs that are used in industrial water mains? They thread into a pipe?

14. If you're talking about a plumber's plug it consists of a tapered rubber plug ,a washer on top & on the bottom and a bolt thru it that tightens with a wing nut.It expands as you tighten the nut.Hope this helps.

15. skunx1964

skunx1964

Are you thinking of the plugs that are used in industrial water mains? They thread into a pipe?[/QUOTE]

do an image search on google for dollar plug or test plug. threaded plugs are different

16. both of those look like they would work but theyll be less than 2' from the engine.......i think theyll get too hot. i wonder if i made them along the lines of the way a bicycle holds the handlebars inside the neck...