Register now to get rid of these ads!

Route 66 Drive- Planning stage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tin Indian, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

So Im finally taking the plunge and getting hitched next May. So when my darling wife to be ask me what I would like to do about a honeymoon, the only thing that pops into my head is ROADTRIP!

Ive been wanting to take a road trip down rt 66 since for the last 10 years, but nobody has ever wanted to go with me. Gas was too expensive at .98 cents a gallon. Well its finally gonna happen. To my surprise, she thinks its a great idea.

SO, this is what I need from my fellow Hambers, what should I be planning? I wanna know what im in store for. We have no destination, the only thing she said is she wants to hit the beach at some point, so Out to California we shall go. I realy want this trip to be about the drive and the things you see along the way. The grand canyon is a must and I have full intentions of driving an hour or two out of my way to see the worlds largest ball of twine, and the worlds largest frying pan and so forth.

So whos done it, whats kool, wheres it at and how do I get there? I wanna hear from people that been there, dun that and Id be crazy not to stop here whille Im there. You know?

Just tryng to get the most out of my honey moon, bc who knows when Ill be able to do it again. I what to hit as much stuff as I can.

No major highways, no turn pikes. I wanna run the two lanes in my 55 pontiac all the way to the coast.

Calling all HAMBErs!
    whatcha got for me?

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

go to chicago and head west/southwest. there is still plenty of skinny road left. go a google for rt 66...there's lots to do.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage. Secondly, this will be an unforgetable trip for you both to take. Try to not be too rigid on your plans along the route, as you will undoubtedly stumble upon things that will throw you off your timetable. It's not about the destination, but the journey! Enjoy!!!

4. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. If you wanna take two lanes to the coast, consider the Lincoln Highway. More of it still intact than 66.

Heck, do both, one each way!

5. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

No plan is definitly the plan.

6. Tony D.

Tony D.

Don't forget to check Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food network. They've been to several cool places on Route 66.

Have a great trip and congrats!!

7. this has been covered a bunch on here before (search) however find any RT66 books by Micheal Wallis he is the guru on RT66 also the tech guy on the movie CARS and the voice of the cop car in the movie

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

google route 66 and get all directions you can. Get street maps of major cities. Keep in mind there were pre. '37 and post '37 routes so you will run into two parallel routes in some cases. Allow two weeks at least and have fun.

Attached Files:

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Join the Route 66 Society and get detailed maps...it sure helped me

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

If you've never been too far west, Oatman Arizona is fun. It's very close to the California state line. Wild burros in the streets...staged cowboy shootouts on the weekends...ghost town type of deal. Closest big town is Kingman Arizona.

11. BinderRod

BinderRod

Be sure and check out the worlds biggest ball of string in Missouri:)

12. yeah and ya aint a man unless ya drive your hotrod up the back road outa Kingman to oatman (no gardrails)...........:eek:

13. I actually did this on our honeymoon. I say, do the original route. Even though some of it takes you right along the freeway, a lot of the road goes through some really fun places! On top of my list: Cadillac Ranch (Amarillo TX), WigWam Village in Holbrook AZ, and the Petersen Hot Rod museum in LA. We did the trip in 3 weeks. I would suggest at least that long, and be as impulsive as you can be. Too much planning, causes you to miss a lot of the freedom that the route embraces! Bring clothes to cover all seasons, since Flagstaff may be very cold, while Kingman, only a half days drive, is very hot. In July, it went from 60 in Flagstaff to 100 in Kingman, through a rain storm in about 4 hours. And take a TON of pictures!

14. waldo39

waldo39
    from Illinois

Be sure and be " standin' on the corner in Winslow, Arizona." If you like old Ford trucks. ;o)

15. krooser

krooser

66 Drive-in Carthage, MO

The Blue Whale just east of Tulsa, OK

Oatman Pass in Arizona.

16. DanD 30

DanD 30

I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. I'll be getting married this July and me and the wife-to-be are planning a honey moon cross country trip as well. We plan on taking 3 week to do it, so it will definitely be a whirlwind tour seeing as our starting point is Massachusetts. We were thinking of taking a truck camper, but I am toying with the Idea of towing my 41' Pickup along as well just to have a fun vehicle to drive after we park the camper.

So keep the places to see coming, and any suggestions/words of wisdom are appreciated!

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

congrats man. nice call on the road trip.

18. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

Congrats!! This is something I have always wanted to do..... uh, but in the opposite direction! Very jealous! You will have the drive of your life :).. take lots of pics and post please!

20. jez95xj

jez95xj

You can't go wrong with this trip... My new wife and I just took this trip for our Honeymoon for the month of Oct. We left Kansas with no plans and no reservations. Just make sure you take all the time you can stop and look around I think we spent like 4 day in OK alone AZ was the next best state we went through for driving the route un interrupted. We took a 51 Chevy with a teardrop camper we spent half a majority of the time talking to people. At allot of the little stops when we would come out people would be taking pictures of our truck and trailer like they were part of the scenery. I need to get to work on our pictures. PM me if you have any questions.

Congrats on you engagement and enjoy your trip. That stretch from Kingman to Oatman is amazing. Oatman was very cool to look at but very tourist trappy.

21. Don't Forget Wynona....

22. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

there is a fantastic book called "The mother road" get it, go to Amazon and get it and the "Here we are" travel maps. you wont be sorry!
    Fritz

23. Ain't that the truth!! Especially when its 115 degrees in the shade and you got a bad load of premium in the tank at Needles, CA and its pinging all the way to Oatman!!

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Outside of Oatman, AZ on old Route 66</td></tr></table>

Don't miss Cool Springs just past Oatman!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Outside of Oatman, AZ on old Route 66</td></tr></table>

And Hackberry is a must stop!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

theres a burger joint on Route 66 in downtown Albuquerque across the street from New Mexico State called KELLYS, It was a ford dealership in the 30s and has a ton of pics and other stuff to check out from its past, plus they have thier own in house micro brewery. IMO a MUST STOP for one of the best burgers you will ever have.

And in Gallup NM on route 66 theres another great eating joint called EARLS and if you happen to stop there on a weekend, be prepared to wait in line to get in and a couple of the local native american indian tribes come to you table while you are eating selling hand made items. Breakfast cost me 75 bux one time LOL

25. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My brother and I drove 66 back from Flagstaff AZ to the motor city in 1984. We flew there, bought a 62 biscayne, stayed for 2 weeks and drove home. Wouldn't trade that trip for the world. Congrats on gettin hitched and have fun.

26. xix32

xix32

i took the rt66 trip from chicago to L.A. in `05 it was great. my first recommended stop would be the "dixie truckers home" in maclean,il for the best blueberry waffles, been right on old rt66 since 1929. but that's a little too far north for you, if coming from ohio. maybe you'll want to angle more to the southwest and connect with 66 at st,louis. if you do, watch for the remains of "johns modern cabins" a little west of rolla,mo.
    [​IMG]

27. yblock292

yblock292

when do you think you'll be hitting Oklahoma?

28. xix32

xix32

then get off rt44 and find the old rt66 for this cool old bridge still in use over the big piney river near a place called the devils elbo.
    [​IMG]