Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who builds Chevy 235 engines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dmac620

dmac620

I am looking to replace the 216 in my Chevy with a 235. I exploring all of my options now as this will be a winter project. A while back I remember reading a few posts about guys that were building 235's and selling them. I can't seem to find this info via the "search" Does anyone know the names or websites of the companies that are selling turn-key 235's? Thanks.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi dmac620. Check with Patrick's. They restore and sell complete and restored '48-'55 first-series Chevy pickups...I'll bet they'll sell a complete and rebuilt 235 engine, although they're across the country from you. Check also with major engine remanufacturers in your area...you might be surprised. A large engine-rebuild company in my area not only offers the usual modern engines, but the 235's as well. -- Rick

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Build your own; If you figure the basic cost of parts and machine shop labor, a motor overhauled by somebody else will cost twice that or more. Besides if somebody else does it you don’t know what shortcuts were taken. If you do it yourself, you know.

A Chivvy six motor comes in 4 major parts. Any motor overhaul manual has step by step procedures for this. With diligence at every turn of a thread, use a steady hand, don‘t do anything without first finding out the why’s and wherefore’s of each action, you can do it. It ain’t rocket science.

You can farm out the machine work; even send parts to different people or shops. Complete overhaul parts/gaskess kit will run you around four hundred or less (new cam, pistons, rings, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, timing gear/chain, oil pump and gaskets) Buy that after you know what size the cylinder holes and crankshaft journals will be.
    1) Block; Have it tanked, then piston holes bored for next practical oversize piston size, new cam bearings, and check/mill deck if necessary to assure head will fit snug.
    2) Rotating assembly. Have the crankshaft reground to the next practical undersize dimensions. Have rods checked for alignment and true fit, and pistons fit to rods. Have the machinist that checks/aligns the connecting rods do that, you can put the rings on when you assemble the motor.
    3 (Head. Take it a machine shop ask for a basic valve job, which will include surfacing to match flat surface of block.
    4) Bolt on stuff. Manifolds, flywheel, water pump, etc; Have fun assembling it. (With diligence at every turn of a thread, use a steady hand, don‘t do anything without first finding out and knowing in your own head the why’s and wherefore’s of each action, you can do it. It ain’t rocket science.)

You can get a heads up on what to expect on assembly if you get a motor stand and take the motor apart yourself, taking time to take notes and reason out everything as you do that. Note what direction components are aimed, rod and main bearing cap positioning and orientation, etc. If you have never done it before, enlist a mentor, have him stop by before you start, visualize the sequence of disassembly and do it in steps. With three of four visits from a mentor, you’ll have a pile of parts ready to haul off for machining and know how it’s going back together already.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. panic

panic

Very expensive to do a complete overhaul.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey dmac620, listen to 29Nash. It's not hard to do this yourself, and it certainly is not expensive as panic mistakenly stated...not nearly as expensive as paying someone else to do it! Good luck. -- Rick

stik70 likes this.
  6. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

I have about $2300 in my '60 235. That includes machine work, oversize pistons, cam, and the assembly kit. I put it together myself; it wasn't hard at all.

7. I spent about $1750 to do a complete overhaul on a 261 motor last year, so there's a ball park figure if you go the DIY route...

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Don't buy a "Turn-Key" engine from a assembly line rebuild place !

Really it isn't that hard to do a rebuild yourself and then you really know what was done and replaced on your engine ! you can do all the upgrades to it just like you wan ti to be like ! The only tool you will need is a torque wrench and I am sure someone or one of your buddy's will have one to borrow . The machinist does all the rest . Plus you will be able to tell everyone that YOU REBUILT THE ENGINE YOURSELF ! You can get all the information from anyone on here to guide you through the entire rebuild ! Something to thing about before you buy one that is a "turn-key" !

RetroJim

9. If you have the patience, you can find 235s and 261s in good shape for next to nothing.

I could see rebuilding a a 913 or 868 head to use on any engine, and good heads are getting a bit rare, but unless its a late, full oil 261, or something for a #s matching, the cost for a rebuild is a bit high for me.

Just run a $100 motor till its about toast or blows, if it will, then get another.

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I just picked up a complete 235 with carb. for free this morning. I'm re gasketing it and putting it in a 53 chevy truck I am restoring.

11. dmac620

dmac620

I have to admit, I am intimidated by the inner working of an engine. I have worked alot on cars (body work, welding, exhaust, wiring, interior, etc.) but always farmed out my engine and trans work. The replies to this thread have really peaked my interest into diving head first into a rebuild.

Anyone have a decent 235 for sale in the New Jersey area that can get me started?

12. panic

panic

Limiting it to post 1954 motors:
    4 different size main bearings
    4 different size cam bearings

Read Frohmader's article on Webrodder to see how complex these are.

13. panic

panic

You mean except for the shims in the bearings, lack of alignment dowels for caps, internal water squirters, strange seals, external oil lines?

Yup - exactly like a slant 6... or not.

14. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

In have a 235 from a 56 truck. It is complete from air filter to oil pan and turn freely. I paid $100 for it early summer '09 from a HAMBer. I was told it was in running condition when pulled but can't prove it. I am a bit of a drive from you, 1 hour west of Dayton, OH.

I later decided I should use the Jasper rebuilt bellybutton with less than 5000 miles I have sitting in my 79 Z28 rust bucket instead.

15. The Stig

The Stig
    from The Moon

It cost me almost $5000 to build my 235 last year. $1500 just for machine shop labor. Patrick's is the #1 source for good parts and experience. Had it align bored so it didn't need main cap shims, had it decked, head milled, bored, balanced, crank polished, modern rear main seal, all new internals, big ass cam, hidden oil filter system, 4 barrel, headers, electronic ignition.... If your gonna do it, do it right. Looks killer, runs amazing and sounds mean as hell.

FrankenRodz likes this.
  16. panic

panic

What a great comeback - run out of facts? Just use insults.

I dont even mknow what they are - some sort of a gardening device
    Perhaps a service manual might be useful here, try reading one.

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I sell good used tested 235 engines and others. Building one right now.

18. I sent you a pm.

19. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Check out Patricks , or clifford performance for parts ! My HA/GR is on his website even ! With a old free 235 6 banger ,tons of torq. Them motors sure were sweet !!!

20. RacerRick

RacerRick

I just gave my engine builder a 55' 235 to sell as a core to another guy who wants one. Try your local guys - you might be surprised. You might be surprised at the price for a rebuild kit also!

21. synthsis

synthsis

I might be selling the 235 out of my AD truck if I decide to go with an S-10 drivetrain/chassis setup. I'm just down 295 in South Jersey too.

22. hotdamn

hotdamn

I spent a small fortune building the 235 in my 54 but the head was milled .125 with a rough idle Howard cam, bored .60 over with all the goodies:)

the gentleman that built mine was Troy Robertson of Old Inline Power in Huntersville N.C.

pm me if you want his phone number.
    be aware that if you build it hot you can build a belly button for the same price with double the horse power.

but you never can repop that rapping sound of a 235 with a cam!!!!

23. Discodale

Discodale

Hi! I'm new to the forum but interested in a rebuilt 235 for a 52 Chevy Pickup. I'm not too far from you (Sedalia, Mo.) How do we get together?

24. donsz

donsz

You could also contact Tom Langdon at Stovebolt Engine Company. I bought a re-done 261 Block and 848 head from him some years back and assembled it myself. He is out of Livionia Michigan. Good guy.
    don

25. Irishman

Irishman

I swapped out the 216 in my project for a 235. Just keep scanning CL...they *do* come up with surprising regularity (well in my area anyway).

I was stuck with the old 216 sitting in my garage and couldn't give the damn thing away even with me draped semi naked over the thing. That may have been the problem.

So, I decided to take it apart just for kicks and get some junk out of it to make stuff. I know nothing about engine building, but it struck even me as to how simple an engine it was.

Hell, try and find a decent running one and don't be afraid to tackle some of the work yourself....if it even needs it.

26. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

No it's not. I just did mine, full machine work, rebuilt head, all parts from Patrick, mild cam, dual carb, Mallory dizzy, etc, etc. I got less in it than a small block woulda cost. I've got less tha 5k in it and she makes huge tourque, sounds nasty and knocks down 28mpg with my T-5

You might want to call Tom Langdon though for a few parts. If your going to run a split manifold, get it from him. The one Patrick sells isn't cast to allow the clamps that hold the intake and exhaust manifold down to fit. You will end up having to do a lot of cutting and grinding to make them work which means a lot of on and off with the parts, it's a pain in the ass. Also, Tom sells a great dual carb package that work way better than anything else I tried. They don't look as cool, but they work excellent. Besides, once you put an air cleaner on you can hardly see them anyway. I ran a Mallory dizzy, and it works great put the inferred eye that manages the spark is delicate. You can't put jumper cables or a jumper box on the battery or else the eye will burn up. Langdon sells a modified unit from an S-10 that he says is the balls, and you can get parts anywhere. I would probably have tried that if I had to do it again. Also, make sure whoever you get your stuff from you ask if it's back ordered. I waited almost 9 months for some stuff from Patrick, not his fault, but I would have liked to have known in advance. Langdon has a number for a guy that sells the matching Offy side cover if your going to use an Offy valve cover. Patrick sells only the Wayne stuff, it's just personal choice. I have more experience to share with you, PM me if you have more questions. Good luck, you'll love the In Lines!

27. ernsetp

ernsetp
    from Kansas

I have a used 235 engine with a powerglide out of a 53 chevy. Is anyone interested in buying it? Also I have sheet metal parts from the same car.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a classified section to post for sale items in. Not many members want to buy anything from a one time poster who isn't a participating member on the board though. It's rather like calling out "hey rubes I got some junk I want to screw you on".

panhead_pete likes this.
  29. carrillorodder

carrillorodder
    from Phoenix

Patrick's will have everything you need.:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. charleydodge

charleydodge

yo demac, i have a spare 235 on a stand that was taken out of a 60's era nova. it's been outside covered on a stand for 2 years now. you are welcome to it, or if anybody else wants it. also have trans for it. i believe it's a power-glide.