Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 Purple Nurple A - 360 Headers Mock Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Nov 6, 2009.

1. doctorZ

doctorZ

So, after years of lurking and commenting (both positively and negatively) on y'alls' cars, I figured it was time to post a couple pics of mine. Don't be too harsh! It is just mocked up, so all the bulky stuff hanging off the crossmembers and such will be smoothed or removed.
    The engine is an empty 327 SBC with a set of NOS Stahl 360 headers.
    The body is a 1930 Sedan that has been chopped and hacked to hell and is slowly being reassembled. The frame is a 1932 that was custom pinched for the body and to end behind the 1929 grill shell. It has also been shortened about 4 feet (yes, almost 4 feet).
    Sorry about the bad picture quality. My only camera is my iPhone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Day-amn, Watson, I'd say that's quite progressive! Betcha itchin to HEAR it!

3. pompadour

pompadour

Those headers look killer...Build it getting there keep on keeping on

4. Those are the strangest headers I've ever seen. I like.

5. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

You have to post some video when its ready to be fired up. got to sound bitchen.

6. kraka138

kraka138

those headers are so bitchen

7. pompadour

pompadour

8. cafekid

cafekid

dude that thins is gonna be killer and i agree get that motor runnin and post up a video.

9. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Love those headers...somebody scored some awhile back & was looking for more info...How the hell did you find a nos pair?? Very kool find..

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Yea tell us the story on the headers,cars gonna be bitchin!!

11. trad27

trad27

cool I like it, this is going to be good. Did I see it right? is your front crossmember upside down, is it staying like that?

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Nice pipes!! Cool A:cool:

13. We need a side shot to see what this shortenin's all about.

14. dvmnorthwest

dvmnorthwest

Would you mind explaining the thinking behind the header design in addition to the story of where they came from? Wherever and why-ever, they are freaking cool looking!

15. chevymike

chevymike

This build freakin' rocks. Very cool headers!!!

16. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

The reason for those headers built like they are is to even out the pulses in all four collectors. you have to spread out the firing order in even pulses to help flow. It also makes some great noise, makes a real smooth sound.

17. Babyearl

Babyearl

I snagged a set of those headers on ebay about 4 months back for $200.00,, old speed shop sale. There was the original bill from stahl dated '82 for $600.00 That was my best buy ever...

18. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

those are crazy looking. you definately need to post a video of those after you get that motor running, or if anyone else has one please post it

19. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

20. budd

budd

21. 067chevy

067chevy

What the deal with th front crosmember. Cool headers

22. doctorZ

doctorZ

I know!! I can't wait to here it. Alas, I have a good amount of time before I can buy the parts to fill the engine. I am going to save up and do it proper rather than just throwing it together or dumping in a pick-n-pull motor.

Actually, they weren't too bad. I did a favor for the owner so he sold them to me at cost!! (yea, cost when they were made back in the day!!!)

Actually, I got them from Jere Stahl, the owner and engineer for Stahl Headers. I have been emailing back and forth with him for about 7 months or so before he sold them to me. By the time it was done, I had submitted pictures of my build, a resume, a short essay on how 180 and 360 headers work and helped him sell some of his vintage stuff. It was definitely not the easiest part to get my hands on, but well worth it in my opinion.

Yes it is! Good eye. The spring goes on top instead of under. Similar to what Pinkees does. I wanted a very low stance. I realize this is not traditional at all, but neither is the rest of the car.
    I guess this is as good a time as any to mention that. Though I consider this a HAMB friendly build, it will not be period correct. I am having a lot of fun with it, but am not restricting myself to any specific time, era or style. Sorry!!!

These are 360's. Four pipes and they each get an exhaust pulse for every 360 degrees of the crank. 180 pipes have two outlets and get one pulse for every 180 degrees of crank rotation.

As far as the shortening goes, I will have to post pictures at a later time. As you can see, I only have a couple feet on either side of my car in my shop so I can't back up enough to take a side shot of it. Once I get the car rolling I will take it outside and show y'all what I have going on. I think most of you will enjoy it and some may hate it. Think: A400 without the convertible top.

23. Big Tony

Big Tony

If those aere the same headers i''m not sure i like the sound of them... hope you post a video of them. Congrats on the prog

24. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Cool build! what do 180 headers look like? I have a set of mystery small block headers that look very similar to yours with four collectors but do not crossover under the engine. My brother got them from a guy that has had them in his attic since the 60s.

25. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Cant wait to see more of your build! I like sedans...

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Interesting project, looking forward to seeing more pics

27. trad27

trad27

I love the way this car looks. I am not trying to nit pick at all, but with the front crossmember upside down the whole wieght of the front end is held up by the u- bolts, are they strong enough?

28. doctorZ

doctorZ

the 180 degree headers will still cross under or over the engine. without matching the firing order side-to-side wouldn't be 180's or 360's.

29. these are 180's

[​IMG]

30. doctorZ

doctorZ

^^ yup, those are the ford ones. i think there is a thread on here somewhere where somebody did an install with them. if i remember correct, they had to install the engine with them already on. i am sooo glad i didn't have to do that.