Register now to get rid of these ads!

things have changed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onlychevrolets, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Shoot, you can get a McDouble, small fries and a large sweet tea at McDonalds for $3.00 now .. :D

2. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I'm 31...

A real barber is becoming scarce..."bleached blondes"...real music...my home and car did not shake and rattle from every ones speakers...men were "more often" men and women "more often" women...summers playing baseball pick-up games...without the internet, beepers, cell phones etc. the world was an adventure...Saturday morning cartoons...project bikes and cars were to be found at a reasonable price...decent girls...most things I miss from before I was a teen...I could listen to both Ronnie Milsap and Fleetwood Mac w/o too many weird looks

I DON'T miss Vanilla Ice. (early in the thread) Seriously. He used to sit in the back of the school bus rapping Beastie boys with the other bully big kids.

I don't miss Michael Jackson either.

I miss being able to speak simple truths w/o being judged and called names.

I can't even get a part time job around here anymore without speaking Spanish....I would not need a second job if.....NEVER MIND. THIS IS NOT THEN.

3. Like this?

2008-03-29 Cannon 170.jpg

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I forgot all about them.....we used to do that too !

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

when fresh donuts and bread came right to you house, everyday...

[​IMG]

and milk and orange juice came three times a week

[​IMG]

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

All through Jr. High wooden paddles were the standard equipment in most classrooms, usually displayed in plain view behind the teachers desk.
    In wood shop those guys that didn't tow the mark were typically assigned the task of making paddles for various teachers....

They were used liberally and, in some cases, with gusto:eek::eek:

Rich

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

they sold toys that actually taught you how to build stuff

[​IMG]

8. Pez

Pez

Spooky, must be a psychic link between my 16 year old daughter and yours :eek:

9. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

We actualy have a service station in town that will pump gas for the older people. They have two lift bays do repairs. My favorite is they still have the old fashon dinger when you pull in. The only gas station I will use the best thing NO lotto tickets. I hate waiting 10 min while someone takes ten min pickin them out.

10. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I the town where I grew up there was Mr. Harrison's Sinclair Station. I have great memories of his full service station. Gas, oil and two mechanics. Tires, wipers and motor oil. The smell of grease and anti freeze. Well those days are gone. Full service that is...

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

you could order cool stuff that never worked or never was shipped...:mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Dam I forgot all about Green Machine.

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

lets send in for them seeds...

14. My Erector set had an electric motor and all kinds of gears and pulley's. At my Dad's grocery store we sold potatoes in a 5# paper bag. ( I bagged them). Pop was in a machine with about 5 or 6 slots and you put your nickle in and pulled the bottle to the end and it pulled up through a gate. Log Cabin syrup came in a can that looked like a cabin. (Hard as hell to stack on the shelf). One went back to the meat counter and told the butcher what you wanted. I "candled" eggs. Had a coffee can with a light bulb in it and a board that fit over the end with a hole in it and one held an egg up to it to make sure it didn't have a baby chicken in it. As I said before, no dial phone, call the operator. We didn't have a TV until 1953. Was a GE "table model" that had a table it sat on that made it look like a "console" model. 3 channels and no "sleep mode". Tires lasted about 20K miles maybe if you took care of them (which I didn't). Nylon tires came out and Goodyear Double Eagles were the cat's ass. I didn't have those. Spark plugs may last 10K, maybe. $5.00 would last all weekend. Hang out at drive inn's or restaurants somewhere or truck stops because they stayed open late. Went and parked somewhere out in the boonies with the g/f and if you got to touch a tit you were in hog heaven and that's after you dated her for 6 months. I had never heard of a lesbian until after I was over 18 years old and left the Ozarks. I had never heard of marijuana until I left MO. The police in my little town didn't tolerate open exhaust but one could open their "hackers" in Springfield. Yep, that was the days ......... or were they? Sounds good now though and is fun reminiscing. Even today you can go to Cracker Barrel and see all the old signs and stuff.

15. You and 80% of the rest of us. I bet the airlines and bus companies miss the 'good ol days' when the majority of their customers could see their feet...

Dang spoiled rich kids.... m

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Man this is great....Customline, Our first color TV ( the fist in the neighborhood too ) had a round picture tube, and it made a buzz sound when you tuned it on. Had time to run to the kitchen for a drink before the picture came on. We had channel 2 , 5, 8 (PBS) and 11, when I was 15 Atlanta got UHF stations they where 17 ( now TBS ) and channel 30 also PBS

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

18. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

the star spangled banner then beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

19. I'm from Wisconsin and my first word was "Coke" because all the young Moms would go to the Pharmacy Soda Fountain with their babies to gather and gossip and I became addicted to that elixir of the gods!

Pepsi is and was for Commies... no shit... the Ruskies and the red Chinese thought Coke was too American and they chose Pepsi!!!

I'll see if I can find a photo of a Russian Bear flying off our coast and a comrad was holding a Pepsi bottle in the window of the aircraft... might as well be whipping us the "bird"... blasphemous!!!!

One thing that has remained constant fronm the late fifties to this past year are thr Bear fly-overs!!!

Here's a little history of the Ruskies and their Bears... note the different generations of the interceptor aircraft!

800px-F-102A_57th_FIS_intercepting_Bear_1970.jpg 570a88d921570a34_large.jpg

777px-F-106A_102FIW_Tu95D_CapeCod_1982.jpeg Phantom Bear.jpg

Tu-95MS_and_F-15C.jpg Russian-Tu-95-fly-over-Nort.jpg

<iframe marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="http://www.thestar.com/videozone/embed/594092" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="320" width="400"></iframe>

Oh... and our TV remote control was who ever was sitting closest to the TV...!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  20. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I miss Bob Ross & his hair!:)

Attached Files:

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had one channel on our tv for over ten years. No arguments on what you were going to watch when. KIMA Channel 29 and it's still going strong today.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

22. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I grew up in the Bay area in the 60's, Friday nights at 11, Creature Feature, Saturday morning cartoons and once a year they played the Wizard Of Oz, all the kids would find the best TV and that would be the house to watch it. King Norman's Toy store, the best in California for models, good stuff.

23. Diavolo

Diavolo

I saw him last weekend!

I miss playing outside till the sun went down and nobody worried about a little kid getting snatched.

I miss the belief that if you left the light on in the bathroom, you could leave town for a week. I can imagine a thief walking by the house and telling his partner "Not that house, the whole family is in the bathroom, can't you see the light is on?!?

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Bob Ross!!!!!! Happy trees.

25. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

this is a great thread. my memory is shot, but reading all the posts kinda gets all the brain cells workin' and it all starts coming back again. like getting charles chips delivered to the house and watching the honeymooners with jackie gleason and art carney, and i love lucy and dragnet. jiffy pop popcorn and good n' plenty, ovaltine, and fluffer nutter and peanut butter sandwiches. yeah it's all coming back to me now.

26. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Now, I'm 30 but maybe I'm young enough to explain this one. When my mother calls me she goes on and on and... If I don't answer, she'll send me a text with a direct question that I can answer in 160 characters or less. Mom's great and I love her dearly. I see her weekly and we talk often but some of those daytime/evening calls are better text conversations. Just sayin...

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I'm only 27 but I remember carrying a quarter to make a phone call. I really miss being "disconnected" sometimes. People used to focus on the reality in front of them, now we're all addicted to checking our phones for email and texts the instant we get bored.

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

its a choice...I used my cell phone for a total of 4 minutes for the entire 2008...that one minute more than 2007

29. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

A real bumper...

Attached Files:

30. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

I remember at 13-14 being able to jump into an unregistered 66 Ford wagon tailgate down with all my buddies and driving down to the lake for a swim. Nobody cared until the "new houses" went in on the old farm up the street and someone called the police. He felt real bad telling us we had to stop driving it around. Sometimes I long for those days - Scrump